Rumor from Cardinal Message Board

Just for fun, some fan of the cardinals mentions another rumor (to pass the time) about the shelton for henry trade. Adding, he heard shelton and a 1st or 2nd (better be a 1st) for henry and clements. Like most rumors have no actual value but good reading to pass the time. I'm trying to post the link, not sure where this will go. It's towards the bottom and was posted yesterday afternoon around 3:00.

http://www.azcardinals.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?

Just for fun, some fan of the cardinals mentions another rumor (to pass the time) about the shelton for henry trade. Adding, he heard shelton and a 1st or 2nd (better be a 1st) for henry and clements. Like most rumors have no actual value but good reading to pass the time. I'm trying to post the link, not sure where this will go. It's towards the bottom and was posted yesterday afternoon around 3:00.

http://www.azcardinals.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?

264670[/snapback]

You waited 18 months for your 1st post..and then its a wild rumor..shame shame ;)

Just pokin fun man,,,Alot of talk lately about NC on the trading block,,has this been the holdup in the TH trade??? Hope not,, :D

Looks like a bunch of kids made this up and are talking smack, killing time.  ;)

264687[/snapback]

You are correct sir.

I'm not sure what which is worse ... the individual who mixes the kool aid and creates these rumors or the masses that drink it and believe in them. :D:D

I would hate that trade... Henry and Clements are Pro Bowlers

264678[/snapback]

And they will both be gone next year for ZERO compensation. Players with a year left on the contract we should attempt to sign or else trade for best value.....

We would have been furhter ahead if we had traded Winfield for a #1 before his last year...its smart move to do so

And they will both be gone next year for ZERO compensation. Players with a year left on the contract we should attempt to sign or else trade for best value.....

We would have been furhter ahead if we had traded Winfield for a #1 before his last year...its smart move to do so

264739[/snapback]

Actually, I'm not so sure about this...

If you lose players as free agents, don't you get compensation depending on how good they were? Well, both NC and TH have been to the Pro Bowl. So, if we keep them through next year, shouldn't we get some decent compensation for them? Yeah, not a first rounder, but I'd guess at least a 3rd and 4th or something like that (as I don't think compensatory picks go above a 3rd rounder). So in that light, maybe it makes sense to keep Henry on the bench rather than cut him outright.

CW

We don't get anything if they leave. The are both UNRESTICTED free agents. You only get compensation for RESTRICTED free agents. Anyone with 4 or more years in the league is unrestricted.

Actually, I'm not so sure about this...

If you lose players as free agents, don't you get compensation depending on how good they were?  Well, both NC and TH have been to the Pro Bowl.  So, if we keep them through next year, shouldn't we get some decent compensation for them?  Yeah, not a first rounder, but I'd guess at least a 3rd and 4th or something like that (as I don't think compensatory picks go above a 3rd rounder).  So in that light, maybe it makes sense to keep Henry on the bench rather than cut him outright.

CW

264743[/snapback]

I would hate that trade... Henry and Clements are Pro Bowlers

264678[/snapback]

Henry is not a pro-bowler. He is runnign back with two years straigh of lower laeg injuries, an average receiver and poor blocker. He also was a running style that limits a RB's career.

Tough player, who is great to have around. But not a great player.

Who's to say we won't get a deal done with Hate this offseason? And even if we don't we could always use the franchise tag if we think we need him that badly. I just think all this talk abotu trading him this eyar or losing him next year is false. Clements just had his best year with us and he's still young. I don't think we'll just lose him for nothing after next year. Worst case scenario is that we designate him with ohne of the two tags and work out a trade. Donahoe's too good to just let that type of talent walk without getting anything.

Another thing I believe. When Donahoe decided to let Winfield walk last year he had a decision to make. Do we lock up Winfield and let Nate walk when his contract is up, or do we let Winfield walk and lock Nate up long term? There is no way we were going to ever have the money to sign the both of them and since we let Antoine leave I think it's even more evidence that we will be investing some big bucks in Nate.

My barber's second cousin's butcher told me that he knows a guy who knows a guy who's the niece of the assistant traveling secretary of the St. Louis Rams and he told her that Orlando Pace was going to be traded to Buffalo for Aaron Schobel.

Book it.

(Its just as valid as some random message board scribbling)

While I know we all scour the web and various boards looking for what we want to see, reality must be checked here people.

My barber's second cousin's butcher told me that he knows a guy who knows a guy who's the niece of the assistant traveling secretary of the St. Louis Rams and he told her that Orlando Pace was going to be traded to Buffalo for Aaron Schobel.

Book it.

While I know we all scour the web and various boards looking for what we want to see, reality must be checked here people.

264770[/snapback]

I heard the same thing. Except from my cousins friends sisters mothers mother. She's a big football fan.

Bring on Pace.

Book it.

264770[/snapback]

Glad you could stop by to invoke your wisdom upon us... ;)

We don't get anything if they leave.  The are both UNRESTICTED  free agents.  You only get compensation for RESTRICTED free agents.  Anyone with 4 or more years in the league is unrestricted.

264756[/snapback]

I guess I'll do my own research.

I was correct, you do get compensation:

http://www.theredzone.org/2005/freeagents/defintions.asp

Specifically:

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT (UFA): A player whose contract has expired and has four or more tenured years in the league. He may sign with any other team with no restrictions. If a team loses more UFAs than it signs, they will be awarded "Compensatory Draft Picks" from the league. The value of the pick is determined by the difference of the contracts signed by the players lost and those acquired. If a team has signed an equal number or more UFAs than it has lost, no "Compensatory Picks" will be awarded.

COMPENSATORY DRAFT PICKS: Compensation awarded by the league to teams who lost more UFAs than they signed. Compensation is in the form of extra draft picks added to the end of rounds three through seven. The quantity of picks is equivalent to the difference of UFAs signed to UFAs lost. For example, if a team loses 4 UFAs and signs 1 UFA, they will receive three Compensatory Selections. The value of the picks is determined by the difference of the contracts signed by the players lost and those acquired. The highest possible compensatory pick is the 31st of the third round (91st overall). If a team has signed an equal number or more UFAs than it lost, no "Compensatory Picks" are awarded.

Teams don't get compensation from the CURRENT draft (so we'd get picks in the '07 draft for players that leave in '06), and we don't get compensation from the team signing the players, they're just additional picks.

I'd feel better if this was on the NFL website though, just in case something has changed in the last year or two.

CW