Get off my lawn

\GoBillsInDallas/

31 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Moving out to the boondocks doesn't give people the right to annoy their neighbors, either, although a lot of that type think it does.

is that in their counterclaim, that they have a right to annoy their neighbours?

I don't know if it's their counterclaim, but lots of people who move out to the country or have camps in rural areas think just that ... it's their land so they believe that they can do whatever they want, especially in areas where there are few zoning laws or noise ordinances.  Asshats aren't found only in cities or suburbs.  Neighbors having large, loud parties with loud music blasting well into the early am; people riding dirt bikes and atvs close to neighbors' houses for hours on end;  and hunters "sighting in" shotguns and rifles early on Sunday mornings or target shooting for hours are among the most frequent complaints fielded by LEOs in rural areas.

21 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I don't know if it's their counterclaim, but lots of people who move out to the country or have camps in rural areas think just that ... it's their land so they believe that they can do whatever they want, especially in areas where there are few zoning laws or noise ordinances.  Asshats aren't found only in cities or suburbs.  Neighbors having large, loud parties with loud music blasting well into the early am; people riding dirt bikes and atvs close to neighbors' houses for hours on end;  and hunters "sighting in" shotguns and rifles early on Sunday mornings or target shooting for hours are among the most frequent complaints fielded by LEOs in rural areas.

a carmudgeonly couple i used to know saved and saved and bought a plot of land and put up a house and garden out in the boonies, boasting how they got away finally from everyone and would live out their retirement in this paradise they concocted

well... a lunatic a mile or so away had collected used tires for decades for recycling on occasion, and this all caught fire and raged for over 2 weeks, destroying the water table for a good long time all around it...

so you can't win...

49 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Most land in the "boonies" still have to follow county ordinances (which often include quiet hours).  If it's not in the county rules, there are no covenants on the land and no HoA's, it pretty much is their right to do so.  Also within the neighbors right to retaliate in kind.

2 hours ago, Acantha said:

Most land in the "boonies" still have to follow county ordinances (which often include quiet hours).  If it's not in the county rules, there are no covenants on the land and no HoA's, it pretty much is their right to do so.  Also within the neighbors right to retaliate in kind.

Well, some angry neighbors only get the "right to retaliate" part ... like the lady in the original story.

On 2/14/2018 at 11:21 AM, KD in CA said:

And thus the drawback of moving out to the boonies because land is affordable.  Lot of that type around.

Are you referring to the woman or her neighbors?     Sounds like both parties would be difficult to live next to...

25 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Are you referring to the woman or her neighbors?     Sounds like both parties would be difficult to live next to...

Exactly this.  This seems to me to be a case of both being in the wrong but only one doing something actually illegal (and very dangerous).   I will add that this is exactly why you don't bring a gun to a confrontation.   This was not a gang of menacing -looking toughs on the woman's front lawn that she tried to scare away with a shot over their heads (my late stepmother did exactly that once).   This was an angry woman losing her temper and firing at people who she could have killed.  Guns and arguments do not mix well.