• Yes, once.
    • Yes, once in a while.
    • Yes, as often as possible.
    • No

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never have. In early 1956, my Dad who was in perfect health gave blood and was in the hospital by June with a serious case of Rheumatic fever, and died of very aggressive colon cancer in January 1957. Equipment was reused then, the syringes and needles, but though I certainly understand the need, I just can't do it.

Sorry... :devil:

Never have. In early 1956, my Dad who was in perfect health gave blood and was in the hospital by June with a serious case of Rheumatic fever, and died of very aggressive colon cancer in January 1957. Equipment was reused then, the syringes and needles, but though I certainly understand the need, I just can't do it.

Sorry... :devil:

269830[/snapback]

Not to be insincere here because my mom died of colon cancer too, but you realize that you can't get that from giving blood, right?

Not to be insincere here because my mom died of colon cancer too, but you realize that you can't get that from giving blood, right?

269849[/snapback]

Re-read. Rheumatic fever first, which has a viral connection. As well as cancer can have.

I'm a well-educated scientist, RJ...

I donate platelets about every 5-6 weeks. It takes about an hour and a half.

They pull the blood out of one arm and send it through a machine to centrifuge out the platelets while returning the blood to the other arm.

Leukemia patients can get 4 treatments out of each bag of donated platelets. I'm up to 74. Used to be able to watch a movie but now some of the machines are faster so you can't get even the shortest movies in.

I've been giving since I was eligible. I'm now almost 33 and I'm really close to closing out gallon #5. I think three pints -- although I'm giving thought to the apheristic (sp?) donation where they take double the normal volume of just the red blood cells and return the plasma, whites, and platletes. You get double value on your card for that, but can only do it every 112 days instead of 56.

I donate platelets about every 5-6 weeks.  It takes about an hour and a half.

They pull the blood out of one arm and send it through a machine to centrifuge out the platelets while returning the blood to the other arm.

Leukemia patients can get 4 treatments out of each bag of donated platelets.  I'm up to 74.  Used to be able to watch a movie but now some of the machines are faster so you can't get even the shortest movies in.

269858[/snapback]

Nice...I've been doing the platelet thing too. Props to you for having done it so many times. Much more of a time commitment, plus its a bit more uncomfortable. The place I go actually pulls and returns the blood through the same needle. Pretty cool set up.

Nice...I've been doing the platelet thing too.  Props to you for having done it so many times.  Much more of a time commitment, plus its a bit more uncomfortable.  The place I go actually pulls and returns the blood through the same needle.  Pretty cool set up.

269868[/snapback]

Same props to you. The place I go you get about a 50/50 chance of getting the

the single line machine. It's faster but I get a weird tickling sensation in the vein and my lips get numb.

Same props to you.  The place I go you get about a 50/50 chance of getting the

the single line machine.  It's faster but I get a weird tickling sensation in the vein and my lips get numb.

269878[/snapback]

Those feelings are from the anticoagulant. Fun fun...but its worth it.

I gave blood all the time when i was on active duty. Really not my choice as the 1st Sgt would say, "you ARE giving blood today". lol Unfortunately, i can't give blood anymore. I was exposed to lithium gases and the red cross won't take it because of that.

Never donated

But would have if I could

I was Dx with Hodgkins at age 9

so I can never give blood

But I thank everyone that does since

I have had many blood and platelet

transfusions while I was undergoing

chemotherphy at Roswell back in the

70s and last year when I was under

going treatment for recurrent ITP

Who should not donate blood?

Anyone who has ever used intravenous drugs (illegal IV drugs)

Men who have had sexual contact with other men since 1977

Anyone who has ever received clotting factor concentrates

Anyone with a positive test for HIV (AIDS virus)

Men and women who have engaged in sex for money or drugs since 1977

Anyone who has had hepatitis since his or her eleventh birthday

Anyone who has had babesiosis or Chagas disease

Anyone who has taken Tegison for psoriasis

Anyone who has risk factors for Crueutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) or who has an immediate family member with CJD

Anyone who has risk factors for vCJD

Anyone who spent three months or more in the United Kingdom from 1980 through 1996

Anyone who has spent five years in Europe from 1980 to the present.

My mom is in the UK group... Im not sure where I fall in, but they cant accept my blood.

269449[/snapback]

Guess that gets most married guys off the hook then.

Never donated

But would have if I could

I was Dx with Hodgkins at age 9

so I can never give blood

But I thank everyone that does since

I have had many blood and platelet

transfusions while I was undergoing

chemotherphy at Roswell back in the

70s and last year when I was under

going treatment for recurrent ITP

270213[/snapback]

You're welcome dude. Stay healthy.

Those feelings are from the anticoagulant.  Fun fun...but its worth it.

269925[/snapback]

I do

http://www.redcross.org/services/biomed/0,1082,0_19_,00.html

every 2-3 weeks

They should give you TUMS for the lip tingling and the arm vibration is normal

My Dad died from cancer and anything my platelets can do for someone else is far more imporatnt than my discomfort for an hour or two.

BTW - I am not fond of the Red Cross - for the way they handle money etc. but that is the only place that can allow you to help others