2-6: Tony DeFeo of EdjSports Talks Use of Analytics with the Eagles

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

More information is always better but the question is how it's actually used by coaches on game day. 

after the fact they can claim it was the main reason if a team wins

Really interesting interview. In football, I get the use of "analytics" in terms of game day decisions and am a HUGE proponent.Yes, there are plenty of old-school football adages that will be at odds with what the data says, and folks will always look at the times that the decision does not work as a reason not to use data as a fundamental part of game day coaching. Really like his "always take the points" and "make em go a long field" as two adages that he has really understood are nonsense when it comes to win probabilities. Also really liked when he said something to the effect coaches and fans would rather lose slowly and late and keep it close, rather than improve win percentages with the possibility to lose early. I think that is 100% accurate. 

What I don't get is how to use this all this data in the evaluation of players. I never put any emphasis or stock in  PFF rankings, just seems to me unless you know exact play call, how  can you grade someone? Maybe someone on here who has been a coach or a player at high level can help explain that to me.

Edited by plenzmd1

Sean McDermott and the Bills have no use for math, they go based on "feel".  That's why we rarely attempt 4th and short, never go for 2 pt. conversions.  This group of bozos is as behind the curve as you can be.  I blame it on the Pegulas though, they're the ones that go out and hire these people that totally ignore data.  I think Terry is more impressed that Sean was a decorated wrestler and wears a cross around his neck.  That's all good and well....but go get me the guy that understands and embraces the math.

• Like (+1) 1