THE GREAT DEBATE: Was Mario Williams A Good Signing?

Was Mario Williams A Good Signing?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Was Mario Williams A Good Signing?

• YES! he was a good FA signing
    • NO! he was not a good FA signing

16 hours ago, kdiggz said:

Rex destroyed our defense. They were killing it with Schwartz. Hiring him was the mistake

Had they lwt Whaley hire Hue Jackson and kept Schwartz, Whaley would still be the GM, and he would have had another chance to get a QB. Rex destroyed the team. 

27 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I misread your thread.  I thought you were asking which guys took games over and had a bigger impact that Mario.  Those 2 players certainly did.  

Man, being the third best DE in the NFL is basically like being Shaq Lawson.

Dont get point of this discussion...but I will answer anyway.

Yes he was a good signing.  Fans have this misconception that its always about 1 player, but its not.  To weigh our successes or failures about a single player is pointless.  He was a great signing and a very talented player at a key position of need.  

Its not Mario's fault there wasn't a better team and coaching staff around him.  Our QB was pathetic his whole time here...he doesnt even play on that side of the ball.  He had little help on defense either until we got a real DC for one season and he and Hughes wreaked havoc and the defense was #4 in the NFL.  

Then Wrexing crew came to town and completely ruined the D immediately.  Again, not Mario's fault.

Great signing, terrible waste of talent by what was a mostly inept organization.  

49 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Had they lwt Whaley hire Hue Jackson and kept Schwartz, Whaley would still be the GM, and he would have had another chance to get a QB. Rex destroyed the team. 

doug-whaley.jpg

"Right on, Dadonkadonk!"

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dadonkadonk said:

This is all conjecture.  We don’t know for sure.  There are certainly many of these narratives thrown around by Doug Whaley supporters.  

If you want to play this fantasy game, we can throw out scenarios like this all day.   That’s like saying, “if we have Rex a third year, he’d find a way to turn things around.”

Good or bad isn't the right distinction.

I would have suggested "relevant" or "irrelevant."

Overall, he was an irrelevant signing though it appeased the fans for a while.

Luckily, that style of management is now gone at OBD.

5 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Good or bad isn't the right distinction.

I would have suggested "relevant" or "irrelevant."

Overall, he was an irrelevant signing though it appeased the fans for a while.

Luckily, that style of management is now gone at OBD.

Based on some the responses here, I’d say the signing still appeases fans