PFF Best graded offensive lines in the NFL

Our comprehensive PFF player grades take into account every aspect of a lineman’s game on every play from every game — their performance in both pass-blocking and run-blocking, and their discipline. Our PFF Player Grades showcase the true effectiveness of an offensive lineman as an individual, so we’ve taken that a step further to give you a look at how the units graded out, on average during the 2017 regular season.

7. Buffalo Bills

Total pressures surrendered: 124
Best player: Richie Incognito
Combinations used: 10

This was a unit that improved a lot over the second half of the season and eventually finished the regular season with the second-highest pass-blocking efficiency rating (83.0). This was largely due to the improvement in play from left guard Richie Incognito as he allowed just three total pressures – and no sacks or hits – in his last nine games after giving up 12 total pressures in his first eight. In addition, rookie left tackle Dion Dawkins replaced Cordy Glenn due to injuries, but he did not disappoint and was actually among the five best left tackles in the league over the second half of the season. Furthermore, this unit was once again among the best in the NFL when it came to helping ball carriers as Bills’ running backs averaged 1.92 yards before contact in 2017, the fourth-most in the league.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-offensive-lines-from-the-2017-nfl-season

Edited by TheTruthHurts
  • Like (+1) 1

If you think the Bills had one of the top ten best OLs in the NFL in 2017, you obviously watched Bills game with your beer goggles on.  PFF is clueless in its statistical evaluation of OLs.  They totally lacked consistency, they failed way too often to provide adequate holes for the RBs, and they were saved from giving up many more sacks by having a QB with ultimate escapability.  Furthermore, the only reason that this unit improved in the second half of the season was because it played so poorly in the first half.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

If you think the Bills had one of the top ten best OLs in the NFL in 2017, you obviously watched Bills game with your beer goggles on.  PFF is clueless in its statistical evaluation of OLs.  They totally lacked consistency, they failed way too often to provide adequate holes for the RBs, and they were saved from giving up many more sacks by having a QB with ultimate escapability.  Furthermore, the only reason that this unit improved in the second half of the season was because it played so poorly in the first half.

Wrong. Their poor 1st half has blurred your view.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

17 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Maybe you watched the Chargers game 16 times in a row? Second half of the season was solid.

This was their ranking after week 5.

22. Buffalo Bills

Average offensive lineman grade: 57.0

While Richie Incognito is among the top 10 guards in the NFL once again, the rest of Buffalo’s line has been unable to come near to playing at his level. The unit has played well in pass protection as they rank seventh in the league with a pass blocking efficiency rating of 82.2, having allowed just 38 pressures on 171 pass blocking snaps. However, the issues come with run-blocking, where basically everyone but Incognito has a poor grade so far. The Bills run more outside zone plays than anyone in the league, leading the NFL with 76 attempts, but they rank just 17th in yards before contact, averaging just 1.06 yards on these plays.

Just now, Green Lightning said:

Maybe you watched the Chargers game 16 times in a row? Second half of the season was solid.

They went after the rookie. Chargers game was bad. This game was part of the 2nd half, but only 1 game, really 1 half.

I still think we need to upgrade at C and RT. I would love Norwell at RG too. I'm thinking Price could fall to us in rd 2 cuz of the muscle tear. Dawkins, Incognito, Price, Norwell and another RT. That would be a top 2 or 3 OL most likely.

Just now, GreggTX said:

I still think we need to upgrade at C and RT. I would love Norwell at RG too. I'm thinking Price could fall to us in rd 2 cuz of the muscle tear. Dawkins, Incognito, Price, Norwell and another RT. That would be a top 2 or 3 OL most likely.

I would like a veteran OG, but John Miller IMO can play. He had a bad season though. Groy is a good player. RT and overall depth is the real need IMO.

As for who they may target , Sal may know.