Has anyone ever had cataract surgery?

Azalin

I just had both eyes done over the last week and a half. What a difference - I knew my vision had deteriorated, but wow....

There's a lot of odd effects that occur while the new lenses settle in and take over. Weird colors, odd reflections, etc. Has anyone else here gone through cataract surgery? I'd be interested to hear what others have experienced.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Augie said:

I hope it all continues to go well! 

This is the kind of thing I need to be aware of in coming years. Oddly, I found out at about the age of 50 that I am partially color blind. Who knew? 

Thank you! :beer:

I had it done 12-13 years ago. I did not get the film afterward (which I was recently told has something to do with the packaging adhering to the lens, and the puff of the laser that needs to happen opens a hole in that to break up that film). 

It is nice to have 20/20 vision again. (They put your prescription in the lens inserted in your eye for those wondering.) The distance and near prescription lenses were not offered to me back then (they were not common), so my lenses have a distance only script in them. Which did you receive?

I will say all these years later I still have not gotten used to reading glasses.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I had it done 12-13 years ago. I did not get the film afterward (which I was recently told has something to do with the packaging adhering to the lens, and the puff of the laser that needs to happen opens a hole in that to break up that film). 

It is nice to have 20/20 vision again. (They put your prescription in the lens inserted in your eye for those wondering.) The distance and near prescription lenses were not offered to me back then (they were not common), so my lenses have a distance only script in them. Which did you receive?

I will say all these years later I still have not gotten used to reading glasses.

Mine are only for distance as well, but they gave me the choice between distance and close-range. They didn't use a laser on me though - it was the good old-fashioned scalpel for me.

When they replaced the right lens, I saw brilliant patterns in red and orange during the procedure. When they replaced the left lens, I saw nothing but blurry blobs of white light. It was fascinating.

The doctor said that I had the most aggressive type of cataracts (apparently there are three types) - it looked like I was seeing the world through a piece of wax paper and driving was all but impossible for a few weeks.

1 minute ago, /dev/null said:

My Dad is about to have this procedure but they're doing one eye at a time, like 6 weeks between procedures.

Like I mentioned above, mine were just one week apart (January 30th and February 6th), but you father might have a different type than I did. I'm by no means an expert just because I went through it. He has absolutely nothing to be nervous about - the operation only takes around 7-8 minutes.

1 hour ago, Azalin said:

Mine are only for distance as well, but they gave me the choice between distance and close-range. They didn't use a laser on me though - it was the good old-fashioned scalpel for me.

When they replaced the right lens, I saw brilliant patterns in red and orange during the procedure. When they replaced the left lens, I saw nothing but blurry blobs of white light. It was fascinating.

The doctor said that I had the most aggressive type of cataracts (apparently there are three types) - it looked like I was seeing the world through a piece of wax paper and driving was all but impossible for a few weeks.

Like I mentioned above, mine were just one week apart (January 30th and February 6th), but you father might have a different type than I did. I'm by no means an expert just because I went through it. He has absolutely nothing to be nervous about - the operation only takes around 7-8 minutes.

It is a scalpel surgery for everyone.

The laser comes for most people a year later if they get the "film".

1 hour ago, /dev/null said:

My Dad is about to have this procedure but they're doing one eye at a time, like 6 weeks between procedures.

Mine were closer than that, but I was very young for the surgery.

My MIL (who was almost 80 at the time) had a major complication with her first eye and they waited a year to do the second one (which had no complications).

My 91 year-old  mom had one eye done a week before Thanksgiving and the other a week after.  Came through it with no problems whatsoever.  She used need  bifocals. Now she  only needs reading glasses.  Got the new pair yesterday.