My 2017 1st Quarter QB Rankings

Seeing this with Wentz as well. They went out and surrounded their young guys with some talent.

Both the Eagles and Rams gave up a lot of draft picks to acquire their respective franchise qb. It makes little sense to me to give up so much and not do everything you can to place their large investment in a position to succeed. David Carr, a high draft pick with Houston, joined a team where he was brutalized because his OL was unable to protect him. He never recovered from that trauma and his career to be kind was lackluster.

Completion % (13th), YPA (9th), TD % (14th), INT % (1st), QB rating (8th), QBR (9th).

Pretty much every efficiency stat he is in the top 15 it is the volume stats he struggles on. When adjusted for his attempts his numbers look very good.

First Down %, per NFL Stats : 10th (Ahead of Drew Brees).

it's still early .... maybe he's got it, maybe it's an oddity.

Colts, Skins, 49ers, Boys. Looks like 2-2 to me with a gift wrap.

October is here and the Average PPG scored will start to lower.

There are no guarantees of success, especially for qbs. But the progression from Goff's first year is very evident. He has a good arm, is accurate and he is mobile. Having a HC like McVay who is known for his ability to work with qbs is an asset that increases the qb's chances for success. As with Buffalo coaching matters.

note: I was remiss in not crediting HokieDokie for the terrific work in putting together that table.

Edited by JohnC

There are no guarantees of success, especially for qbs. But the progression from Goff's first year is very evident. He has a good arm, is accurate and he is mobile. Having a HC like McVay who is known for his ability to work with qbs is an asset that increases the qb's chances for success. As with Buffalo coaching matters.

it is quite impressive.

Ryan

Marrone

Gailey

Juaron

Mularkey

Gregggg Williams

coaching matters

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Completion % (13th), YPA (9th), TD % (14th), INT % (1st), QB rating (8th), QBR (9th).

Pretty much every efficiency stat he is in the top 15 it is the volume stats he struggles on. When adjusted for his attempts his numbers look very good.

I don't think Taylor can be first in INT%. The other metrics you've listed put him pretty firmly on the top 12-15 QBs as far are pure efficiency goes, I agree. But I don't think you can simply throw out the fact that he's asked to do a lot less than other quarterbacks who are slightly less efficient but charged with a larger share of the offensive burden. That's why I pretty much agree with the list as complied right now. And I take QB rating and QBR with enormous grains of salt.

Winning?

Not really a QB stat.

What would you say Taylor is doing that's top 15 in the league, efficiency-wise?

Being a QB.

That's your opinion. For now I like my formula. We'll see how the rest of the year plays out. I'll be making an update after week 9.

Yes. It's my opinion. Great work. Don't mean to imply this isn't really interesting. I just think Taylor is pretty obviously better than the 23rd best QB in the NFL right now.

TO% and TD/TO Ratio are both top shelf. But for him to pull his rating up he'll need to score more.

But he's not being asked to score more. In fact, he really isn't even passing the ball very much at all when the team is ahead. I guess that's my only question if you're using the word "rankings," I feel like it should consider how the QBs perform when they are called upon.

Again, that's all just my opinion.

The Bills have actually been ahead the majority of the time this year, and on the year, when the Bills have been either trailing or tied with the opposition, Taylor has thrown 74% of his passes (at a 69% completion %) for 77% of his yards and 80% of his TDs.

When the team has been behind, he has a 114.2 Passer Rating, which is 3rd best in the NFL.

So, when called upon, he's performed.

Edited by transplantbillsfan