"Patriot Way": Officiating Catalog

Just now, Chris66 said:

He had already established himself as a runner. 2 feet touched down.

Ok, sure.  In which case Kelvin Benjamin should have had a TD, as well as Jesse James of Pittsburgh.

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Ok, sure.  In which case Kelvin Benjamin should have had a TD, as well as Jesse James of Pittsburgh.

No. Im sorry you dont understand what a catch is. Neither the James or Benjamin were catches. James didnt maintain possession. Benjamin didnt get both feet in bounds. Pretty straight forward.

The only call they messed up was the Jenkins td. Jets should have maintained possession.

1 minute ago, Chris66 said:

No. Im sorry you dont understand what a catch is. Neither the James or Benjamin were catches. James didnt maintain possession. Benjamin didnt get both feet in bounds. Pretty straight forward.

The only call they messed up was the Jenkins td. Jets should have maintained possession.

I see.  So a catch is whatever the Patsies and their 'fans' think it should or should not be.  That's the way it has been going.

KB catch was not a catch...right.  Pretty powerful glue you got for Christmas; ease up on it and save some for the playoffs.

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I see.  So a catch is whatever the Patsies and their 'fans' think it should or should not be.  That's the way it has been going.

KB catch was not a catch...right.  Pretty powerful glue you got for Christmas; ease up on it and save some for the playoffs.

Whether you agree or not doesnt change the fact it was the correct call.

In fairness you can't expect Patriots fans to understand football, for the most part they're just repurposed baseball and basketball fans. You add something as complicated as a 'catch' and 'indisputable evidence' into the replay mix and it's no wonder they're on a Bills messageboard trying to learn a bit about the rules. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

In fairness you can't expect Patriots fans to understand football, for the most part they're just repurposed baseball and basketball fans. You add something as complicated as a 'catch' and 'indisputable evidence' into the replay mix and it's no wonder they're on a Bills messageboard trying to learn a bit about the rules. 

Pats fans understand the rules just fine. It seems Bills fans are having a hard time understanding them.

CBS did a frame by frame during the review. Whem Benjamin finally had possession his left foot was off the ground and never came back in bounds. No catch thats rules.

1 minute ago, Chris66 said:

Pats fans understand the rules just fine. It seems Bills fans are having a hard time understanding them.

CBS did a frame by frame during the review. Whem Benjamin finally had possession his left foot was off the ground and never came back in bounds. No catch thats rules.

capture_20171224_133218.jpg?w=1000&h=600

2 hours ago, Chris66 said:

He had already established himself as a runner. 2 feet touched down.

He can't become a runner when already in the end zone.

If cooks is a catch then James' should have been a catch as well because he at least made a football move (diving for the goal line) when the ball moved and he maintained possession.

Cooks did not make a football move, Riveron refers to it as a "common act" like stepping, running or walking after completing the catch.  The ball then moved while in his possession (same as James's) but was called a completed catch while he was out of bounds once the play was over.

Edited by The Wiz

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

If cooks is a catch then James' should have been a catch as well because he at least made a football move (diving for the goal line) when the ball came loose.

He doesn't realize you don't qualify for the runner clause when you're going OOB. Take it slow.

11 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

If cooks is a catch then James' should have been a catch as well because he at least made a football move (diving for the goal line) when the ball moved and he maintained possession.

Cooks did not make a football move, Riveron refers to it as a "common act" like stepping, running or walking after completing the catch.  The ball then moved while in his possession (same as James's) but was called a completed catch while he was out of bounds once the play was over.

There is no football move anymore. Its either you have established yourself as a runner ot you've completed the catch to the ground. Black and white. James lost possession before he completed the catch. Incomplete.

My guess with Cooks is he caught it with both feet in bounds then went out of bounds. Looked like Santonio Holmes Superbowl catch ahainst the Cardinals.

Edited by Chris66

16 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

There is no football move anymore. Its either you have established yourself as a runner ot you've completed the catch to the ground. Black and white. James lost possession before he completed the catch. Incomplete.

My guess with Cooks is he caught it with both feet in bounds then went out of bounds. Looked like 

Well then Riveron better read the rule book on "what is a catch" again.

"He's established possession,” NFL head of officiated Al Riveron told SB Nation on Monday. “While he has possession, he has two feet down. The last part is, is he able to perform another common act? In this situation, he must complete that part of it or he’s still going to the ground."

Riveron referenced “common act” because, in the end zone, Cooks can’t necessarily “become a runner.” The better question is to ask, did he walk away from the toe-tap? Clearly not.

Since Cooks didn’t complete a common act like running, walking or stepping, he then had to hang onto the ball throughout his fall. And no, a “hop” is not considered an act common to the game.

So either, you're wrong about what a catch is which disproves your statement that pats fans know what a catch is or (and this is probably worse) the VP of officiating doesn't know the rules/how to do his own job.

Edited by The Wiz

17 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

My guess with Cooks is he caught it with both feet in bounds then went out of bounds. Looked like Santonio Holmes Superbowl catch ahainst the Cardinals.

You’re contradicting yourself and your bias is showing. So you, “guess,” now??! Just stop. 

3 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

My guess is because he has control the ball hits the ground but doesnt move. The official is right there watching the entire play.

So the ball was in his chest, then in his stomach without his arm moving or around it but it didn't move.  Gotcha.

8 minutes ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

You’re contradicting yourself and your bias is showing. So you, “guess,” now??! Just stop. 

Im not an official. I can guess.my opinion doesnt matter in the long run. The Cooks catch is a tough one.

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

So the ball was in his chest, then in his stomach without his arm moving or around it but it didn't move.  Gotcha.

Tough to see on a small screen, but it looks like his left hand and arm stay under the ball. 

Edited by Chris66

2 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Im not an official. I can guess.my opinion doesnt matter in the long run. The Cooks catch is a tough one.

Tough to see on a small screen, but it looks like his left hand and arm stay under the ball.

His left hand and arm are extended breaking his fall.

5 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

His left hand and arm are extended breaking his fall.

Like I said small screen.. right hand and arm then. Still a lot different than James or Benjamins non catch.

Benjamins I would have let stand just cause it was so close. That call reminded me of when they reverse a goal because a skate was above the blue line.

Edited by Chris66