Wrap up of NFL owners annual meetings - talking points

Mike Rodak ESPN Staff Writer 

The Bills have the opportunity to opt out of their New Era Field lease in 2020 before it expires in 2023, but they will not opt out, a team spokesperson said Tuesday. Owner Terry Pegula, when asked about the possibility, told reporters at the owners meetings Tuesday, "We talk about that heavily internally, but not publicly." However, Pegula was only speaking generally about their future stadium plans. New Era Field, which is owned by Erie County

http://www.espn.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4812515/pats-approach-with-assistants-could-change-if-nfl-passes-new-hiring-rule

The McDaniels Rule.  

Keeps cowards from backing out of hirings.   

Ok ok.  Allows coaches to be hired before the season is officially over so that they don’t pull this unprofessional act.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:49 PM, MAJBobby said:

I faught for their right to use the 1st Amendment. They did. NO FREAKING ISSUE   

And again you know why Players even started coming out for the Anthem???  It was required BY NFL Military Contract to help recruiting efforts.

so again there is two ways actually three ways to fix this.

1.  Stop the Anthem

2. Keep players in lockroom

3. Get off your high horse and realize their is an issue in America and then taking a knee was a respectable way to protest.  And the ANTHEM is not their work. The Game hasnt started. 

What?

Sunday is a work day for NFL players. It starts several hours before game when they have mandatory time they must show up at stadium before game, then ALL day until game is over and mandatory interviews after game are done. I believe on road games taking the team flight back to home city is also mandatory unless excused by team.

Edited by cba fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Debrief: Sorting real, fake news at league meeting

FAKE NEWS?   Not in the NFL!!!  

The smokescreens were thick Tuesday morning, with 32 head coaches simultaneously meeting the media over bacon and Apple Jacks as the sun came up. With Bowles' curious comment already handled, I'm going to look at more of the interesting quotes and news to emerge from these meetings in an attempt to sort the real from the fake:

» Giants GM Dave Gettleman, when asked if he wants Odell Beckham on the team: "Next question."

» Bills GM Brandon Beane on potentially trading up: "I know that's the speculation. ... We really have a lot of discussions with a lot of teams about all sorts of things. ... Right now, we're just focused on 12. We're excited. Excited to be at 12, and I think we're going to get a really good player there."

» Vikings coach Mike Zimmer on expectations this season: "I don't look at this as Super Bowl or bust."

And many many more 

• Like (+1) 1

Owners approve Mark Davis, Oakland Raiders' stadium plan for Las Vegas …  

The Oakland Raiders moved another step closer to the Nevada state line when NFL owners approved the team's $1.8 billion stadium plan for Las Vegas.

League owners voted resoundingly in favor of the plan by a 31-1 margin on Tuesday at the annual NFL meetings in Orlando, Fla., according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

here's a good one   and its about freaking time 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000923540/article/rule-eliminates-xp-attempt-after-gamewinning-td

Rule eliminates XP attempt after game-winning TD

that XP was one of the dumbest things remaining in the NFL.   who did it serve but bookies

• Like (+1) 1

That is a good call. The game is over and there's no need for the extra play. 

Walk-off TD is more dramatic, anyway.

I can't wait to go to a Bills vs Raiders game in Vegas!

We shouldn't call the helmet rule "the Tre White rule."

That was illegal contact after the play. Totally different.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

That is a good call. The game is over and there's no need for the extra play. 

Walk-off TD is more dramatic, anyway.

I can't wait to go to a Bills vs Raiders game in Vegas!

We shouldn't call the helmet rule "the Tre White rule."

That was illegal contact after the play. Totally different.

The helmet rule doesn't apply WTR the Gronk hit as he used the brace on his elbow and the full weight of his lumbering body.  

The H to H hit will might be a big factor when they do it to QB's attempting to go down.  

This will Rock people's World

Terry Pegula says Bills are ‘in good shape’ with AJ McCarron, Nathan Peterman

Pegula, however, isn't ruling out the possibility of taking a non-quarterback in the first round. While speaking to the media at the 2018 NFL owners meetings, Pegula stated that Buffalo is "looking at all positions in the draft," also saying that the team is in "good shape with [quarterbacks] AJ McCarron and Nathan Peterman."

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Injury rates on NFL kickoffs remain so high that the league's competition committee will give a mandate: Make the play safer, or it will recommend its elimination in the near future.

At this week's owners meeting, the league's medical department presented statistics showing that concussions are five times as likely to happen on kickoffs than on an average play, according to Green Bay Packers president Mark Murphy -- who is a member of the competition committee. That rate has remained steady even after a rule change, made permanent at this meeting, to put the touchback at the 25-yard line.

"We've reduced the number of returns," Murphy told a small group of reporters, "but we haven't really done anything to make the play safer."

They should have adapted this last season.    It was still amazing people took kickoffs out from the EZ and would only get 15 yard return  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

http://amp.si.com/nfl/2018/03/27/nfl-owners-meeting-news-update

Houston Texans head coach Bill O'Brien says quarterback Deshaun Watson is ahead of schedule in ACL rehab and could be on the field throwing for OTAs.

Andrew Luck has begun throwing a football in his attempts to recover from a shoulder injury.

and more 

As I mentioned earlier 3 coaches missed the coaches photo. 

This year it's  coach Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick and  coach John Harbaugh. There's probably no actual interesting reason for why those guys aren't in there, outside of them having stuff to do. 

13 hours ago, cba fan said:

What?

Sunday is a work day for NFL players. It starts several hours before game when they have mandatory time they must show up at stadium before game, then ALL day until game is over and mandatory interviews after game are done. I believe on road games taking the team flight back to home city is also mandatory unless excused by team.

And I do believe their employers came out and said they had no issue

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Agreed, that was true at first but they walked that back a bit. 

Then of course they all went ballistic when Trump needlessly interjected and told everyone not to jump off cliffs...so what did they do?...like sheep waiting for directions.......they all jumped off cliffs. It is now to the point I don't think anyone knows what NFL and individual owners stance is now.

Some owners like Jones stated they wanted players to stand as written in employee rules for NFL players. Then you have the Tomlin fiasco that made him sound like a stutterer trying to win a Chines spelling bee with the Villanueva situation.

Trump just stirred it all back up again when it had died down. Stupid.

I wish Trump would come out and advise all players to take a knee every time they hear the anthem and to also strike at the next labor impasse, take more drugs, spend all their money in Vegas, etc etc...you get the picture.

Edited by cba fan

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

If their employers had no issue, why are they discussing what to " do about it" at the owners meetings? I'd bet at least some of the employers DO have an issue. The reasons might vary from personal opinion to the simple fact that a portion of the customer base doesn't like it. Ergo, it's bad for business .Either way it's a problem or it wouldn't be on the table for discussion. Peter King says it's likely to get pushed off into the June meetings, and he thinks it's going to get ugly. I tend to agree. 

16 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

If their employers had no issue, why are they discussing what to " do about it" at the owners meetings? I'd bet at least some of the employers DO have an issue. The reasons might vary from personal opinion to the simple fact that a portion of the customer base doesn't like it. Ergo, it's bad for business .Either way it's a problem or it wouldn't be on the table for discussion. Peter King says it's likely to get pushed off into the June meetings, and he thinks it's going to get ugly. I tend to agree. 

Why are they discussing it at the owners meetings??? Hmmmm because the NFL knows the current President and that if the make him upset he reacts and they have a huge windfall they want to keep (anti trust protections). Bottomline NFL as a entity is NOT an employer. The Individual Businesses (teams) are the employer. 

And the Individual Employeer that is very influential and Trumps Personal Friend (Jerry Jones) is championing this thing. Why do you think he went at Godell and his contract extension hmmmmm?

Edited by MAJBobby

7 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Why are they discussing it at the owners meetings??? Hmmmm because the NFL knows the current President and that if the make him upset he reacts and they have a huge windfall they want to keep (anti trust protections). Bottomline NFL as a entity is NOT an employer. The Individual Businesses (teams) are the employer. 

And the Individual Employeer that is very influential and Trumps Personal Friend (Jerry Jones) is championing this thing. Why do you think he went at Godell and his contract extension hmmmmm?

RE Donny.  Maybe Donny can have them fire off a 51 Gun Salute at the conclusion of the Anthem  (ok  back to being serious) 

A summation of what transpired this week at the Owners meetings..   

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/272769/guide-to-nfls-new-rules-what-to-know-about-approved-tabled-and-rejected-proposals

(now if some doesn't hijack the topic again by creating a new thread we can discuss)

oooh   One I didn't recall reading about 

A Belicheat Rule?  

Tabled rule: Video on sidelines

What it means: Incredibly, in the year 2018, the NFL will continue to ban the use of video by coaches and players during games. They will continue to use still photographs instead, either printed or viewed on their Microsoft Surface tablets. But many coaches adamantly opposed the addition of All-22 video to the tablets. Why?

They believe video would make it easier for ill-prepared or lesser-skilled teams and coaches to make in-game adjustments. While not defeated, the rule is unlikely to be put to a vote before the 2018 season, McKay said.

• Like (+1) 1

Get ready for the Digital Age ....   

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/3/29/17175602/arrowheadlines-chiefs-will-use-100-percent-mobile-ticketing-soon

The latest   -  Chiefs plan to go to 100 percent mobile ticketing soon | The Kansas City Star

Chiefs fans planning to attend games at Arrowhead Stadium in coming years need to get ready for a small bit of change, as team president Mark Donovan revealed at the NFL’s Annual Meeting this week that the Chiefs hope to go to 100 percent mobile ticketing in the near future.

Does this eliminate Scalpers?    

10 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

The NFL absolutely IS an employer, by the way. Many people are employed by the NFL, not individual teams. The NFL has some limited anti trust protections, it may be a minor factor but not much. The President may have reignited a dying issue with his comments, but that's not why this is a problem. Do you care much about Trumps opinion on protests? I'd bet many fans don't care either what he thinks about it. Jones is an owner that DOES care about his own opinion on it. Many other owners probably do as well. That's why it's being talked about and why it's likely to be an ugly mess. Not because of Trump. 

• Like (+1) 1