It is really snowing in Erie

Punching Bag

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Yeah, that is the bad part... that stuff ain't melting.  The good part is maybe Lake Erie will freeze over soon ending the crazy snowmaking machine.

Isnt it too cold to snow heavily this week??!

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Isnt it too cold to snow heavily this week??!

Wind picks up moisture from the warm lake water.  When the warm moist air gets inland it cools and falls back to land as snow

The warm lake water is driving the snowfall, not the cold air temp

Noon news says Airport officially reopened :w00t:

Doesn't necessarily mean the airlines will operate on schedule but I can only hope at this point

Weather cams show the shallow water off Presque Isle are starting to freeze.  

3 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Wind picks up moisture from the warm lake water.  When the warm moist air gets inland it cools and falls back to land as snow

The warm lake water is driving the snowfall, not the cold air temp

Kinda. I always was under inpression that the cold blast over warm lake put the snow machine on steroids.  So it is the cold at first that matters.  But eventually the cold will freeze the Lake and shut machine off.

So, I think it is both.  Need the cold temp moving over the fetch of a "warm" body of water.

1 minute ago, /dev/null said:

Reduced speed to 45 and some stretches are down to a single plowed lane.

Yuck... Not sure what I will do.  I save the tolls going through the NOT so Great White North... Windward side of Lake.  But it does knock time.  But if it is slow go, gonna lose time anyway.

This may be a game time decision... I look to the Donner Party to give me guidance! <_<

Saw a facebook posting from someone I knowwho is driving to Orlando. They left yesterday morning and posted a picture from the Thruway near the state line . Lot odf snow bit they didn't post anything about being stuck there.They live in Colden and were leaving 2.5 feet of snow.

Edited by Wacka

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Yup

living a mile north of Lake Ontario has a moderating effect on the weather around me

But don't you get it from the west out of Lake Huron, Georgian Bay... Or are you too far away (Assuming Toronto).

This is why Chicago is where it is.  We only average 35 inches a year on this side of Lake and greatest yearly snowfall was about 81" in 1978.   Chicago never had a 24 hour snowfall over 21"

Just don't get mega snows windward of the Lake like the alee sides do.  But when we do, it's like snow on steriods... Too many people, 10 million from WI to IN, and flat as hell...

7 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Saw a facebook posting from someone I knowwho is driving to Orlando. They left yesterday morning and posted a picture from the Thruway near the state line . Lot odf snow bit they didn't post anything about being stuck there.

Thanx.  It's either Canuckland or blasting on through... No way am I tacking around through inner Pennsyltucky... I hear everone looks like Cletus & Boyst and they like purdy mouths... 

...I will take my chances at the Sarnia border crossing. :P

Cold here in Cheektowaga 4degrees with -5 wind chill but we had only about 2-3 inches since Saturday. The wind finally died down.  Am in the warm house today.

My mom (91)  slipped and hit her side on the dining room table on Xmas night. Took her to the ER yesterday. No broken ribs, just bruises.  Am staying home to help her today.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2