New power saving compact fluorescent (CFL) light bulbs

Punching Bag

The new CFL light bulbs are supposed to last a lot longer for the higher price they charge which was suppose to be offsetted by bulb light duration. We bought a box of 6 less than a year ago and two of them are already broken. Each time it seems to have occurred after a minor power flux (one was enough to disrupt clocks, other would be treated as a brown out). Only the new light bulbs have been affected. There are still lamps in house which have the old bulbs from more than 2 years ago which are still working.

Is the issue the new light bulbs or is it old lamps are not optimized for the new bulbs?

The garbage can?

They contain Hg, you "should" separate your "Al Gore Bulbs"... & hopefully they get recycled. But I don't give a damn. Throw them where you want.

Always unintended consequences with the enviro nuts. Probably creating a bigger footprint with these things than using an incandescent lamp. Probably made along with the LEDs in some schit hole in China anyway.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

They contain Hg, you "should" separate your "Al Gore Bulbs"... & hopefully they get recycled. But I don't give a damn. Throw them where you want.

Always unintended consequences with the enviro nuts. Probably creating a bigger footprint with these things than using an incandescent lamp. Probably made along with the LEDs in some schit hole in China anyway.

1wekcm.jpg

I moved into a new construction house in June of 2015, so every single bulb was new (or at least they were supposed to be). So far only three bulbs in the entire house have died and all three were one of the few non-CFLs in the house. Strangely enough, the first one to die happened the day after we moved in. The last two were in the past month or so, candelabra bulbs in a ceiling fan.

I moved into a new construction house in June of 2015, so every single bulb was new (or at least they were supposed to be). So far only three bulbs in the entire house have died and all three were one of the few non-CFLs in the house. Strangely enough, the first one to die happened the day after we moved in. The last two were in the past month or so, candelabra bulbs in a ceiling fan.

I have incandescent lamps going on 10-15 years. Bought house new in 1996 and put a dimmer switch on every switch.

LoL... Not the only thing that is dim in that house.

Oh... Not turning them on helps too. :-)

Yes... Even dim the bathrooms. Ha! Don't the board to confirm my strangeness.

What's the advantage of CFLs vs LEDs? Where they're made? Certainly not power efficiency or lifespan.

LEDs aren't cheap, but if you want a bulb to survive the rigors of a garage door opener or it's in a difficult to reach spot (i.e ceiling above staircase) they're hard to beat.

I'm not a light bulb expert, but I'd assume the CFLs of whatever generation can be affected greatly by power fluctuation due to the ballast required to excite the gases.

I know some people don't like the LED color spectrum. I find it preferable, and closer to sunlight. I've grown to dislike the "warm"/yellow tint of incandescent.

I throw mine in by the lock to kill the Asian carp who are sneaking over during Oprah.

You are probably killing the other fish. Mercury settles in the fat of other fish who eat other fish. Ie: salmon. Asian Carp don't eat other fish, they filter feed from the top of the water column. So, in effect, you are doing the exact opposite of what you intend to do by throwing your CFLs into the river. You are actually helping the Asian carp more than Oprah is.

Anyway, LoL no need to sneak over, just ring the boat signal. I will let them through.

You make it way too hard. And if the Asian carp were smart, they would just go through the dam. We have it open 1 foot right now. 1 foot of opening on dam oxygenates the water and helps them swim better. Why do you think the water is so clean now... We've been flushing and oxygenating it for years.

Kinda looks like this:

salmon-swimming-up-waterfall-to-spawning

Edited by ExiledInIllinois