Superbowl Winning QB's

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

late 70s with the Mel Bount/Jack Tatum rule that took away contact after 5 yards and after the Stingley tragedy took away the freedom of the secondary to club the receiver in the face and back of the neck on every play. 

Losing the intimidation factor was monstrous.

Marino soon took advantage with small and fleet of foot WRs....

Little past my time so can’t comment on that part.

I do remember them really cracking down on those calls after the Colts Pats playoff game in 2003 where the pats corners were basically tackling Wayne and Harrison lol

15 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Single counting, it's still about 55/45.

I remember Ben being under pressure all day at Ann Arbor with the local yokels whooping it up for the easy win, thinking this kid is a perfect NFL QB prototype, one of 5 I saw during over 100 games there.

So that had to be one of his first games as a Frosh that I saw that in him. as he only appeared at The Big House once, and in his first year....

Edited by row_33

Ya know, the whole argument including Brees and Rodgers is kind of dumb. They were both the second QB taken. Regardless of where they were taken, they we're still a top 2 QB prospect and they fell for whatever reason. 

Teams value QB much higher now, that type of thing happens much less often. 

Another piece of info that can be extrapolated is the success rate of "gunslingers" vs "conservative" system QBs. It's overwhelming the latter with the wins, with Favre, Stabler and maybe Namath, Wilson and Rodgers the winning "gunslingers." An even more telling list would include the losing QBs, which includes a load of gunslingers like Kelly, Tarkenton, Marino, Newton, LaMonica, and several others. While most of us love the kind of guy who can pull plays out of the air and fire passes in the craziest situations, the history of SB winning QBs is that the more boring, conservative, system QBs win way more Lombardis than do gunslingers. It's good to keep that in mind when picking a franchise QB.

Knock Roger Staubach out of your equation. He was drafted one year before he finished at Navy as a "future" pick in 1964 (which the league allowed) because he had to server four years in the Navy after finishing. Everyone knew he was a great player at Navy -- indeed, he was the best player in the country! -- but they also knew that he couldn't play until 1969. He's an anomaly and should not be included.