A few thoughts about the Bucs game, in no particular order

Virgil

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though some of us may disagree in part with what was written, this is always a well thought out, smart thread

that everyone should read for the knowledge, even if we don't agree 100% with the writer. Like it is said, a

difference of opinion is what makes horse races.

Sorry for the lateness everyone, but I attended the game in person and had a lot of driving to do afterwards. That, plus an early flight to a work function in Orlando, and I'm beat. Being at the game provided me with a much different perspective on a bunch of things and I'm sorry to say that these thoughts might be a bit more negative than I try to be. I know that a win is a win and that this was only one game, but I'm still trying to figure out who we are as a team, coaching staff, and everything else right now; so it's hard to not try to evaluate as part of the big picture.

1 - Defensive Line - It was halfway through the 3rd quarter and my seats were right on the line of scrimmage. I was frustrated all day by how little pass rush we were able to generate and rarely sent more than our front 4. In this moment, I looked across the field and saw Dareus, Kyle, and Shaq all standing on the sidelines beside each other. In that moment, I was beside myself with anger. While I understand about keeping guys fresh and rotating guys based upon situation, there is absolutely no excuse to have 3 of our top 4 player on the sideline at one time. This is probably the one thing about the new regime that I'm not a fan of. Buy-in to your system or not, these guys have proven themselves as a talent and it can't just be your way or the highway. Maybe you need to bend a little and be a coach to your players to see what motivates them. Professionals or not, that end result just shouldn't happen.

10 - Tyrod - This is going to be hard for me to say, but I think I'm finally ready to say that I'm ready to move on from Tyrod as our quarterback of the future. I know this is probably a weird week to say this, with a comeback win, most passing yards, and a couple of deep throws. But being at the game really showed me some things about Tyrod that I can't see on TV. Tyrod is very late on his throws, and I mean LATE. In the first quarter alone, there were a few quite a few plays where, if he threw it before their break, the WR would have an easy reception. But Tyrod had to let the play develop before making the throw, and subsequently, let the coverage back break on it too. Right after the first fumble recovery, Tyrod had Zay deep on twice in one play, but just didn't pull the trigger. He wasn't wide open, but it was a ball that absolutely should've been thrown. And yes, Zay was the only WR he was looking at. There's no excuse for that ball to not be thrown while making other endzone throws later that had no chance of being called. On the drive with the missed field goal, he also had a clear first down if he had only walked forward the 5 yards, but threw a crap pass to the endzone. For a guy who likes to run, I was really surprised he didn't.

Granted, there were some great plays where he moved around in the pocket to extend a play and a few escapes for first downs. However, on those plays, I think another quarterback gets the ball out quicker and doesn't need to escape. I agree with the assessment that Tyrod needs WR's to be "college open." Watching the plays develop as slowly as they did, I have to believe other qb's take better advantage of this offense. TT will get the job done, but I now believe he caps this offense.

Bonus - New Deep Ball Method - On many of our deep plays, we seemed to run delayed deep routes. One WR runs a streak to pull the safey with him, then another one runs a delayed streak behind him, usually forcing a LB to cover him. It worked on the final deep ball and I saw them run it a few times. It was an interesting play to watch, but takes some time to develop.

Overall, I apologize for the negative tone as a win is a win. 4-2 feels good. 6-2 will feel a lot better. I think these next two weeks are crucial being at home and against a division opponent. Even in the chaos of some really bad football, teams are starting to turn it on and the Pats are still 5-2. It's still early, but ever win matters. Here's hoping our defense calms down before Oakland and the offense keeps this going.

Go Bills!

Two comments about this.

First, I noticed the same thing about the d line, but I think you misunderstand why it's done that way. The d line works as a team, they make moves off each other. Substituting one guy tends to disrupt the coordination and teamwork. So in essence there's a first unit and a second unit. Substitution is done by unit. I don't think Rex did it that way - he subbed in players. But different coaches have different philosophies. McD knows what he's doing.

Second, you can complain all you want about things Tyrod did wrong, but when his passer rating is over 95, it means he's doing more things right than most of the starters in the league. Hard to argue with that kind of performance.

Two comments about this.

First, I noticed the same thing about the d line, but I think you misunderstand why it's done that way. The d line works as a team, they make moves off each other. Substituting one guy tends to disrupt the coordination and teamwork. So in essence there's a first unit and a second unit. Substitution is done by unit. I don't think Rex did it that way - he subbed in players. But different coaches have different philosophies. McD knows what he's doing.

Second, you can complain all you want about things Tyrod did wrong, but when his passer rating is over 95, it means he's doing more things right than most of the starters in the league. Hard to argue with that kind of performance.

Agreed, I watched football all day Sunday. I did not go to he game. I have Sunday ticket & have three TVs in my basement so I had a few different games on behind the bar. There is some bad QB play out there. Tyrod is not elite, but he is not far off. IMO, he had one of the better performances for QB's in the league Sunday.

1) If the Bills hope to play in January (and win) these guys can't be spent the rotation works.

Agreed, with 10 games to go we need to have our guys in the trenches healthy and ready in December, Hopefully, they will be able to bring more pressure up front at some point along the way. Then hopefully we can talk January :mellow: