(ot)Skiing Help

Okay boys, I am a 42 year old guy who is way outta shape. I am at a resort, wintergreen, skiing with my wife and kids. Went today for the first time in 10 yrs, and my legs, esp my thighs right above the knees especially are about to fall off. Any suggestions. I'm thinking a good six pack in the hot tub should help. My wife tends to think that alcohol is not the elixir that I profess it to be.

Antbody else got a better solution. I am here for the next three days, and I cannot see how i'm gonna make it!

Okay boys, I am a 42 year old guy who is way outta shape. I am at a resort, wintergreen, skiing with my wife and kids. Went today for the first time in 10 yrs, and my legs, esp  my thighs right above the knees especially are about to fall off. Any suggestions. I'm thinking a good six pack in the hot tub should help. My wife tends to think that alcohol is not the elixir that I profess it to be.

Antbody else got a better solution. I am here for the next three days, and I cannot see how i'm gonna make it!

268688[/snapback]

Bunny slopes are brutal, eh? :D

JK, hot tub will help. Take tomorrow off from the slopes though. and instead of a 6 pack, go for the 12 pack :w00t:

Okay boys, I am a 42 year old guy who is way outta shape. I am at a resort, wintergreen, skiing with my wife and kids. Went today for the first time in 10 yrs, and my legs, esp  my thighs right above the knees especially are about to fall off. Any suggestions. I'm thinking a good six pack in the hot tub should help. My wife tends to think that alcohol is not the elixir that I profess it to be.

268688[/snapback]

After you finish off the six (12?) pack in the hot tub, get the Swedish Bikini team to perform a full-body massage. You can't just concentrate on the thighs, right?

Seriously, heat is good. The alcohol isn't a big deal except you don't want to feel *totally* like crap tomorrow, do you? You should be fine tomorrow if you do some stretching before heading out again.

268688[/snapback]

More of the same -- keep working it and eventually you'll work right through the pain -- just keep on skiing!

Your on vacation and need to use an injury as an excuse to drink a 6er?

Seriously, though, by the third time down tomorrow, you should feel ok... the first time down will be a B word (actually, if you're already sore now, rolling out of bed tomorrow morning might be fairly rough).

OK - I've been there and done that... so you need to stretch your legs...

If you get out and force yourself to walk on them outside for a half hour each night (and be sure to do some more streching before bed, and in the morning)

you should be ok. It may be tough...but after you have a few it will be easier.

And do make sure you get as much water as beer....better to be like a racehorse than a prune!

:D

More of the same -- keep working it and eventually you'll work right through the pain -- just keep on skiing!

268709[/snapback]

How is your skiing? With the new skiis it should have been a bit easier. The pain you are feeling is from skiing out of balance.

Tommorrow, when you get your boots on, look at the soles, there is a mark about mid arch. Next look at the skiis, and where the binding is set up, again a small mark, Those are the sweet spots of your skiis. When you ski, try to keep your balance on these sweet spots.

An exercise that may help goes like this:

After getting your gear on, to stand on the flat area of the slope, and with skiis on, jump up in the air, (small jump), do this several times, after the 2nd or 3rd time, get ready to do it, but don't leave the ground. This is the most athletic stance you can be in, and the best body position for skiing. Notice the sensation of your arch against the bottom of your boot? If properly mounted, your weight is on the sweet spot of the boot, and ultimately on the sweet spot of the ski.

When you get back on the hill, ski slowly, and look for that same feeling of compressing the arch to the bottom of the boot. You will notice it will conmbine bending at the hip, knee and ankle to create that sensation. Just as in the little jumps you did, you need flexation at those 3 points (hip,ankle, knee).

Try it out

Bunny slopes are brutal, eh? :D

268694[/snapback]

You are not far off. The easy slopes are killer, people wiping out all over the place. Gonna try the heat thing, and will try to limit to a six pack. BTW, the internet age just blows. Cant believe I am checking email on vacation. And posting to a board, but the wife think I'm doing mail and im getting some peace while she is with the kids

How is your skiing? With the new skiis it should have been a bit easier. The pain you are feeling is from skiing out of balance.

Tommorrow, when you get your boots on, look at the soles, there is a mark about mid arch. Next look at the skiis, and where the binding is set up, again a small mark, Those are the sweet spots of your skiis. When you ski, try to keep your balance on these sweet spots.

An exercise to do this is to stand on the flat area, and with skiis on, jump up in the air, (small jump), do this several times, after the 2nd or 3rd time, get ready to do it, but don't leave the ground. This is the most athletic stance you can be in, and the best body position for skiing. Notice the sensation of your arch against the bottom of your boot? If properly mounted, your weight is on the weet spot of the boot, and ultimately on the sweet spot of the ski.

When you get back on the hill, ski slowly, and look for that same feeling of compressing the arch to the bottom of the boot. You will notice it will conmbine bending at the hip, knee and ankle to create that sensation. Just as in the little jumps you did, you need flexation at those 3 points (hip,ankle, knee).

Try it out

268725[/snapback]

Thx for the suggestion, I will try it. I sure do notice a differance with these paraboloic skis, but when you got the belly i do, somehow I think it is more than me just be outtta balance.

Thx for the suggestion, I will try it. I sure do notice a differance with these paraboloic skis, but when you got the belly i do, somehow I think it is more than me just be outtta balance.

268733[/snapback]

The strain you are getting is from "sitting in the back seat" or staying to far back on the skiis. These skiis are very good at allowing people who skiid years ago to pick up where they left off. Get on a good balance and you will be amazed at the difference. The skiis will do all the work.

You are not far off. The easy slopes are killer, people wiping out all over the place. Gonna try the heat thing, and will try to limit to a six pack. BTW, the internet age just blows. Cant believe I am checking email on vacation. And posting to a board, but the wife think I'm doing mail and im getting some peace while she is with the kids

268726[/snapback]

You have some good advice here, good luck :D . BTW, it looks like a nice resort:

http://www.wintergreenresort.com/

It's probably not you skiing out of balance. If you're out of shape and you put some effort into skiing, you will be really sore. I know, I'm an expert skier and used to go 20-30 times a year and have dwindled down to 2 or 3 times per year due to $, and I am sore after every time I go. Stretching will help alot though, and like the others have said you can ski through it after a day or two.

Thx to all for the suggestions. And yea, this is nice, but I'll tell ya, nothing like I remember Holiday Vally or even KB in the 7o's. Nice thing is we decided to come last minute, got a great ski in/ skiout 3 bedroom house for $125 a night, when it normally goes for $275. Sometimes it pays to be late!

Thx to all for the suggestions. And yea, this is nice, but I'll tell ya, nothing like I remember Holiday Vally or even KB in the 7o's. Nice thing is we decided to come last minute, got a great ski in/ skiout 3 bedroom house for $125 a night, when it normally goes for $275. Sometimes it pays to be late!

268745[/snapback]

That's a super sweet deal you got there. I spent a good portion of my life growing up at the base of Windham Mountain in the Catskills. My brother built a lot of the A-frames on that hill with ski in/ski out options and damn they were expensive as hell.