almost 21 trillion in debt, an aging society....

4 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Has anyone with a college degree ever read Noam Chomsky for a class? Seriously, I hear bs like this all the time and I'm convinced it only comes from people who never went to college. 

I've got a political science degree and if I ever read any Noam Chomsky it was maybe an excerpt or a small essay. I know my buddies with real degrees in engineering and hard sciences have no clue who the guy is.

Was being sarcastic..

My point was outside of stem ( a minority of college majors), liberal arts degrees and such are nothing more than a trillion dollars spent on Paul farmer books, Rene Descartes, and Albert camus.... And yes in tht trillion is Starbucks. It helps us college grads seem smarter.

It was the biggest waste of time in my life as much as a cliche tht is.

I spent five years in a drunken stupor chasing breasts and ass.

Meanwhile I still am in a drunken stupor but I now have a job and pay taxes like a functional person in society

Edited by westerndecline

17 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Since 1913 the dollar has been devalued over 93%. 

What else happened in that same year?

I suggest you read and listen to the linked Solari report on page one. The authors of the new audit make a strong case this is NOT just a matter of adjustments.

https://solari.com/blog/dod-and-hud-missing-money-supporting-documentation/ 

Say what?

On 11/30/2017 at 12:59 AM, westerndecline said:

You would need to start with ss and Medicare, the two biggest budget items by far.

How is this possible, how would you even replace it.

I'm pretty much libertarian, but u can't just leave old ppl in shelters to die off can you?

If you did an honest cut of government, and non productive institutions, you would see a catastrophic collapse

What would happen after is not worth risking to see imho

Well building shelters is expensive too. And they definitely can't stay at home due to burden shifting onto more productive generations of earners. 

Best way to solve an aging society's issues is probably to kill everyone over 50. Short of that, politicians will just have to make do...I wouldn't expect any sweeping changes as long as the majority of citizens live indoors and make at least 3-6x the poverty line.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

That's some of the most fallacious reasoning I've ever seen.

The reason politicians haven't undone or reformed Social Security is because doing so is the most obvious sort of political suicide.  

Social Security was a Trojan Horse by design, and can't be undone because those whom have been forced to pay into it are, with sound reason, reluctant to forfeit the one minor benefit of having their savings pilfered by a strongman their entire lives; and they also happen to be the folks who vote.

I think you can appeal to reasonable people that the age for benefit may need o be raised, as well as some means testing.

8 minutes ago, B-Large said:

I think you can appeal to reasonable people that the age for benefit may need o be raised, as well as some means testing.

If I'm working or middle class at or near retirement age, and have worked 40 or more years with Uncle Sam's hand in my pocket based on the promise that he took away a portion of my retirement savings tied to the promise to annuitize payments to me during my senior years, there is no way I'm willing to give that up.  That's my life and livelihood, and at the point in life, the trade off for a privately held financial legacy.

Add that to the fact that you're looking to break your promise to me so that you can give what you promised me in exchange for my work to someone who didn't plan for retirement because I planned well for my retirement?

You think there are lots of responsible savers out there looking to fork over a piece of the comfortable retirement they were promised to people who were irresponsible because they were irresponsible?

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

11 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Is a dollar worth less or more today than it was in 1913?

Yes and no....

If it takes five tokens or ten tokens, it's irrelevant to some degree if u did the same work for the exchange currency. (If the wages can slowly keep place)....

The problem is when markets are devalued. In other words it takes more and more actual work and value to get something static like a gallon of milk.

Hyper inflation is a problem eventually though because it's greater purchasing power in the present for big finance, but eventually becomes a de facto tax down the road.... This is why car insurance is 300-500$ a month instead of 120

Sorry for the log explanation. But yeah they are not necessarily the same thing

Edited by westerndecline

4 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Is a dollar worth less or more today than it was in 1913?

Well, according to your link, a dollar today worth 25.17 times what it was worth in 2017