Vic Carucci's Interesting Take On Why Tyrod Was Benched

BuffaloRush

4 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I agree with this but I think the league and everyone knows the Bills have not been that committed to Taylor. Factor in that they haven't been afraid to make controversial moves with the Watkins and Dareus trade leaving the benching completely out of it.

It's such a conservative league, I think the league would just wait until the Bills have to make a decision on the 3rd league day of the year on whether to pick up the option. The contract status, lack of organizational commitment before the benching really kill any potential trade value for Tyrod imo. If it was the NBA or NHL I'd completely agree with your view.

Cam Newton made it to the Superbowl and lost to a team that a lot of people thought Carolina was better than.

Cam Newton didn't win a Superbowl, but he was certainly capable that year.

Colin Kaepernick lost at the very end and just didn't finish that year. Do I think he could do it now or has been the same since? Absolutely not, but the defense essentially retired after that year. Harbaugh got ran off and they just finally hired a legit coach. Colin Kaepernick did not prevent that team from winning the superbowl regardless of what you think of him off the field. He destroyed Green Bay in Green Bay vs Aaron Rodgers with his style and they had no answer and he didnt get hurt.

I also noticed you conveniently left Russel Wilson out too.

These guys were all better than Tyrod at their peak so it's moot. But the general point you are trying to make I think is just wrong. And the OC agrees with you, so that's why we are at benching Tyrod and playing a 1980s style offense.

It's also funny how we say hey so and so never won a Superbowl. So him and his style can't do it. There has been less then 50 super bowl winning QBs. You pointed out guys that are a coin flip away essentially from being Superbowl winning QBs and said that style cant work. It doesn't count, but heads or tails for a SB, I'll take.

We never go hey Jake Plummer, Gus Ferrotte, Marc Bulger, Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf, and really Drew Bledsoe counts... Those guys couldn't win a Superbowl, that style of play never works.

Jim Kelly never won a SB in 4 tries, either.

On November 17, 2017 at 2:21 PM, eball said:

Dave, I'm going by what has been pretty widespread analysis that Tyrod's stats don't really tell the story.  He's not taking any chances in the passing game, so when the running game isn't working the offense is stagnant.  You can't measure "attempts not taken" unless you break down every play on the All-22 tape and I don't have time to do that.  What is patently obvious, however, is that the Bills' WRs have been criminally underutilized by Tyrod.

It has got to be incredibly frustrating for the coaches and players to look at the tape and see opportunities that weren't taken.  I think McD/Dennison reached the breaking point after reviewing Sunday's tape and decided Peterman will at least give them a chance to put an NFL-caliber passing game on the field.

I stand by what I said. Not a good decision at all. I am very skeptical of this coach going forward.

It is now halftime and peterman is still qb. Season was on the line, and mcdermott didn't put tyrod back in. Looks like Vic's theory was essentially correct. They will not play him no matter what despite the fact that after int 3, it was clear he gave them a better chance to win. The defense has quit on this coach too. 

Edited by dave mcbride

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

It is now halftime and peterman is still qb. Season was on the line, and mcdermott didn't put tyrod back in. Looks like Vic's theory was essentially correct. They will not play him no matter what despite the fact that after int 3, it was clear he gave them a better chance to win. The defense has quit on this coach too. 

Just to clarify, the "allergic to turnovers" coach didn't deem it necessary to make the hook until 5 TOs and 37 points had happened. Then it was ok for the superior-yet-flawed qb to come in.

dennison has to go.

On 11/17/2017 at 12:30 PM, BarkLessWagMore said:

FWIW my wife was delighted when I informed her of the switch. Mostly because she has two eyes and a brain and even as a casual fan can see that TT is simply not good enough. Great guy and teammate but average QB.

What do your wife's two eyes and brain think about Peterman's performance today? Was he not mobile enough?  Did he not make good decisions?  Take your PICK!

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Pegula should take a "calculated risk" and fire McBeane at seasons end. 

At at this rate they aren't winning another game this year.

I'm sure all the good coaches will be lining up for the job if that happens. And then we can go through more seasons of cutting guys to fit the new systems we bring in!

18 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You have anything to say today buddy? I bet you dont...Lol

About what?  My prior statement remains the truth.

TT was helpless against the Ravens pressure, NP stepped in still against the first team and performed much better.  That was a fact Saturday and it's still a fact.

TT was playing in garbage time in the fourth quarter against the Saints and still couldn't move the ball, and NP came in moments later and did.  Still a fact.

PS - you lost your bet.  Too bad there was nothing on the line.

23 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Honestly a really terrible idea.  Maybe the most foolish thing  I've read here in a while and that's saying quite a bit.

Edited by BobChalmers

23 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Because they had a talented roster and are underachieving?

McD and Beane have come in here and done what we all thought they would do before the season. Tearing the house down to nothing.

The problem is that we (including me) were drinking the +15 turnover margin and thought they might be ready now by some miracle. Turns out their process, and what we all believed back in pre-season, is true. They are a bad team and the rebuild will take time. It sucks because we're all impatient after 18 years but another turn of the coaching regime change is NOT the way to success (at least not for a couple years). On that, I am positive. 

This will get worse before it gets better. 2020 is the year I expect playoffs. Next year will be a year of young guys struggling to acclimate. 2019 will be more young guys coming in and better vets leaving. By 2020, this group will hopefully establish a culture. 

Tyrod is not the QB of 2020. Peterman probably isn't either. They are finding out who, if anyone, gives a crap. 

Edited by BeginnersMind