1000 yard receivers way down this year

Matt_In_NH

Across the league there were 15 1,000 yard receivers in 2017.  The previous 3 years there were 25,26 and 23.   That seems like a really steep drop off.   I did not look it up but I think passing yards in general were off this year.  There has been a lot of emphasis on rule changes favoring offenses in recent years, maybe defenses are finally making some adjustments?  I know in some cases (Patriots, Saints) teams that have passed for a lot are purposely running it more.

1 minute ago, mattynh said:

Across the league there were 15 1,000 yard receivers in 2017.  The previous 3 years there were 25,26 and 23.   That seems like a really steep drop off.   I did not look it up but I think passing yards in general were off this year.  There has been a lot of emphasis on rule changes favoring offenses in recent years, maybe defenses are finally making some adjustments?  I know in some cases (Patriots, Saints) teams that have passed for a lot are purposely running it more.

i just hope the powers that be don't decide to readjust the game again by making it so if you breath on or touch a receiver it is a penalty

Just now, horned dogs said:

i just hope the powers that be don't decide to readjust the game again by making it so if you breath on or touch a receiver it is a penalty

Actually now that you say that it seemed like (anecdotally) Defensive holding calls were way down which I liked.

The NFL in general finally saw a needed regression by offenses. I actually had gotten kinda sick of how offense heavy things have been and enjoy closer defensive games from time to time.

Also there was a good article by ESPN  explaining how right now is a golden age in QB play that has jaded a lot of people for what is good.

5 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Actually now that you say that it seemed like (anecdotally) Defensive holding calls were way down which I liked.

Scoring in football has traditionally been about 20-22 pts/game until recently. The game is much better balanced when this is adhered to. And, the average has moved back down in that direction which I think is a positive. As you said, some teams are running more and defense means something. Now if we can get the guy in NY to read the rule book about reversing calls.

I think it's an anomaly, caused by a high number of injuries to franchise-type QBs (Rodgers, Wentz, Palmer, Luck, Tannehill and Watson, just off the top of my head) and some younger "stars" having less than spectacular years (Prescott, Winston, Mariota).  Also a lot of WR injuries:  For example, all three of the WRs drafted in the top 10 this year missed substantial time because of injuries.