Games like this make people think NFL is fixed

I was watching the Eagles/Raiders game on Christmas. The game was well in hand for the Eagles when the Raiders went for it on fourth down in the final seconds, with a ridiculous attempt that lead to a fumble, recovered by the Eagles for a TD. Just prior to the play, Carr had a conversation with an official that seemed odd at the time and lead me to believe something was about to happen to affect the outcome based on the spread, turns out I was right.

I am not normally the tin foil hat type but it seemed staged enough to make me research the spread after the game and as it turns out MANY gamblers were affected by this outcome. This odd, unnecessary play, coupled with the Eagles decision to take a knee rather than kick the extra point seemed unusual as I watched it and the outcome appears to have helped Vegas considerably. Judge for yourselves:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/raiders-eagles-bad-beat-betting-line-point-spread-final-play-vegas/qjxn60x95kp41g6flhdjhvs2v

https://sportshandle.com/eagles-raiders-defensive-score-spread-oh-boy/

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/26/eagles-raiders-almost-ended-bad-beat-cover-spread

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

4 minutes ago, Direhard Fan said:

Why would you even bring this up??  We all have seen over the years these kind of plays.  It's all about the money honey.  

I've been meaning to discuss this since watching the game but haven't had the time. I agree that we have seen this before but it was crazy watching it play out live and feeling like something was going on. The side bar that Carr took with the official prior to the play stood out to me.  Things like this may not always affect the outcome of the game itself but they definitely affect the outcome of the game vs the spread. 

Ok so...the Eagles were up 3. Carr and the official had an odd discussion obviously about making sure the point spread was covered. Next play, Eagles score and then still don't cover the spread due to taking a knee on the extra point. Do I have that scenario correct?

If the "fix" was on what help was that TD? Was it just the Eagles weren't in on it? Could it be they didn't want to risk injury with a competitive play? It's absolutely hysterical how after we play the Patties every 3rd thread is a conspiracy thread.

14 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Ok so...the Eagles were up 3. Carr and the official had an odd discussion obviously about making sure the point spread was covered. Next play, Eagles score and then still don't cover the spread due to taking a knee on the extra point. Do I have that scenario correct?

If the "fix" was on what help was that TD? Was it just the Eagles weren't in on it? Could it be they didn't want to risk injury with a competitive play? It's absolutely hysterical how after we play the Patties every 3rd thread is a conspiracy thread.

Yeah no kidding.  So the Raiders AND the Eagles coaching staffs were "in on it" (for opposite bets??)?

What does the OP think Carr said to the refs that would advance the "conspiracy" here?  And why would the Eagles HC want his (betting) fans to take a beat like this?

13 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Taken from one of the articles:

At the time that I published my Week 16 column (results of which were less than great this week), the Las Vegas consensus line was 9.

Just because the line closed at 10, does not mean that's where a majority of the money was. So no, you do not have the scenario correct. They didn't want to risk injury by kicking an extra point? Seriously?  I am not even saying that I believe all games are fixed, or anything like that, but unusual endings like this, that affect gambling payouts, make you question the integrity of some games.

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah no kidding.  So the Raiders AND the Eagles coaching staffs were "in on it" (for opposite bets??)?

What does the OP think Carr said to the refs that would advance the "conspiracy" here?  And why would the Eagles HC want his (betting) fans to take a beat like this?

I have no idea what was said, but like I said, it seemed unusual as I was watching it and the outcome of that play made it even more so.  

2 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Taken from one of the articles:

At the time that I published my Week 16 column (results of which were less than great this week), the Las Vegas consensus line was 9.

Just because the line closed at 10, does not mean that's where a majority of the money was. So no, you do not have the scenario correct. They didn't want to risk injury by kicking an extra point? Seriously?  I am not even saying that I believe all games are fixed, or anything like that, but unusual endings like this, that affect gambling payouts, make you question the integrity of some games.

I have no idea what was said, but like I said, it seemed unusual as I was watching it and the outcome of that play made it even more so.  

So you think:

A) Carr was throwing  the game for bettors who had his team getting less than 10 points

and..

B) Eagles HC was throwing away the PAT for those that had taken the Raiders 8.5

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

So you think:

A) Carr was throwing  the game for bettors who had his team getting less than 10 points

and..

B) Eagles HC was throwing away the PAT for those that had taken the Raiders 8.5

No, I believe it all COULD just be a coincidence but I believe it is outcomes like these that make fans believe games could be fixed.  I am honestly not sure what to believe any more but I have to admit that the final outcome benefitted Vegas MUCH more than a 13-10 ending would have. 

8 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

No, I believe it all COULD just be a coincidence but I believe it is outcomes like these that make fans believe games could be fixed.  I am honestly not sure what to believe any more but I have to admit that the final outcome benefitted Vegas MUCH more than a 13-10 ending would have. 

If there was a conspiracy to affect the betting outcome, it would have to be true that one group got to Carr and another got to the Eagles HC.

What are the odds....

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If there was a conspiracy to affect the betting outcome, it would have to be true that one group got to Carr and another got to the Eagles HC.

What are the odds....

And it would also be true that they wouldn't be worried about any of the players, officials or microphones that are plastered literally all over the NFL field on gameday picking up what they are saying. Pretty certain even if the NFL was "in on it" that the media would love to break a story so compelling.

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What are the odds....

Seems far fetched I know, I don't want to believe the NFL is becoming WWE or boxing, but stranger things have happened. As far as your point, it is possible that someone would only have to get to the Raiders, 9 or 10 points still creates a favorable outcome compared to 3. It is plausible that the Eagles didn't kick strictly because they didn't need to.

25 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Seems far fetched I know, I don't want to believe the NFL is becoming WWE or boxing, but stranger things have happened. As far as your point, it is possible that someone would only have to get to the Raiders, 9 or 10 points still creates a favorable outcome compared to 3. It is plausible that the Eagles didn't kick strictly because they didn't need to.

By not kicking, all those Eagles fans who were giving 10 took a loss for no reason.  Thats' on the Eagles. 

To me, that's a more bizarre decision than Carr's play selection.  They kick a routine (and expected) PAT and no Eagles bettor loses.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

I agree with the OP. Some don't want to believe that stuff like this happens, but it most certainly does. I've seen plenty of games in my day that will "make you think some games are fixed", and it doesn't happen all the time, but it most certainly does happen on occasion IMO.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

3 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I agree with the OP. Some don't want to believe that stuff like this happens, but it most certainly does. I've seen plenty of games in my day that will "make you think some games are fixed", and it doesn't happen all the time, but it most certainly does happen on occasion IMO.

NFL game fixing "most certainly does" happen?  Players and HC's throw games?

1 hour ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

you're looking at it in an all-or-nothing type of way I personally don't buy that you are looking at a fix here because what you said makes sense so car in the official conspire to get the points covered but then Peters and randomly goes against it

What people are saying though and I'll repeat it again because it's apparently not singing in what the Patriots are doing are still is statistically impossible you simply don't go 11 and 5 with Matt Cassel

It's also statistically impossible that the bills drought can go go on this long

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

NFL game fixing "most certainly does" happen?  Players and HC's throw games?

To be fair, this example is not about throwing a game, it is about a highly unlikely series of events that made the score line up with a point spread in a way that was advantageous to Vegas.  (by a team about to move to Vegas coincidentally?) I never said Carr threw the game.

I'll always say that the 2003-2004 Buffalo Bills were incredibly loaded and it's a joke that they didn't make the playoffs let alone go far in the playoffs

Same thing with the 2012 team same thing with the 2014 through 2016 teams specifically 2015

The 2015 bills a man 1/2 man 53 was one of the more talented teams I've seen in a long time they completely destroyed a Super Bowl favorite the Colts opening day and I mean destroy them and then blah didn't make the playoffs

Oooooookkkkkkkk

1 minute ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

To be fair, this example is not about throwing a game as it is about a highly unlikely series of events that made the score line up with a point spread in a way that was advantageous to Vegas.  (by a team about to move to Vegas coincidentally?) I never said Carr threw the game.

Not throwing the win but throwing the ball away so the Eagles could cover the spread.  That's what you're saying he did.  What else would you be hinting at regarding Carr?

3 minutes ago, westerndecline said:

you're looking at it in an all-or-nothing type of way I personally don't buy that you are looking at a fix here because what you said makes sense so car in the official conspire to get the points covered but then Peters and randomly goes against it

What people are saying though and I'll repeat it again because it's apparently not singing in what the Patriots are doing are still is statistically impossible you simply don't go 11 and 5 with Matt Cassel

It's also statistically impossible that the bills drought can go go on this long

I was going to discuss...but I honestly have no foggy clue how anything you said even remotely relates to my point. 

The 2004 Buffalo Bills defense had 9 pro bowlers 9 people 9 I'll say it again 9 pro bowlers including backups in a few starters like Coy wire eyes I'll Reese Pierson prioleau Kevin Thomas Chris kelsay Ryan Denny Justin bannan Ron Edwards Dominique Stevenson guys that were talented and they still lost to the Steelers backups

I called b*******

Just now, KelsaysLunchbox said:

I was going to discuss...but I honestly have no foggy clue how anything you said even remotely relates to my point. 

Because you refuse to see reality dude

4 minutes ago, westerndecline said:

I'll always say that the 2003-2004 Buffalo Bills were incredibly loaded and it's a joke that they didn't make the playoffs let alone go far in the playoffs

Same thing with the 2012 team same thing with the 2014 through 2016 teams specifically 2015

The 2015 bills a man 1/2 man 53 was one of the more talented teams I've seen in a long time they completely destroyed a Super Bowl favorite the Colts opening day and I mean destroy them and then blah didn't make the playoffs

Oooooookkkkkkkk

lol WTF?

The 2012 team was 6-10.  They were 7-9 in 2016......

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not throwing the win but throwing the ball away so the Eagles could cover the spread.  That's what you're saying he did.  What else would you be hinting at regarding Carr?

Yes, that I AM saying. It is getting hard to believe that things like this, that appear to line up just perfectly for "Vegas" are strictly good/bad luck. I would like to believe that any football player would be too competitive to intentionally lose a game, but a few points here or there that doesn't affect the outcome of the game? Who knows...

1 minute ago, westerndecline said:

The 2004 Buffalo Bills defense had 9 pro bowlers 9 people 9 I'll say it again 9 pro bowlers including backups in a few starters like Coy wire eyes I'll Reese Pierson prioleau Kevin Thomas Chris kelsay Ryan Denny Justin bannan Ron Edwards Dominique Stevenson guys that were talented and they still lost to the Steelers backups

I called b*******

Yeaaaa...that's ummmm...one heck of a Murderers Row ?

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol WTF?

The 2012 team was 6-10.  They were 7-9 in 2016......

Meds. He needs some.

4 minutes ago, westerndecline said:

I called b*******

Oh man.

Stevenson wasn't a Bill in 2004.  But yes, they couldn't beat the Steelers 3rd stringers, but they would have gone deep into the playoffs?

Pure gold...

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Oh man.

Stevenson wasn't a Bill in 2004.  But yes, they couldn't beat the Steelers 3rd stringers, but they would have gone deep into the playoffs?

Pure gold...

Did they have 9 pro bowlers yes or no just on defense by the way

Basically what you're saying is just kill spikes Sam Adams lawyer milloy Nate Clements Aaron schobel Pat Williams weren't good enough

4 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Yes, that I AM saying. It is getting hard to believe that things like this, that appear to line up just perfectly for "Vegas" are strictly good/bad luck. I would like to believe that any football player would be too competitive to intentionally lose a game, but a few points here or there that doesn't affect the outcome of the game? Who knows...

If the Eagles covered, how would that help Vegas?

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If the Eagles covered, how would that help Vegas?

I believe Vegas benefits by getting the spread exact, but without knowing who the most money was bet on and at what spread, I can't make a definitive statement.  There was supposedly a good deal of money on 9 and 10. The final score was WAY more beneficial to them to than the Eagles winning by 3.