Le’Veon Bell - worth $17 mill/yr?

8 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Except he doesn't.

Saying he gets 550-675 receiving yards a year, which equates him to a #2 receiver on most teams, only works if you assume running backs don't receive the ball at all, which most do, to some extent.

So he's not producing as much above other RBs as he is asking for.

Sport Trac actually did a good analysis on it, if I can find the article I'll post it, but he was only producing something like  10-15% overall more yards than the other top backs on the league.

They used the highest paid pack, Freeman, at like 8.25-8.5 mil per season, and said that bell is asking for almost double that, while producing 10-15% more stats.

Said that using that as a reference point,  10-12mil is fair, and that 15-17 is too high.

I think that it makes sense, but it's hard to quantify.

How much of his production is due to teams doing brown?

How much of Brown's is due to them stacking for Bell?

I would say that I agree with them that 10-12 a year is fair for him, and anybody who pays more than that is going to regret it.

Bell is threatening to retire if they franchise him again.

Brown and Ben are already locked up.

Bell is due 14.5 on the franchise this year even if they do.

Spotrac’s analysis of his value concurs with yours.  They have him at $10.7M per year, which, as you mention, is well above the next highest paid RB. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/leveon-bell-12329/market-value/

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

absolutely

5 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

I think you could be able to give him that kinda money if you had a rookie contract on a QB or something.

To pay RB and WR and QB a hefty sum....there wont be any cap room for anyone else.

Bell Ben and Brown don't really need much else in the offense. Bell doesn't need a line like most RBs. He's special like that. Ben knows that, as well as break plays to find AB. 

I'd give him... 10?

14 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Why not? He's the best dual threat offensive player in the league. If an often injured WR whose posted (1) 1000 yard campaign in 4 seasons and barely is over 3k in his career can get 16 million a year then why shouldn't the best RB in football? From a team perspective, no. No GM would but he is the best at what he does and has proven it for years now.

BTW: The WR's name sounds like Whammy Samkins.

Pretty much everyone agrees that the Sammy Watkins deal was a horrible one, though.

Edited by MJS