PFF 2017 QB rankings - Taylor # 7!

JerseyBills

I don't think tyrods play has swung near as high and low as some here do... across 3 years I think most of his strengths remain stead, and his flaws pretty consistent when you step away from stats and look at skills on the field.

He's a good player, but not a great player. If you chunk out the rankings into quarters (1-8, 9-16, 17-24, 25-32) I think most of the debate would be simply to put him slightly below or above average.

Most years he's scored out above average... in part because he's stayed much healthier than I expected. Kudos to the guy, whether you put him at 13 or 19. At that point I think the rankings fall back to whatever version of the Nfl you enjoy the most

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're both vastly overrating the talent difference between last year and this year. Are we supposed to be weeping the departures of Justin Hunter and Marquise Goodwin?

Considering that next to Sammy, Goodwin might've been the WR Taylor trusted the most, especially on deep balls, yes.

and there's also Robert Woods and Sammy Watkins.

Hell, last week showed you what QB & WR chemistry means to a passing game. Hopefully Taylor and Thompson can continue developing their chemistry

That's a really poor way of judging whether a QB has improved or not.

Really?

I think he has less to go than you think. Neither of those guys are great QBs, on the whole.

Before this year tons and tons of posters pretty consistently made the Alex Smith comparisons, actually.

Of course, we're just being victims of the moment and seeing what Alex Smith has done for 7 games in 2017 rather than the prior 11 years he had in the NFL as a starting QB.

so it seems you admit that putting him in the same sentance is slightly premature.

when i see Tyrod scan the entire field repeatedly and look off the safties on a regular basis, you *might have a case. until then, sorry. as it is, he stares down his receivers way too hard for it to even be anything close to a comparision at this point.

Edited by Foxx

First of all arm strength is not adequately measured by mph at combine. There are endless examples of that. In 2012 Cousins had 4 mph higher than Russell Wilson. Cousins has an average arm at best. Wilson has a cannon.

One year Mike Glennon had the worst. One of the only things he has is a strong arm.

Dalton and Cam Newton tied one year. That's not even close.

Second, while Taylor had a 50, Peterson had a 49.

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2017/03/16/quarterback-ball-velocity-at-nfl-combine-2008-2015/

Those numbers were updated by ourlads. They have the true numbers in the player profile. People judge cannon by QB's they like and weak to those they don't. Cousins has a very strong arm, probably the same as Wilson and he probably throws a better deep ball than Wilson. Glennon does have a weak arm. A weak arm and he can't read defenses. And MPH one of many measurements used to determine if a QB can get the ball to a set place in the shortest amount of time.

whhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!

Dude, you can see very easily that Peterman's passes lack the velocity Taylor's passes have.

I don't see that at all. People are judging it based on reports. When I watched him his arm was stronger than Tyrod on out routes and through tight windows over the middle.

Good idea. It's healthy to just ignore any dissenting opinion from yours.

Do as you choose. My opinion at least has stats and analytics attached to it. Not just some hate filled post claiming Taylor is a garbage QB with no upside, backed by nothing. Claiming Peterman,a rookie QB , who has no regular season playing experience will magically outperform Tyrod.

6 passes out of how many? Anyone could find 6 that were terrible.

Look, I like TR. hope he does great and is our QB a long time. I think Peterman will displace him but we'll see. But you're carrying on with the same nonsense you did on the BBMB. Cherry picking data, incessantly arguing for Taylor etc, etc, etc. acecept that others can have different opinions for once.

Look, I like TR. hope he does great and is our QB a long time. I think Peterman will displace him but we'll see. But you're carrying on with the same nonsense you did on the BBMB. Cherry picking data, incessantly arguing for Taylor etc, etc, etc. acecept that others can have different opinions for once.

it wasn't 6. 2 and 4 are of the same play, different perspectives.

other than that, not sure what trans is trying to say with these videos either.

He finished 2016 ranked 19th in Football Outsider's DYAR. That's the rank he is today.

So...no he hasn't improved. At least not yet.

As Transplant said

7th with PFF

7th in NFL.com's "QB Index"

7th in BR's Doug Farrar's NFL 1000 weekly rankings

So basically F.O is the only valid opinion? Is that what you're saying?

Just skip his weekly Tyrod thread -

Well, at least I know you didn't bother clicking the links and looking at the passes since there aren't 6 passes there 0:)

Here's a nice breakdown of one of Taylor's throws

http://www.cover1.net/filmroom-breakdown-week-7/

There are a bunch of things I love about this play. Let’s first talk about the great timing and placement of this pass. This is a very tight window, especially for a guy who hasn’t shown the ability to pull the trigger on a lot of throws like this. Taylor does an excellent job identifying the rotating safety. Pre-snap, Tampa Bay was showing a 2-high safety, cover 4 look, but right at the snap of the ball the safety on the left hash squats, while his counterpart bails for his deep middle responsibility.

The read on this play actually becomes the middle linebacker Kwon Alexander, who you can clearly see Taylor immediately look to at the snap. Jones preoccupies Alexander just long enough to open up that window. Brent Grimes makes a really nice play on the ball; you can tell he had his eyes in the backfield the entire play. So, considering he [Taylor] made a great read and threw a perfect ball that escaped a corner ditching his zone to make an aggressive play on the ball having read Taylor the whole way, this is terrific execution.

Taylor really does make this play look easy, but there is so much to like about his ability to read and diagnose the coverage, finding his read key, and throwing accurately to a brief window in the secondary. These are the sorts of plays Taylor will need to continue making to keep this offense trending upward, but this has to give you hope that there might be some passing ability in there that Rick Dennison is tapping into.

There are a bunch of things I love about this play. Lets first talk about the great timing and placement of this pass. This is a very tight window, especially for a guy who hasnt shown the ability to pull the trigger on a lot of throws like this. Taylor does an excellent job identifying the rotating safety. Pre-snap, Tampa Bay was showing a 2-high safety, cover 4 look, but right at the snap of the ball the safety on the left hash squats, while his counterpart bails for his deep middle responsibility.

The read on this play actually becomes the middle linebacker Kwon Alexander, who you can clearly see Taylor immediately look to at the snap. Jones preoccupies Alexander just long enough to open up that window. Brent Grimes makes a really nice play on the ball; you can tell he had his eyes in the backfield the entire play. So, considering he [Taylor] made a great read and threw a perfect ball that escaped a corner ditching his zone to make an aggressive play on the ball having read Taylor the whole way, this is terrific execution.

Taylor really does make this play look easy, but there is so much to like about his ability to read and diagnose the coverage, finding his read key, and throwing accurately to a brief window in the secondary. These are the sorts of plays Taylor will need to continue making to keep this offense trending upward, but this has to give you hope that there might be some passing ability in there that Rick Dennison is tapping into.

Great play by him. Statistically it is a sample size of N = 1. Which is meaningless.

If someone else posted a breakdown of one bad play by TT you'd argue it doesn't mean anything. And you'd be right.

There are a bunch of things I love about this play. Let’s first talk about the great timing and placement of this pass. This is a very tight window, especially for a guy who hasn’t shown the ability to pull the trigger on a lot of throws like this. Taylor does an excellent job identifying the rotating safety. Pre-snap, Tampa Bay was showing a 2-high safety, cover 4 look, but right at the snap of the ball the safety on the left hash squats, while his counterpart bails for his deep middle responsibility.

im trying to figure out if your advocating for Tyrod or against him with this quote.

Lol!

too f'in funny......

You listed 6 twitters. If some were of the same pass it makes your argument even weaker.

How would you know if you don't even know what they are?

I'll say this, you (and others) may not appreciate my consistent posting about Taylor, but when I have a conversation with someone, I'll actually read everything they say and click on links if there are any before I counter any of their arguments. This was probably just a momentary lapse for you, but it's not a good look.