Can we shelve the Comp pick discussion to March 19?

plenzmd1

8 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

riveting comp pick discussion is our lifeblood!

It is amazing how focused we can get, and believe a narrative when all evidence points to McBeane maybe being aware of the comp pick formula, but certainly not making decisions based upon it.

Yes, please.  I don’t are about picks at the end of the 4th(at best), 5th,6th,7th rounds in exchange for losing productive NFL players.  Those late picks are mostly in consequential.

None of the Bills’ current FA are going to fetch even a pick at the end of the 4th.  Better off signing FAs this season.

How about instead of calling them comp picks, we call them what they really are - draft picks. Then maybe people will realize how stupid they sound when they say things like "Draft picks don't matter."

That being said, the OP is likely correct about not getting any next year. We don't have many qualifying FAs leaving this year. Of course, setting up a system where we reap the benefits of addition picks every year takes time, it's not something that just materializes in a GM's first year. However, there have been moves made this offseason that indicate we will be a player at the table in the future.

1 minute ago, QCity said:

How about instead of calling them comp picks, we call them what they really are - draft picks. Then maybe people will realize how stupid they sound when they say things like "Draft picks don't matter."

That being said, the OP is likely correct about not getting any next year. We don't have many qualifying FAs leaving this year. Of course, setting up a system where we reap the benefits of addition picks every year takes time, it's not something that just materializes in a GM's first year. However, there have been moves made this offseason that indicate we will be a player at the table in the future.

Ihave been a draft fanatic for 3 decades, but IMHO, making decisions to not retain a good player solely on the basis of hoping to get a pick that at best will be around pick 100 is a poor strategy.  Of course, you have to balance the FA value/cost against the hope for a mid late round compensatory pick, but the decision should not be based on the low-end “draft capital” that could be received.

Update: It's 5 in and 3 out. Still need Gaines, Thompson, Mathews, Leon Johnson to sign elsewhere to have a pick. Assuming we sign Compton or another linebacker, that would make it 6 in and 7 out. Still need O-Line upgrades and a reciever. 

AFC East

• Buffalo Bills
    Qualifying UFAs Lost: 3 Qualifying UFAs Gained: 5
    Name Rd. APY Rank Name Rd. APY Rank
      Star Lotulelei 4 $10,000,000 90
      Trent Murphy 5 $7,500,000 185
    Seantrel Henderson 6 $4,000,000 398 AJ McCarron 6 $4,050,000 387
    Preston Brown 7 $3,000,000 489 Rafael Bush 7 $1,750,000 689
    Shareece Wright ? TBA TBA Julian Stanford 7 $1,500,000 734

56 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Bills just signed two OL - how does this affect comp picks?

This is the thread on comp picks right?  I do not want to start a new thread....

I hear you man. I didn’t think the Shareece Wright signing belonged here either, but after searching for awhile this was the first place I thought it was semi appropriate.