Goodell Is "Concerned" with the NFL's Catch Rule and Wants Clarity - Catch Rule Simplified

27 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Look for a lot more fumbles and sketchy completions with that change. 

One of the the biggest issues is that regardless of if the refs get the frame by frame- we do. As fans we have to manage our own expectations a bit. Being angry to be angry is no way to spend our Sundays

I can deal with more fumbles. And I don’t think the state of completions could possibly get sketchier than it is currently.

EDIT: Changed ‘currently is’ to ‘is currently’...obviously.

Edited by GoBills808

I think with a lot of the strange incompletions under the current rule, the problem is that the receiver has become a ball carrier and makes "football moves", but they are still considered in the process of the catch because they were "going to the ground". Control of the ball after it is caught for a certain amount of time should allow the receiver to become a ball carrier without going all the way to the ground. 

18 hours ago, Fetou said:

I think with a lot of the strange incompletions under the current rule, the problem is that the receiver has become a ball carrier and makes "football moves", but they are still considered in the process of the catch because they were "going to the ground". Control of the ball after it is caught for a certain amount of time should allow the receiver to become a ball carrier without going all the way to the ground. 

....as well as one foot in.......college style..............

Did Roger Goodell Tweak Instant Replay Before Playoffs? Mike Pereira Believes So

The officiating during the 2017 NFL season was questionable, to say the least, and while there was at least one missed call during Super Bowl LII, the instant replay reviews delivered correct results.

With instant replay being a fiasco for the majority of the season, many people expected the officials to botch one of, if not both reviews during the Philadelphia Eagles’ win over the New England Patriots. However, the zebras appeared to get both calls correct, going against a season’s worth of evidence that the officials would get too technical and overrule the call on the field.

So what was behind the NFL’s efficient officiating in Minneapolis? FOX analyst Mike Pereira said on The Talk of Fame podcast that he believes commissioner Roger Goodell instructed the senior vice president of officiating Alberto Riveron to make a change in how replay is handled.

I think the TD catch by Corey Clement would have been overturned based on how Riveron was handling replay during the regular season. 

10 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Did Roger Goodell Tweak Instant Replay Before Playoffs? Mike Pereira Believes So

I think the TD catch by Corey Clement would have been overturned based on how Riveron was handling replay during the regular season. 

I do too.  I mentioned it in the other thread about the Superbowl video.  The ref talked about how the ball was at it forearm then moved to his hand.  He said "was there movement, for sure, but he never lost control of the ball".

Every other time this season movement meant they didn't have full possession.

6 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I do too.  I mentioned it in the other thread about the Superbowl video.  The ref talked about how the ball was at it forearm then moved to his hand.  He said "was there movement, for sure, but he never lost control of the ball".

That's why I posted this on page 2 

On 2/6/2018 at 1:46 PM, ShadyBillsFan said:

Thanks Roger!!!    

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

7 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Kelvin Benjamin's catch that wasn't a catch at New England is exhibit A.

and then you have a textbook situation and the announcers and the "special rules official" all agree, and they called whatever they wanted to in the first place against it.

they can't perfect this and even if they biff it twice a year that's enough to ruin your enjoyment when your team gets screwed over

• 2 weeks later...

Seems pretty simple to me. 

If the receiver has possession before going out of bounds, or makes an intentional football move in the play of field he has a catch. 

If the receiver has possession at all in the end zone the play ends and the touchdown is awarded. This biggest screw up of all of this was saying that it mattered what happened out of bounds, or what happened in the endzone after initial possession. The play is over at that point.