We Don't NEED Shady to Win - Look at the Stats

It's going to definitely hurt to not have him. Even as a "game -time decision", no way he's 100% and can cut like Shady normally does.

Brings this up... If you think we can win without him, do you rest him/let him heal for a potential game against NE in the divisional round? Or run the risk of re-injuring it/having a setback?

4 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

There is a big difference between being the number 1 back and the backup though.

They have the same yards per carry as you mentioned but how many more carries for McCoy vs the rest?

And do you think those guys can handle 15 to 20 touches a game each? I don’t.

Also, there is a big difference when teams game plan when you’re the starter. When shady is in, the the defence will game plan for him, not the backups of course .

The best example I can think of was Karlos Williams. Great backup RB for that year and a half. But when shady missed time and williams was the “bell cow”, he was very ineffective.

TD Mike couldn't be the featured back either when he started a couple games.

Murphy is explosive. He is not featured back material but in a one game situation he better be accounted for. I would play conservative and not throw into the teeth of that defense. The Jags will probably oblige because they love conservative as well. Keep it close and anything can happen in the

4th.

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

We dont hmmm

this team is a -57 point differential playoff team. 

YES THEY DO NEED THEIR BEST PLAYER 

I agree..  However I still Billieve just the same. I do think this team can pull the upset in Jax

Shady is a huge weapon on this offense and we will lose badly without him i'm afraid. He is not only our best runner but, also one of our best receivers. He is by far the best player on this team and anybody that can't realize it has not been watching very closely. The offense disappeared when he got hurt against the dolphins that were adamantly trying to lose that game.

10 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

First: this is not a Lesean McCoy bashing post!*

Rushing stats, 2015-17 (McCoy's 3 seasons with the Bills):

McCoy: 724 rushes, 3300 yards. That's 4.56 yards per carry.

Every other RB/FB combined (this does not include Tyrod, WR runs, etc): 420 rushes, 1930 yards.  4.60 yards per carry.

Obviously, McCoy brings a lot more than running. I think he'll be missed more in the passing game than in the running game. But after 3 seasons, it's obvious that there's more to the Bills running game than just a great back making great plays. You hear it all the time, so often that it's now an NFL cliche: the key to running the ball effectively is, first, committing to running the ball. That's the Bills. The O line is built around guys who are generally better run blockers than pass blockers. We play fullbacks as lead blockers (Felton/DiMarco) more than most teams. Tyrod opens up the running game by being an effective runner himself. There's many reasons, but 3 seasons of being equally effective in the running game with McCoy out as with McCoy in don't lie.  We can run the ball, and that's with such luminaries as Karlos Williams (obviously talented before he smoked/ate himself out of the NFL), Mike Gillislie (in retrospect, a limited talent), Travaris Cadet (imagine Shady if we were 80% as good at everything he does, including catching the ball) and, last Sunday, Mike Tolbert (he does have his value! Just not as much as McD thinks) and a guy signed off the street in Marcus Murphy.  And it's not as if Shady has never been shut down completely either. In fact, Miami seems to have his number.

*I love McCoy. He's a joy to watch. But running backs are pretty easily replaceable in today's NFL. See the proof above. This isn't like losing a starting QB, or even losing an elite WR.

Anyone care to guess who leads our team in receptions and is 2nd on the team in receiving yards?