Should the NFL start firing referees who make bad calls?

Klaista2k

In the NBA on a scramble out of bounds the refs wisely ignored the foul on contact and just gave the ball to the other team

now we have to go to tips of the finger and pretend there wasn't a foul that they ignored by giving the possession to the fouled team...

So now you can truck the guy and get no foul and the ball after a replay.

YAY!!!

7 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Rather than fire officials, make the rules simpler.  If you have the ball in your hands, it's a catch.  It's absurd that the ground cannot cause a fumble but it can cause a pass to be incomplete.   You grab a guy, it's holding.  And so on.

And get rid of replays.  Every sport has an element of human error associated with it when it comes to officiating, and it's past time to think you can get every call perfect. 

The Benjamin TD reversal was not a problem with the rules. The J. James catch in the Steelers game -- yes.

But Benjamin had control and both of his feet touched down. They just made the wrong call and it's inexcusable. 

26 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

The Benjamin TD reversal was not a problem with the rules. The J. James catch in the Steelers game -- yes.

But Benjamin had control and both of his feet touched down. They just made the wrong call and it's inexcusable. 

True.   It's just ridiculous at this point.  Especially the James one.  If he was a runner it's a TD but not if he's a receiver.  And the Benjamin one there's no point even having refs make calls on the field if you reverse a guy standing right there making the call.

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Every ref in the NFL knows the rule book backwards and forwards.  This is about judgment calls, and there will always be human error associated with that.  having guys be full time won't change that.  Having rules that make sense would help.  I mentioned above but it is beyond absurd that the ground cannot cause a fumble if you're carrying the ball, but it can cause a pass to be incomplete.

I wish they'd do away with replay altogether.  Accept that in a sport as fast as football some calls will be wrong.  Back in the day before all the technocrap they calls tended to even out anyway.

...make them all go through TC like players do....rules review sessions, film sessions highlighting questionable calls and/or rules changes/clarifications......are they exempt from learning from mistakes?...........

Stop arguing, the replays goofs do whatever they want and couldn’t care less what the replay shows

no wait.... spend 6 hours quibbling and moaning over the dumb reversals that screwed the Bills, a shock factor of zero point zero that it went the Pats way

On 12/26/2017 at 6:58 PM, Rick B said:

Rather than just firing the ref, I think a system like what's used in many work places. A graduated system starting with reprimands and ending with terminations.

This is a logical alternative.

I also like releasing the lowest rated crew or 2 lowest rated positions per year regardless of their rating.  If you are the lowest of all, turn them over for new talent.

5 hours ago, CodeMonkey said:

The first thing to do IMO is stop hiring officials that are 150 years old.

That is as unlikely as TBD disallowing 5 year old to post as you prove by your post.

If you want a fitness test for zebras fine; have them be chased by some lions to endure they can run fast enough.

On 12/28/2017 at 10:41 PM, Limeaid said:

That is as unlikely as TBD disallowing 5 year old to post as you prove by your post.

If you want a fitness test for zebras fine; have them be chased by some lions to endure they can run fast enough.

My point, which must be over your 5 year old mentality, was that you can't hire old people and expect them to keep up with the speed of NFL players, and not make mistakes due to that.  But yes, a fitness test would probably be a good place to begin.

1 hour ago, CodeMonkey said:

My point, which must be over your 5 year old mentality, was that you can't hire old people and expect them to keep up with the speed of NFL players, and not make mistakes due to that.  But yes, a fitness test would probably be a good place to begin.

No my point was above your 5 month mentality.  Exaggeration does not add to argument. if you want a certain speed make it a requirement not age.