Joe Burns

marck

Could somebody please explain why Joe Burns made the 53 man roster. He has done nothing in his career, was injured during the preseason and when he has played has shown nothing.

Based on his small size and lack of blocking ability, I would have thought Luke Lawton would have been a much sounder choice to be on the roster.

Somebody, please tell me why this guy is not on the NFL scrapheap.

Could somebody please explain why Joe Burns made the 53 man roster.  He has done nothing in his career, was injured during the preseason and when he has played has shown nothing.

Based on his small size and lack of blocking ability, I would have thought Luke Lawton would have been a much sounder choice to be on the roster.

Somebody, please tell me why this guy is not on the NFL scrapheap.

20556[/snapback]

Agreed. Unless Burns really means that much to ST? But I don't see it. Lawton is a Buffalo guy bar none. And while we're at it, does Dorenbos really deserve a spot, too? Not a bad kid, but when we are splitting hairs trying to figure out who to keep, a guy who is only a long-snapper merits a spot?

the answer to your question is simple. obviously the coaching staff are idiots and don't know nearly as much as a couple of fans watching preseason games.

no, i don't have the specific answer. but burns played his way onto the team last year and must have had a very good offseason before being injured heading into training camp. let's face it; the only playing time he'll see is on ST, so he must have made a good impression there.

I don't know, how did Lawton grade out in the pre-season in the all important to football beating someone's ass stat.

20635[/snapback]

He laid the wood quite a few times. :rolleyes:

Not sure what you are talking about. Joe Burns is a solid FB and can also run the ball. He has excellent receiving skills plus he is a solid special teamer. Lawton just doesn't have the versatility that Burns has. Do you remember when they kept him his first year? There were teams (colts being 1) just watching the waiver wire for him. The guy is good and deserves to be on the 53.

What is up with this love fest for Luke Lawton? If he is so great, not only would he have been drafted but he also would have a team by now. None of the other 31 teams have even bothered to invite him to their practice squad.

As for Burns, he is more or less like Josh Stamer. A dependable backup who is still on the team because of his special teams abilities. I have no idea what Bobby April is thinking. He cut Dom Stevenson, our supposed special team ace, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because April has watched every practice along with the preseason games; you and I haven't.

There's only one reason why Joe Burns made the team. He's always Grinding.....He goes out every day/week/practice and plays hard as if his livelihood depended on it, and it does. He can't afford to dog it like some guys with the million dollar contracts. From reading some of the posts on this board, I thought that those were the kind of blue collar guys the bills were looking for since Buffalo is a blue collar town....

There's only one reason why Joe Burns made the team.  He's always Grinding.....He goes out every day/week/practice and plays hard as if his livelihood depended on it, and it does.  He can't afford to dog it like some guys with the million dollar contracts.  From reading some of the posts on this board, I thought that those were the kind of blue collar guys the bills were looking for since Buffalo is a blue collar town....

20827[/snapback]

I understand you are a supporter of Joe Burns, and maybe he is a real quality special teams player, but is that the prime criteria when the roster has a huge need for a back-up fullback. In my opinion, no it does not. The focus of our offense is the running game and what are the Bills going to do, if Shelton, blows a knee on Sunday afternoon?

I just feel that the performance difference between Burns and Lawton on special teams was minimal and since Lawton is bigger and has proven that he can catch a little bit, he deserved the roster spot more then a player who has limited upside and has shown us in numerous appearances that he is a marginally skilled player.

I understand you are a supporter of Joe Burns, and maybe he is a real quality special teams player, but is that the prime criteria when the roster has a huge need for a back-up fullback.  In my opinion, no it does not.  The focus of our offense is the running game and what are the Bills going to do, if Shelton, blows a knee on Sunday afternoon?

I just feel that the performance difference between Burns and Lawton on special teams was minimal and since Lawton is bigger and has proven that he can catch a little bit, he deserved the roster spot more then a player who has limited upside and has shown us in numerous appearances that he is a marginally skilled player.

20891[/snapback]

Burns can catch and if anything showed last year he is a good blocker from the RB spot. He did blitz pickup and straight pass blocking skills last year that we haven't seen in a while. His running skills lacked but as a FB that is not what his job is.

There's only one reason why Joe Burns made the team.  He's always Grinding.....He goes out every day/week/practice and plays hard as if his livelihood depended on it, and it does.  He can't afford to dog it like some guys with the million dollar contracts.  From reading some of the posts on this board, I thought that those were the kind of blue collar guys the bills were looking for since Buffalo is a blue collar town....

20827[/snapback]

The Bills are pretty much just looking to win and whether a guy is blue collar, white collar or no collar at all because he doesn't wear a shirt winning overshadows all problems except for ones involving the law and it overshadows some of them as well.

The business prospers when the team wins so winning is a key there. Ralph is on the backside of his days on the planet so winning is the key for the sportsman as well.

Certainly, the team has a better chance at winning with high character versus low character guys, but this is an added element to the baseline of being a good player which is where it all starts.

Nude pictures of TD...I'm convinced that Burns has got em!  He keeps blackmailing Donahoe to keep him on the team.  Its all so clear now.

20728[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

One things for sure. This guy either has a BALCO Roids stash or just crushed the weight room. He'll always be vertically challenged but looks much stronger than last year. He does a good job on Special Teams.