Bills analytics department fired/restructured

ricojes

On 1/25/2018 at 5:00 PM, dneveu said:

It's also great in baseball because there are sooooooo many leagues, soooooo many players.  You can't watch them all.  You can look at numbers, and pull out a top 50 prospect list of guys you like, and then from there watch tape.  Still always comes down to tape. 

Football there are things you can analyze - whether you should go for 2 in x situation, win probabilities etc.  But you can't really use it for accurate player evaluation.  So many positions literally have no stats at the end of a game.  I assume coaches see on film when a run goes for no yards, who is at fault.  I don't need a computer to tell me that.

I’ve never thought of analytics as a tool for player evaluation in football, but rather for game day situational decision making, like when to punt or when to go for two.

• Like (+1) 1

Analytics can come into play when making draft decisions as well.

Here's an interesting PFT article on PFT on how both Philly and NE are big on analytics...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/01/eagles-patriots-both-relied-on-analytics-to-help-them-reach-the-super-bowl/

"So while it’s easy to scoff at analytics as the approach that got the Browns to 0-16, an honest assessment of analytics would acknowledge that some teams use them successfully. Including both teams in the Super Bowl."

Just now, hondo in seattle said:

Analytics can come into play when making draft decisions as well.

Here's an interesting PFT article on PFT on how both Philly and NE are big on analytics...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/01/eagles-patriots-both-relied-on-analytics-to-help-them-reach-the-super-bowl/

"So while it’s easy to scoff at analytics as the approach that got the Browns to 0-16, an honest assessment of analytics would acknowledge that some teams use them successfully. Including both teams in the Super Bowl."

I saw this earlier too, obviously the difference between teams like the Pats and Eagles analytics operations is they have the right people in place and know what they are doing.

• Like (+1) 1