Why not turn the tables on Asian Carp?

Cripple Creek

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

I never realized how batt crap looney left-enviro people are... All emotion!

Sorry that my vote adds to the problem.

Wow, you are certainly into jumping to conclusions about people and name calling. Your mother must be so proud.

Was your father a bigot too?

3 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

The damm dam is only there because of your organization you maroon.

Privatize the entire bunch and start from scratch.  

It can't be done constitutionally, privatized.

Who's gonna do it for free?

Do you have trillions to throw around?

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

Wow, you are certainly into jumping to conclusions about people and name calling. Your mother must be so proud.

Was your father a bigot too?

No.  Enviro is pure emotion.  It can go bi-partisan.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

5 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

There is no lock fee. All free.

Northwest Ordinance of 1789.

All tributaries of St.Lawrence and Mississippi shall forever be free from toll and be common highways.

Or something like that off the top of my head. 

That's before the Constitution. Null and void law in my legal opinion 

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

That's before the Constitution. Null and void law in my legal opinion 

No.  You are confusing it w/1787 under the Articles.  First thing reaffirmed under USC:

"The 1787 law relied on a strong central government, which was assured under the new Constitution that took effect in 1789. In August 1789, it was replaced by the Northwest Ordinance of 1789, in which the new Congress reaffirmed the Ordinance with slight modifications."

We still live "by" it in the states created out of the Old Northwest:

In order of statehood...

OH, IN, IN, MI, WI, MN (Arrowhead)...

• Thank you (+1) 1

Our current USC was effective, March 4th, 1789.  Nwest Ordinance of 1789 was August 7,  1789:

Northwest Ordinance

The Northwest Ordinance (formally An Ordinance for the Government of the Territory of the United States, North-West of the River Ohio, and also known as the Freedom Ordinance or The Ordinance of 1787) was an act of the Congress of the Confederation of the United States (the Confederation Congress), passed July 13, 1787. The ordinance created the Northwest Territory, the first organized territory of the United States, from lands beyond the Appalachian Mountains, between British Canada and the Great Lakes to the north and the Ohio River to the south. The upper Mississippi River formed the Territory's western boundary.

On August 7, 1789, first President George Washingtonsigned a replacement, the Northwest Ordinance of 1789, in which the new U.S. Congress reaffirmed the Ordinance with slight modifications under the newly effective Constitution of the United States. The Ordinance purported to be not merely legislation that could later be amended by the Congress, but rather "the following articles shall be considered as Articles of compact between the original States and the people and states in the said territory, and forever remain unalterable, unless by common consent...."

Arguably the single most important piece of legislation passed by members of the earlier Continental Congresses and the Confederation Congress, other than the Declaration of Independenceitself and the seminal, precedent-setting "Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union", it established the precedent by which the Federal government would be sovereign and expand westward across North Americawith the admission of new states, rather than with the expansion of existing states and their established sovereignty under the Articles of Confederation. It is the most important legislation that Congress has passed with regard to American public domain lands. The U.S. Supreme Court recognized the authority of the Northwest Ordinance of 1789 within the applicable Northwest Territory as constitutional in Strader v. Graham, 51 U.S. 82, 96, 97 (1851), but did not extend the Ordinance to cover the respective states once they were admitted to the Union

Read the last part about Strader v. Graham (1851)... There is the kink in the armor, IMO, for the states battling against the "common highways" in Article 4 (I think... Off the top of my head).

Why isn't there a toll on the inland waterways?

Look it... I am all for the environment.  I am also a Federalist.  But NO harm has been created.  YET.  Who knows if harm will ever be created by the Asian carp.  The SCOTUS has unanimously decided the same a few years ago. On multiple occasions.

Going to the SCOTUS saying the sky is falling, wanting to cause immediate economic distress, isn't going to cut it! There's over 200 years of waterway and commerce precedent to turn on its head over a silly fish.

Notice the official complainants: MI, WI, OH, PA, MN have been shot down by the SCOTUS a couple of times... I think in 2010/2011.  They aren't going to cause ecomonic harm on a big "what if."

Oh... Look it up... NYS is nowhere officially in on those lawsuits.  Why?  They back the suit though.

Correction:  the SCOTUS won't even entertain it.  It is so cut and dry.  US District Court and Court of Appeals shot the suits down.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 11:50 AM, Cripple Creek said:

Let them in. Terrific source of protein for humans and their pets. Revive the fishing industry. Revive the fish processing industry.

http://ilrdss.isws.illinois.edu/pubs/govconf2007/session2c/SteveShults.pdf

http://www.sfishinc.com/stollerfisheries/speciesoffish.html

I'm not going to read through this whole thread so sorry if this has been proposed already, but why don't we just release Asian people into our rivers and lakes?  They have been eating these carp for millennia and they're quite good at it.

• Haha (+1) 1