Is every team with 3 losses doomed?

17 hours ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

Time to quit living in the past. Yea, the last 17 years have sucked, and left many with a bad taste in their mouth, but let it go.

This team has a lot happening for them that teams of the last 17 year haven't. Try to take the time to be a little optimistic about our decent start. You may enjoy it.

You can't just tell people to just stop and let go of 17 years like a flip of a switch. There is a real mental and emotional toll during that time we have went to. How did you not sit there Thursday and have flashbacks to 2008/2011 when we got absolutely throttled by the Jets and went from feeling secure to the playoffs to having to look behind a little. Additionally some of the absolutely gut punching losses in just the past 5 years are hard to get out of your head when things go south. We have a trilogy of games already against KC alone that I wish i could throw into the Sun and never remember. The Tampa Bay game felt like so many we have had before where they blow a lead they shouldn't. But to the teams credit they rallied and I will give them that they seem potentially mentally tougher then previous groups. That still doesn't erase the holes they have though.

I'm over Thursday I still think they have a decent shot for the playoffs but I could also see them going to 8-8 or the dreaded 7-9. The only way any Bills fan starts overlooking disasters like Thursday is this team wins the next two and gets to 7-3 which we haven't been since 2000 or earlier. If that happens heck then maybe they could be NE at home. Personally I think they go 1-3 in this stretch but its enough so at 6-6 they have a real shot at the playoffs. Given my expectations for the year that would be some real progress.

4 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Everybody should be very concerned and worried going forward.

The Jets, while not terrible, are probably in the same boat as the Bengals (scrappy but not .500 or playoff team in the end) who also beat the Bills despite 3 turnovers. And speaking of turnovers, I've said all along that this team isn't going to be able to sustain that pace and without any turnovers we were soundly beat.

I'm petrified about the Saints game for a number of reasons mostly because they aren't close to the caliber of any of the teams we've played this season, home or on the road. This sunday very well may dictate where the rest of the season is heading.

Well then it's time to see what kind of team we have right? Me personally, i think I needed to see a couple press conferences to feel a little better going into the next game and I was right. Watching the pressers today made me feel a little better.

Now, am I saying we're going to win? No. I've never been the type a person to just hand out victories to teams. Not even when we play the Pats. I never just chalk it up as a loss. The Pats have to earn their victories (by way of referee help at times but we not gonna get into that).

When I watched the press conferences I wanted to see the coach's reaction on Monday and he looked good. He wasn't too bent up about it and has moved his focus to the Saints.

The ONLY advantage we have at this point for me personally is,  we play at home. As far as how they will perform? That's a wait and see to have a look at what kind of team we have.

Edited by HuSeYiN_NYC

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

If the Bills are 8-7 going in, it won't be meaningless because a 9-7 team should get in. The AFC is very lopsided this year. The top is good, but the rest of it is quite poor. If Miami is out of it (and I expect they will be in week 17), that's obviously good for the Bills. 

Still think the Dolphins will either have a playoff spot clinched in week 17 and will be resting starters or will in fact need the game against us to get in and possibly eliminate the Bills in one fell swoop.

Quite frankly I dread both scenarios because it could possibly be 2004 all over again if the Dolphins backups beat us and prevent us from the playoffs OR they simply beat us head to head in a 'win and get in' playoff game.

Either way I get the feeling we'll be looking back specifically at games like the Bengals and say 'How could we not beat that team' as one of the reasons we'll miss the playoffs for the 18th straight season.

The Thursday night loss was not indicative of who this team has been for most of the season. From the get-go the entire team just looked tired. It throws off their entire schedule, it throws off how they practice, they have question marks on who can/should practice, every player at this point in the season is hurting in some form and they weren't able to rest/rehab as they normally would. This isn't an excuse but an explanation. And then throw in the travel on top of that and the fact that it was on the national stage right as a lot of people started buying in and calling them a playoff team, it makes the loss sting that much more. The minute people are saying, "This Bills team is for real" is the minute they have their worst game of the season. They were just sluggish and got out-played. With 10 days to rest and prepare they'll hopefully get back into form and play a better game against the Saints. The hope is that they can go 5-3 on both halves of the season to finish at 10-6. Unless the injury bug comes through and decimates the roster, I don't think we should expect the "same ol' Bills" implosion and see them go 2-6 over these next eight games. They're under much better leadership than previous seasons and I think the team just has too much heart to let the Jets loss get in their heads and revert them back to a mindset of "Oh man, here we go again, let's just mail it in and hope we escape each game healthy." McDermott has higher expectations than that and I think his players wanna do all they can to live up to his expectations as well as their own.

Edited by blacklabel

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

The Thursday night loss was not indicative of who this team has been for most of the season. From the get-go the entire team just looked tired. It throws off their entire schedule, it throws off how they practice, they have question marks on who can/should practice, every player at this point in the season is hurting in some form and they weren't able to rest/rehab as they normally would. This isn't an excuse but an explanation. And then throw in the travel on top of that and the fact that it was on the national stage right as a lot of people started buying in and calling them a playoff team, it makes the loss sting that much more. The minute people are saying, "This Bills team is for real" is the minute they have their worst game of the season. They were just sluggish and got out-played. With 10 days to rest and prepare they'll hopefully get back into form and play a better game against the Saints. The hope is that they can go 5-3 on both halves of the season to finish at 10-6. Unless the injury bug comes through and decimates the roster, I don't think we should expect the "same ol' Bills" implosion and see them go 2-6 over these next eight games. They're under much better leadership than previous seasons and I think the team just has too much heart to let the Jets loss get in their heads and revert them back to a mindset of "Oh man, here we go again, let's just mail it in and hope we escape each game healthy." McDermott has higher expectations than that and I think his players wanna do all they can to live up to his expectations as well as their own.

I was trying to get at this earlier in the thread as well. Yea, most teams have a short week for TNF, but the fact is, we do not have the talent to overcome that. We depend on practice, scheme, and being in the right place to create opportunities. The short week hurt us, I believe, more than it does some other teams with players that can take over and just dominate.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a very strong team, but it's not as dependent on top 10 talent type players as it is on coaching and preparation.

21 minutes ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

I was trying to get at this earlier in the thread as well. Yea, most teams have a short week for TNF, but the fact is, we do not have the talent to overcome that. We depend on practice, scheme, and being in the right place to create opportunities. The short week hurt us, I believe, more than it does some other teams with players that can take over and just dominate.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a very strong team, but it's not as dependent on top 10 talent type players as it is on coaching and preparation.

Here's the problem with this excuse regarding not having the talent to overcome the preparation for a TNF, if a team like the Jets who probably equal or worse than Buffalo in terms of talent, what should that say about this team especially since we didn't just lose but got throttled?

An astute fan would say to himself/herself that yes this team is not for real and is about to get destroyed by much better teams like the Saints even with 10 days to prepare.

16 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Here's the problem with this excuse regarding not having the talent to overcome the preparation for a TNF, if a team like the Jets who probably equal or worse than Buffalo in terms of talent, what should that say about this team especially since we didn't just lose but got throttled?

An astute fan would say to himself/herself that yes this team is not for real and is about to get destroyed by much better teams like the Saints even with 10 days to prepare.

Fair point, but I disagree about the Saints game. I did not feel good about the Jets game. We did not play them well the first time this year, I was not expecting much different on Thursday night, and games in the division are always tough. When looking at the schedule when we were sitting there at 5-2, that was honestly the game that had me the most nervous.

However, I expect us to beat the Saints this Sunday. Luckily, we only have about 6 days until we find out if that expectation is correct or not.

5 minutes ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

Fair point, but I disagree about the Saints game. I did not feel good about the Jets game. We did not play them well the first time this year, I was not expecting much different on Thursday night, and games in the division are always tough. When looking at the schedule when we were sitting there at 5-2, that was honestly the game that had me the most nervous.

However, I expect us to beat the Saints this Sunday. Luckily, we only have about 6 days until we find out if that expectation is correct or not.

I hope I'm wrong as well but don't see it happening.

Another stat I just posted in a different thread that isn't working in our favor is that the Saints are only the 3rd team in NFL history to start 0-2 and then win the next 6 or more straight. The other two went on to win the SB (93 Cowboys, 07 Giants).

25 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I hope I'm wrong as well but don't see it happening.

Another stat I just posted in a different thread that isn't working in our favor is that the Saints are only the 3rd team in NFL history to start 0-2 and then win the next 6 or more straight. The other two went on to win the SB (93 Cowboys, 07 Giants).

I knew the Giants one, but wasn't aware of the Cowboys. Interesting stuff.

Fun fact, after the Giants won 6 straight they lost to the Cowboys to fall to 6-3.

On 11/5/2017 at 7:40 PM, Elite Poster said:

Look at who we face in the next four games. 

IF we win two of the next four, we will be in good shape for the final four games.  Good teams have to start putting away opponents irrespective of their rankings.  That is always the hallmark of the playoff teams.