Thoughts on the game and the offseason

billspro

Well Bills fans, the playoff experience was short lived and I want more. 

Thoughts on the game today:

1) Bills fans are the best fans. I am so proud of how the Billsmafia showed up in bunches at todays game. 

2) The team definitely put it all on the line today against an amazing defence. It did not feel like we were outplayed. We missed a few plays and it cost us a playoff win. 

3) Shady McCoy is amazing. It was fun to watch him carry a team on his back against an elite defence. He is a special player and person, I hope we can build a legit offence around him next year. 

4) Losing Hyde hurt us, I couldn't help but think he would have brought in that dropped int by Anderson. 

5) The OPI on the 1 and a bad punt were the difference in the game. We should have put up more points with the time of possession advantage we had. 

6) Our defence completely shut them down. McDermott and Frazier do a great job maximizing our talent on Defence. Unfortunately, Dennison does not do a good job and needs to be replaced. 

7) Marrone and Hackett are still horribly predictable on offence. I am glad they are no longer coaching the Bills. Most coaches would have won at least 12 games with that defence. The Jags defence probably has more talent than the great Denver or Seattle defences that won superbowls. I don't think this Jags team will win a Super Bowl this year, even though I doubt New England or Pittsburgh will get over 17 points on them. 

8) I am very happy we traded Dareus. He is a solid DT but is not a game changer. We will be able to find an equally productive player for half of the cost. The worst thing teams do is give 100 million dollar contracts to players that are not QBs. Very few defensive players are worth high percentages of a salary cap. JJ Watt and Von Miller (who are both phenomenal players) have not lived up to their contracts. 

State of the Bills going into the offseason:

1) This team appears to finally be building. I think we have a coach and a defensive coordinator we can build around. Priority 1 this offseason should be finding an OC that can develop a young QB and create a unique, flexible, attacking, and balanced offence. 

2) Thank you Tyrod Taylor for breaking the playoff drought. There is no doubt Tyrod is the best Qb we have had since 2004 and I am happy he was a Bill. Saying that, he is better suited to be a bridge QB or a backup QB. No one will question Tyrod's work ethic, understanding of an offence, or passion but he just does not have the ability to throw with anticipation. You might be able to create a great team if Taylor had an elite defence on his side, but I don't think he has the ability to win a Super Bowl. Plus, I think it is a better strategy to build a balanced team rather than trying to create an elite defence. Priory number 2 has to be acquiring a QB. There are 5 guys we should be looking at and we have to figure out which one is going to be our franchise guy. The Bills Qb better be Cousins, Smith, Bridgewater, Mayfield, or Allen next year (Darnold and Rosen will be gone). 

3) Our pass rush is pathetic. Hopefully Shaq Lawson develops into an 8 sack per year guy. Jerry Hughes time should be done in Buffalo, he has not produced in 3 years now. We need to add a free agent pass rusher and probably one in the draft as well. We are severely lacking talent at the DT position as well, hopefully we can find some help at that position too. 

4) Adding a great LB would put this defence into a top 10 level. 

5) We should move Glenn to RT next year. Our oline should be fine for next season with the same guys and Mills as a swing tackle. We don't need anymore holes to fill. Preston Brown might do a better job at strong side linebacker, then we could add a great coverage MLB.

6) McCoy should still be a great back next year, but we need someone to compliment him and groom for the future. 

7) If we only resign one guy I hope it is EJ Gaines. 

Positions of need in the offseason

Desparate- Qb1, DE1

Must improve- MLB1, DT1

Would be nice to improve- CB3, WR2, RB2, S3, RG1

Lets Go Buffalo!!

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Rockee96 said:

Great post. Very sound and balanced analysis. If our GM did what you suggested, we'd be in great shape.

But, me being jaded after all these years, they might try to outsmart themselves and not use common sense.

They have set themselves up for a big offseason with cap space and draft picks. I expect them to build a roster with playoff level talent and find a QB this offseason. 

1 hour ago, billspro said:

They have set themselves up for a big offseason with cap space and draft picks. I expect them to build a roster with playoff level talent and find a QB this offseason. 

Agree 110% yet again today......the Bills HAVE set themselves up to have some good chances in the draft - but lets face it the draft is hit and miss. What is really going to set the tone is how well they attack the free agency market.  They need more Hyde's and Poyer's but in different positions......Bill's Mafia repped us well in the National Media - should pave the way for possible free agents.....

Go Bills

2 hours ago, billspro said:

1) Bills fans are the best fans. I am so proud of how the Billsmafia showed up in bunches at todays game. :thumbsup:

2) The team definitely put it all on the line today against an amazing strong defence. It did not feel like we were outplayed. We missed a few plays and it cost us a playoff win. - don't get me wrong, this is a good defense. But it hasn't had many real tests all year, and even the Bills soporific offense exposed weaknesses today that will be an issue in the Divisional round for them. Had we showed up on Offense, made better decisions, maybe this would've gone differently. But I agree, no team deserves to win who cannot score a TD.

3) Shady McCoy is amazing. It was fun to watch him carry a team on his back against an elite defence. He is a special player and person, I hope we can build a legit offence around him next year. - let's get him a solid RB2 while we're at it in the late 2nd/3rd rd pending our first several picks

4) Losing Hyde hurt us, I couldn't help but think he would have brought in that dropped int by Anderson. :(

5) The OPI on the 1 and a bad punt were the difference in the game. We should have put up more points with the time of possession advantage we had. - agreed, we all would've loved to see them run on that first play. Though I have to concede that KB one on one on the outside is prime fade territory, can't hate all of it. It's why we have him.

6) Our defence completely shut them down. McDermott and Frazier do a great job maximizing our talent on Defence. Unfortunately, Dennison does not do a good job and needs to be replaced. - could you imagine what we could do with a defense of draft picks and home grown, young players? Rico needs to be shown the door as well.

7) Marrone and Hackett are still horribly predictable on offence. I am glad they are no longer coaching the Bills. Most coaches would have won at least 12 games with that defence. The Jags defence probably has more talent than the great Denver or Seattle defences that won superbowls. I don't think this Jags team will win a Super Bowl this year, even though I doubt New England or Pittsburgh will get over 17 points on them. Their defense is going to keep them in it, Bortles will keep them out.

8) I am very happy we traded Dareus. He is a solid DT but is not a game changer. We will be able to find an equally productive player for half of the cost. The worst thing teams do is give 100 million dollar contracts to players that are not QBs. Very few defensive players are worth high percentages of a salary cap. JJ Watt and Von Miller (who are both phenomenal players) have not lived up to their contracts. Glad we saved the money this next season, though DT is a high priority going into next season. Another dominant DT eating up double teams will free up Jerry Hughes, who, IMHO, had a silently stellar year setting the edge and run stopping for a DE.  

1) This team appears to finally be building. I think we have a coach and a defensive coordinator we can build around. Priority 1 this offseason should be finding an OC that can develop a young QB and create a unique, flexible, attacking, and balanced offence. Wholly agree but who would we get? Mike McCoy? I'm hoping a head coach with solid OC history and tenure becomes available. Someone who could work a young QB. Hell, call me crazy, I wouldn't hate Tony Romo in that role of at least QB coach, guy's keenly perceptive of every team and the concepts of the QB position.

2) Thank you Tyrod Taylor for breaking the playoff drought. There is no doubt Tyrod is the best Qb we have had since 2004 and I am happy he was a Bill. Saying that, he is better suited to be a bridge QB or a backup QB. No one will question Tyrod's work ethic, understanding of an offence, or passion but he just does not have the ability to throw with anticipation. You might be able to create a great team if Taylor had an elite defence on his side, but I don't think he has the ability to win a Super Bowl. Plus, I think it is a better strategy to build a balanced team rather than trying to create an elite defence. Priory number 2 has to be acquiring a QB. There are 5 guys we should be looking at and we have to figure out which one is going to be our franchise guy. The Bills Qb better be Cousins, Smith, Bridgewater, Mayfield, or Allen next year (Darnold and Rosen will be gone). :thumbsup: GIVE. ME. MAYFIELD. Idk why, I like watching this kid play. The throws reminded me of what I was missing while watching the Saints v. Panthers with crisp, clean window throws. I doubt he's available at 21 & 22. I really would hate to see Darnold, very overrated and regressed terribly. Honestly not worth the risk on a team very nearly ready to compete consistently.

3) Our pass rush is pathetic. Hopefully Shaq Lawson develops into an 8 sack per year guy. Jerry Hughes time should be done in Buffalo, he has not produced in 3 years now. We need to add a free agent pass rusher and probably one in the draft as well. We are severely lacking talent at the DT position as well, hopefully we can find some help at that position too. I think if you see us address the DT position effectively you won't need to switch up Lawson/Hughes. I'm skeptical as well, but Kyle's getting older and Adolphus and Cedric aren't starters worth mentioning. We need a guy eating up double teams and pushing the LOS. Once we see that back you'll see the rest of the line thrive.

4) Adding a great LB would put this defence into a top 10 level. I'm selfish but my draft would be made if we could some how pull Baker Mayfield AND Malik Jefferson with our first two picks. Preston out, Jefferson and Milano would be a solid foundation for the future.

5) We should move Glenn to RT next year. Our oline should be fine for next season with the same guys and Mills as a swing tackle. We don't need anymore holes to fill. Preston Brown might do a better job at strong side linebacker, then we could add a great coverage MLB. - still wanna draft an OL, likely more in the 2nd depending on how the first round goes. We need guard/tackle help, badly. That and Castillo being shown the door along with Rico.

6) McCoy should still be a great back next year, but we need someone to compliment him and groom for the future. RB2 late 2nd/3rd round - you'll see someone develop but RB success has been more easily found as of late. Lots of solid backs coming out of college.

7) If we only resign one guy I hope it is EJ Gaines. Keep our secondary together and see if we can add more depth/5th man. agreed.

Desparate- Qb1, DE1 QB/DL especially DT, OL, LB, RB

Must improve- MLB1, DT1

Lets Go Buffalo!! 

Great breakdown and post - added comments fwiw. For the first time I'm looking at this off-season with a different optimism. Thanks for sharing!

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billspro said:

3) Our pass rush is pathetic. Hopefully Shaq Lawson develops into an 8 sack per year guy. Jerry Hughes time should be done in Buffalo, he has not produced in 3 years now. We need to add a free agent pass rusher and probably one in the draft as well. We are severely lacking talent at the DT position as well, hopefully we can find some help at that position too. 

Hughes was our best defender under Rex. He can produce.. Just not this year

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

Besides the obvious need for a QB, and a revamping of the DL, the one place I differ from almost everyone here is my belief that the OL needs a huge influx of new talent that can pass block. I also believe their run blocking is overrated because McCoy has been so elusive.

I only think they need one more fleet LB. A better DL would help the LBs.

Also would love a real WR threat and wish they still had Woods. Taylor had good receivers. He couldn't get them the ball.

Ecstatic they made the playoffs and I believe McDermott will be the best coach since Levy and that management finally has a coherent plan.

Good times coming.

12 hours ago, billspro said:

1) Bills fans are the best fans. I am so proud of how the Billsmafia showed up in bunches at todays game. 

2) The team definitely put it all on the line today against an amazing defence. It did not feel like we were outplayed. We missed a few plays and it cost us a playoff win. 

3) Shady McCoy is amazing. It was fun to watch him carry a team on his back against an elite defence. He is a special player and person, I hope we can build a legit offence around him next year. 

4) Losing Hyde hurt us, I couldn't help but think he would have brought in that dropped int by Anderson. 

5) The OPI on the 1 and a bad punt were the difference in the game. We should have put up more points with the time of possession advantage we had. 

6) Our defence completely shut them down. McDermott and Frazier do a great job maximizing our talent on Defence. Unfortunately, Dennison does not do a good job and needs to be replaced. 

7) Marrone and Hackett are still horribly predictable on offence. I am glad they are no longer coaching the Bills. Most coaches would have won at least 12 games with that defence. The Jags defence probably has more talent than the great Denver or Seattle defences that won superbowls. I don't think this Jags team will win a Super Bowl this year, even though I doubt New England or Pittsburgh will get over 17 points on them. 

8) I am very happy we traded Dareus. He is a solid DT but is not a game changer. We will be able to find an equally productive player for half of the cost. The worst thing teams do is give 100 million dollar contracts to players that are not QBs. Very few defensive players are worth high percentages of a salary cap. JJ Watt and Von Miller (who are both phenomenal players) have not lived up to their contracts. 

1) This team appears to finally be building. I think we have a coach and a defensive coordinator we can build around. Priority 1 this offseason should be finding an OC that can develop a young QB and create a unique, flexible, attacking, and balanced offence. 

2) Thank you Tyrod Taylor for breaking the playoff drought. There is no doubt Tyrod is the best Qb we have had since 2004 and I am happy he was a Bill. Saying that, he is better suited to be a bridge QB or a backup QB. No one will question Tyrod's work ethic, understanding of an offence, or passion but he just does not have the ability to throw with anticipation. You might be able to create a great team if Taylor had an elite defence on his side, but I don't think he has the ability to win a Super Bowl. Plus, I think it is a better strategy to build a balanced team rather than trying to create an elite defence. Priory number 2 has to be acquiring a QB. There are 5 guys we should be looking at and we have to figure out which one is going to be our franchise guy. The Bills Qb better be Cousins, Smith, Bridgewater, Mayfield, or Allen next year (Darnold and Rosen will be gone). 

5) We should move Glenn to RT next year. Our oline should be fine for next season with the same guys and Mills as a swing tackle. We don't need anymore holes to fill. Preston Brown might do a better job at strong side linebacker, then we could add a great coverage MLB.

6) McCoy should still be a great back next year, but we need someone to compliment him and groom for the future. 

Desparate- Qb1, DE1

Must improve- MLB1, DT1

Lets Go Buffalo!!

My biggest point of difference with you is OL.  I strongly believe we need an influx of OL talent.  Incognito and Wood are good players, but aging.  Wood was consistently pwned by quality DL this year.  Mills is not good enough, and relying on Glenn to play as well on the right or even to return to health is questionable.  Our OL has IMO been a part of the falloff in offensive production this year, or rather some combination of OL and blocking scheme.  Taylor is not good enough as a QB, but he has also been under duress in several games.  If we upgrade QB, especially a young QB, we need to upgrade the OL as well to give him the best shot for success.

I also think we need QB2.  I get it, I get it, Peterman might become a good QB, but he's not there yet.  You want the "next man up" to be Foles or Garappolo, not Sudfeld  or Brissett, and Peterman arguably isn't at the Brissett level.  

I very much want us to go the "all in" Philadelphia or Seattle route and both get the best FA we can, AND draft a QB we like.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

13 hours ago, billspro said:

Desparate- Qb1, DE1

Must improve- MLB1, DT1

Lets Go Buffalo!!

This is pretty much my summary and feelings. Spot on. You saved me all the typing. Now let's execute this plan.

• Like (+1) 1