What is the "timing" on our QB decision?

Capco

What are the relevant dates to keep in mind when considering the Bills QB of 2018?  

When do certain decisions need to be made?

When are certain decisions "expected" to be made?

How long until the speculation ends and answers start coming in?

Edited by Capco

2 hours ago, Capco said:

What are the relevant dates to keep in mind when considering the Bills QB of 2018?  

I'll try to help with the first question, "relevant dates"

1) Feb. 15 AJ McCarron grievance hearing with the NFL

Expected outcome: whether or not McCarron is a 2018 free agent

2) Feb 20 - March 6 4 pm Franchise tag window

Expected outcome: know whether Kirk Cousins is transition tagged or franchise tagged for the 3rd year (and other pending FA QB eg Keenum, Bradford, Bridgewater)

Transition tag: $28.7M, gives the Redskins the option to match any contract he's offered

Franchise tag: $34.5M, Redskins only team that can negotiate with him, last year he can be franchised. 

3) March 12 - teams can start talking to other team's pending FA.  trades often arranged in this time

4) March 14 - start of the New League Year. 

Expected outcome: 2017 contracts expire at 4 pm. Options and RFA tenders must be extended

Expected outcome: all teams must be under the cap eg KC needs to do something with Smith or other players.  Trades can be made after 4 pm.
5) March 16th - roster bonuses typically due

Expected outcome: Tyrod Taylor will be traded or cut before that date to avoid paying him $6M if they don't want to keep him

6) April 26-28 NFL Draft

7) July 17 - deadline to sign contract with franchised or transition tagged players. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Expected outcome: know whether Kirk Cousins is transition tagged or franchise tagged for the 3rd year (and other pending FA QB eg Keenum, Bradford, Bridgewater)

Transition tag: $28.7M, gives the Redskins the option to match any contract he's offered

Franchise tag: $34.5M, Redskins only team that can negotiate with him, last year he can be franchised. 

3) March 12 - teams can start talking to other team's pending FA.  trades often arranged in this time

Expected outcome: 2017 contracts expire at 4 pm. Options and RFA tenders must be extended

Expected outcome: all teams must be under the cap eg KC needs to do something with Smith or other players.  Trades can be made after 4 pm.

Expected outcome: Tyrod Taylor will be traded or cut before that date to avoid paying him $6M if they don't want to keep him

6) April 26-28 NFL Draft

7) July 17 - deadline to sign contract with franchised or transition tagged players. 

two things i see here. 1. cousins gets the transition tag, because the redskins get two 1st rounders if they can't match?

2. the bills give tt the 6 mil . bonus in a preconceived trade deal to lesson the burden on the new team....or hedge their bets with a trade partner at draft time.

13 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

two things i see here. 1. cousins gets the transition tag, because the redskins get two 1st rounders if they can't match?

2. the bills give tt the 6 mil . bonus in a preconceived trade deal to lesson the burden on the new team....or hedge their bets with a trade partner at draft time.

The transition tag does not give the redskins compensation if they can't match.  There is a 3rd option - "non exclusive franchise tag" that would be $34.5M (I think) and would give the Redskins 2 1st round picks if another team offers the guy a contract they can't or choose not to match - but it's not much used.

The Bills will already be taking on $7.6M dead cap if they trade Tyrod.  I don't see them adding $6M extra dead cap to be nice, unless they get something really nice for him.  Like, really really nice.

3 hours ago, Capco said:

Relevant dates have now been covered but I honestly believe our GM & HC are operating from the standpoint of minimal expense in terms of payout and draft compensation.  It's been mentioned that the portion that any team is responsible for concerning Alex Smith in 2018 is around 17M.  That is going to have a definite appeal to us versus 29-30M for even a "process" QB (Cousins) .  We can guess for the next several weeks what the Chiefs will do but if I were GM and Smith were the target I would be prepared to offer a third and a mid-rounder for 2019 but see what Reid's asking price is first to know if it is reasonable to expect to make a deal.  

1 hour ago, billsredneck1 said:

55 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The transition tag does not give the redskins compensation if they can't match.  There is a 3rd option - "non exclusive franchise tag" that would be $34.5M (I think) and would give the Redskins 2 1st round picks if another team offers the guy a contract they can't or choose not to match - but it's not much used.

The Bills will already be taking on $7.6M dead cap if they trade Tyrod.  I don't see them adding $6M extra dead cap to be nice, unless they get something really nice for him.  Like, really really nice.

Here is a good breakdown of Washington's options concerning Cousins.

Note that there is no Non-Exclusive Tag option for the 3rd tag year.

The pros and cons of each of the Redskins' options with Kirk Cousins

Facebook

Twitter
Email

Can the Redskins tag and trade Cousins?

The Redskins are pondering the three options they have to start up the process that will either lead to Cousins playing in Washington in 2018 or saying goodbye to their starter for the last three years. These options carry pros and cons that Schaffer, Allen, and Dan Snyder will weigh over the next 46 days until March 6, the deadline for teams to designate transition and franchise tags.

Here are the three most likely options for the Redskins and the pros and cons of each approach:

No tag, let him hit free agency—This would allow Cousins to become a free agent at 4 p.m. on March 14, when the new league years starts. The Redskins could make him an offer and they could ask the Cousins camp to give them an opportunity to match any offer they might be considering. But Cousins would be under no obligation to do so.
Pros: It would end the uncertainty once and for all. When the process is over, Cousins will either be a Redskin in the long term or be playing for another team. This also is the only way the Redskins can qualify for a compensatory draft pick if Cousins does sign elsewhere.
Cons: The most likely outcome is that the Redskins would be starting over at quarterback in 2018, something they are not ready to do. A large segment of the fan base would be angry if the Redskins just let Cousins walk out the door.

MORE REDSKINS: QUARTERBACKS WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS

Transition tag: This tag carries a salary of $28.8 million and it allows Cousins to talk to other teams. If he gets an offer sheet from one of them, the Redskins would have five days to match it. If they don’t match, Cousins goes to the other team for no compensation. Another possible outcome could be Cousins signing the tag and staying in Washington for the fully guaranteed $28.8 million salary.
Pros: There also would be a good chance of ending the uncertainty, with Cousins either ending up gone at the end of the process or under a long-term contract in Washington. It also would give Cousins what he wants, the ability to test the open market, while giving the Redskins a shot at keeping him at the same time.
Cons: A team with adequate cap space could front load an offer and make it very difficult for the Redskins to match. There would be no compensation if Cousins left because the Redskins declined to match an offer sheet. And there is the possibility that the QB uncertainty could linger for another year if Cousins signs the tag.

Stay up to date on the Redskins. Rich Tandler covers the team 365 days a year. Like his Facebook page Facebook.com/TandlerNBCS and follow him on Twitter @TandlerNBCS.

Franchise tag: This tag carries a salary of about $34.5 million. Cousins could not negotiate with other teams as there is no non-exclusive option on a third career franchise tag. At his radio event the week after the season ended, Cousins said that he would just sign the tag and play for the Redskins. They could trade Cousins after he signs the tag, although the salary would make that difficult to do.
Pros: It would virtually assure that the Redskins would have Cousins for 2018. They would have until July 15 to try to negotiate a long-term deal with him.
Cons: You can’t make the case that Cousins, or any player not named Brady or Rodgers, could justify a $34.5 million salary for one year. And since a fourth franchise tag is not permitted, it would almost certainly set up a scenario where Cousins plays one more year and then he is done in DC. That’s not how to get the certainty at the position that Jay Gruden desires.

There is a fourth option, which would be to sign Cousins before the deadline. But earlier this month Cousins said that he would not be interested in doing that; his preference is to wait until March. Perhaps things can change but Cousins was quite definitive in what he said.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

i guess this was what i was thinking of. i don't see them franchising him , but then again, finding a way for getting compensation should some team load a contract that they can't afford. why wouldn't they do this? the same has been said about jimmy g. in other articles.

2 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i guess this was what i was thinking of. i don't see them franchising him , but then again, finding a way for getting compensation should some team load a contract that they can't afford. why wouldn't they do this? the same has been said about jimmy g. in other articles.

Read my post above yours.

This would be the 3rd tag year, a team cannot use a non-exclusive tag.

1 minute ago, billsredneck1 said:

8 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Read my post above yours.

This would be the 3rd tag year, a team cannot use a non-exclusive tag.

I sit corrected, thanks for the gouge!

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I sit corrected, thanks for the gouge!

No gouge HPF at all.

My second post was to billsredneck.

I don't think the Redskins use the tag this year.

They have no good options and Cousins doesn't want to play for them.

18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

6) April 26-28 NFL Draft

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Hapless!