Tim Settle - DT Va Tech

#34fan

40 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

I take it Jackson will be in the shotgun the whole time and will take off and run when Pettis isn't open on his first read?

Did you watch Michael Vick play when he was at Atlanta?  Or at Philly?  That dude was electric!  One of the most exciting players I have ever seen.  Any time he had the ball, there was a chance for a highlight play.  Vick also went #1 overall.  Lamar Jackson compares to Michael Vick.  If he play any where as Vick we are in great shape.  Look out NFL

25 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Why Settle for less?

Why not Settle?

I think once he learns how to steady his base, he'll be dangerous... He ends up on the turf a lot because he'd rather lunge at the target, and get a piece than get stymied. -That's JMO.

7 hours ago, jjmac said:

Do you need to draft a QB in the early 1st round in order to have a franchise QB?

Jim Kelly: Pick #14-right in the middle of a then 28-team league

Dan Marino: Pick #27 of the same draft

Brett Favre, Drew Brees: 2nd round

Joe Montana:3rd round

Tom Brady: 6th round, pick #199

My point is that you can draft a QB outside of the first round, develop him, surround him with talent, and install the right system, and he can be a franchise QB.

On the other hand, how many 1st-round QBs have been draft busts?  JeMarcus Russell, Todd Marinovich, EJ Manuel, JP Losman, Ryan Leaf, just to name a few.

Only one of those examples is from this decade to show how old this argument is. Those guys sliding in the draft is exactly why QBs are taken earlier and earlier. Finding late round guys is not that common. People need to fall back on decades ago to have substantial examples beyond a few outliers. 

Now I'll name the franchise QBs taken early during this eon. Wentz, Goff, Mariota, Winston, Luck, Newton, Stafford, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, and the jury is out on Mitch, Mahomes, then there's Watson, but man did he look great this year. 

The 80s and 90s were fun though right. Give me a break. 

Edited by Elite Poster

3 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

Because, it's the most important position in football, and the Bills don't have one.  That's why.

Did you plan on taking a QB, the most important postion in football, in round 2-4, where settle will be drafted?  There are other things to discuss other than QBs. Drafting a Settle has nothing to do with what we do in rd 1 concerning a QB.  It’s a different discussion

17 hours ago, Pete said:

Did you watch Michael Vick play when he was at Atlanta?  Or at Philly?  That dude was electric!  One of the most exciting players I have ever seen.  Any time he had the ball, there was a chance for a highlight play.  Vick also went #1 overall.  Lamar Jackson compares to Michael Vick.  If he play any where as Vick we are in great shape.  Look out NFL

Seriously?  Your "evidence" is an 8 year old clip of Vick, McCoy and Maclin beating up on what was a terrible Redskins team at the time?

"Jackson compares to Michael Vick."

So, does this mean then that we can expect to get 1 or 2 good seasons out of Jackson until defensive coordinators figure out how to stop him (just as they did with Vick) until he has to go to Federal prison for a couple of years?

2 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

Seriously?  Your "evidence" is an 8 year old clip of Vick, McCoy and Maclin beating up on what was a terrible Redskins team at the time?

"Jackson compares to Michael Vick."

So, does this mean then that we can expect to get 1 or 2 good seasons out of Jackson until defensive coordinators figure out how to stop him (just as they did with Vick) until he has to go to Federal prison for a couple of years?

son, you obviously never watched Michael Vick.  How would you not be happy with a QB with Vick's ability?  Tyrod has gone up against many terrible teams.  It takes him 2.5 games to throw for 400 yards and 5 games to throw 6 TDs.  I am not hating on Tyrod.  I am just pointing out your dogmatic, myopic detective work

Edited by Pete

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

son, you obviously never watched Michael Vick.  How would you not be happy with a QB with Vick's ability?  Tyrod has gone up against many terrible teams.  It takes him 2.5 games to throw for 400 yards and 5 games to throw 6 TDs.  I am not hating on Tyrod.  I am just pointing out your dogmatic, myopic detective work

Year Team G GS Passing Rushing Sacked Fumbles
Att Comp Pct Yds Y/A TD Int Rtg Att Yds Avg TD Sack YdsL Fum FumL
2001 ATL 8 2 113 50 44.2 785 6.9 2 3 62.7 31 289 9.3 1 21 113 6 5
2002 ATL 15 15 421 231 54.9 2,936 7.0 16 8 81.6 113 777 6.9 8 33 206 9 6
2003 ATL 5 4 100 50 50.0 585 5.9 4 3 69.0 40 255 6.4 1 9 64 4 1
2004 ATL 15 15 321 181 56.4 2,313 7.2 14 12 78.1 120 902 7.5 3 46 266 16 7
2005 ATL 15 15 387 214 55.3 2,412 6.2 15 13 73.1 102 597 5.9 6 33 201 11 5
2006 ATL 16 16 388 204 52.6 2,474 6.4 20 13 75.7

Wow.  Look at those stats.  Especially his TD to INT ratios in 2004 and 2005.  SIGN ME UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SAVE US, LAMAR VICK!!!!!!!!<sarcasm>

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:21 PM, Elite Poster said:

Only one of those examples is from this decade to show how old this argument is. Those guys sliding in the draft is exactly why QBs are taken earlier and earlier. Finding late round guys is not that common. People need to fall back on decades ago to have substantial examples beyond a few outliers. 

Now I'll name the franchise QBs taken early during this eon. Wentz, Goff, Mariota, Winston, Luck, Newton, Stafford, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, and the jury is out on Mitch, Mahomes, then there's Watson, but man did he look great this year. 

The 80s and 90s were fun though right. Give me a break. 

The guys on my list have won more Super Bowls than yours.  And most of them weren't drafted in the fist round.

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:53 AM, Wsam4031 said:

No you definitely don't have to draft one early ion the first round but when you do you increase your chances of getting a franchise qb. Look at the numbers and percentage of success rate and high first round qbs are a lot better than a flier on a 3rd -6th rd qb

qbs bills drafted not in the top 10 since Kelley

Collins rd 2

Jp rd 1

Edwards rd 3

Levi Brown rd 7

ej rd 1

cardale rd 4

Peterman rd 5

We have picked all over the place except top 10 and haven't hit yet

But look at the non-first-round quarterbacks who have at least made it to the playoffs-something we've been able to do only this year-with Tyrod Taylor as a QB.

17 minutes ago, jjmac said:

But look at the non-first-round quarterbacks who have at least made it to the playoffs-something we've been able to do only this year-with Tyrod Taylor as a QB.

What non 1st round guy has had success with the bills? im in the boat of I want a franchise guy I don't want a taylor, or an ok guy to just get me to the playoffs. I want to be there every year competing for a title. Yes you can find a mid round guy who beats the odds and gives us that but the highest chance of that happening is to draft one as high as you can

Edited by Wsam4031

1 hour ago, Wsam4031 said:

What non 1st round guy has had success with the bills? im in the boat of I want a franchise guy I don't want a taylor, or an ok guy to just get me to the playoffs. I want to be there every year competing for a title. Yes you can find a mid round guy who beats the odds and gives us that but the highest chance of that happening is to draft one as high as you can

I'm OK with that, as long as your pick has a decent value at the spot where you draft him.  I don't want to see us reach for a QB just because we need a QB.

1 minute ago, jjmac said:

I'm OK with that, as long as your pick has a decent value at the spot where you draft him.  I don't want to see us reach for a QB just because we need a QB.

you are ok with a possibility of a playoff game every year? Im not I want to be in every year and not be 1 and done. Id rather reach and fail then not try and be 9-7 every year for another 18 years

1 hour ago, jjmac said:

The guys on my list have won more Super Bowls than yours.  And most of them weren't drafted in the fist round.

You completely skipped over the fact that none of them were drafted this decade some this millennia. In no other field of work do you fall back on how things were done 30 years ago for how to run your current business.

You are wrong. Tell me how many 2nd and beyond QBs have won Superbowls the last ten years, go ahead, include Brady, the anomaly once in a century 6th round HOF QB. 

I'll just do it for you. 6/10 first rounders. 2/10 Brady. The other two were Brees and Foles, who is going to he replaced by the 2nd overall MVP candidate. 

Edited by Elite Poster

1 minute ago, Wsam4031 said:

you are ok with a possibility of a playoff game every year? Im not I want to be in every year and not be 1 and done. Id rather reach and fail then not try and be 9-7 every year for another 18 years

I'm Ok with building up the rest of the team and filling the other holes we have as well.  There is not one QB in this draft we could trade up fore that would lead us to the playoffs this year.

Look at David Carr.  How many playoff games did he lead Houston to while averaging 40 sacks a year behind horrible offensive lines?

2 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

You completely skipped over the fact that none of them were drafted this decade some this millennia. In no other field of work do you fall back on how things were done 30 years ago for how to run your current business.

You are wrong. Tell me how many 2nd and beyond QBs have won Superbowls the last ten years, go ahead, include Brady, the anomaly once in a century 6th round HOF QB. 

Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, Nick Foles?

1 minute ago, jjmac said:

I'm Ok with building up the rest of the team and filling the other holes we have as well.  There is not one QB in this draft we could trade up fore that would lead us to the playoffs this year.

Look at David Carr.  How many playoff games did he lead Houston to while averaging 40 sacks a year behind horrible offensive lines?

Once again, you only have examples from 100 years ago. Do you visit a doctor who only practices medicine from the 80s? 

3 minutes ago, jjmac said:

Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, Nick Foles?

Now tell me about the QBs who have played in a Superbowl and compare which round they were drafted in. 

2016 most sacked qbs.  We built up this team everywhere except qb for the last 20 years and have won nothing. We need a top flight qb and the best way to get that is at the top of the draft. Just because a qb gets sacked a lot doesn't mean he cant win

1 Russell Wilson Seattle Seahawks QB 47
2 Aaron Rodgers Green Bay Packers QB 45
2 Matt Ryan Atlanta Falcons QB 45
4 Tyrod Taylor Buffalo Bills QB 42
5 Andy Dalton Cincinnati Bengals QB 41
5 Andrew Luck Indianapolis Colts QB 41
7 Carson Palmer Arizona Cardinals QB 40
7 Matthew Stafford Detroit Lions QB

11 minutes ago, Wsam4031 said:

2016 most sacked qbs.  We built up this team everywhere except qb for the last 20 years and have won nothing. We need a top flight qb and the best way to get that is at the top of the draft. Just because a qb gets sacked a lot doesn't mean he cant win

1 Russell Wilson Seattle Seahawks QB 47
2 Aaron Rodgers Green Bay Packers QB 45
2 Matt Ryan Atlanta Falcons QB 45
4 Tyrod Taylor Buffalo Bills QB 42
5 Andy Dalton Cincinnati Bengals QB 41
5 Andrew Luck Indianapolis Colts QB 41
7 Carson Palmer Arizona Cardinals QB 40
7 Matthew Stafford Detroit Lions QB

But it is hard to throw when you are on the turf. 

13 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

Once again, you only have examples from 100 years ago. Do you visit a doctor who only practices medicine from the 80s? 

Now tell me about the QBs who have played in a Superbowl and compare which round they were drafted in. 

Playing in one and winning one are two different animals.  I will give you that 1st-round QBs have the highest representation in the Super Bowl, but I don't want to trade up for one of the 1st-rounders in this draft.  None of them are worth it.  I'm not against drafting one in the 1st round, but I'll stay put at 12 and see who falls to that spot.

David Carr I believe was drafted in 2002, not the 80s. 

Edited by jjmac