Where I'm at after week two:

I'm ok with this, all of this. Losses, even ones as painful as this one, are what this team needs THIS YEAR. We have to lose. The more we lose, the less draft capital we have to spend to FINALLY get an actual quarterback to replace our glorified RB. And it is time. I know people don't like the idea. I know it goes against the grain of how some around here think. But this is OK. And I think if some people here (and you know who you are) could take a step back and look at what's going on there's lots to actually be EXCITED about in losing this year.

This front office and coaching staff has a plan. You may not like it, but they do have a plan and they're taking the steps to execute it. I firmly believe they looked at the team as it was constituted when they walked through the front door and they saw what anyone with common sense knew. That is to say that:

1. This team, especially on offense, had maybe two viable weapons at best and a QB who couldn't utilize them due to a complete and utter lack of the skills needed by an NFL QB.
  2. This team, on defense, had a good deal of talent but lacked a coherent scheme.
  3. This team's schedule was incredibly unfavorable THIS YEAR.

I also believe that knowing all that, they made value judgements. When they did, they figured the easier task was to stabilize the defense first and work on the offense next year. I also think they know this is a 5 win at best team. And I'm pretty sure they understand that Tyrod gives the team the best chance of reaching that goal. Let's hope they get below that number for the sake of the team's future. GO BILLS.

Edited by joesixpack

Excellent points. I agree 100%. I am certain that they have two objectives in mind: (1) rebuild the team, (2) remain minimally competitive while doing so. And the way that they have decided to accomplish these two apparently conflicting objectives is to field a competitive defense this year while sacrificing parts on offense--all in the hopes of drafting a stud QB next year.

Let's face it: it has been said a million times by us, but it bears remembering: if the Bills want to become a winning team year in and year out, they need the QB to do so. The GM knows this, and the coach knows this. This is their shot to build a legacy for themselves.

It will be a painful year.

The only parts I agree with is that we need more playmakers & if we lose 12 games or so, we won't have to use all of our assets to move up. We'll already be high enough.

Losing to Carolina on the road with a chance to win it on the final play encourages me. WRs not getting open does not. Wait for the all22, you'll see we need playmakers.

Getting rid of Sammy for a pick and a solid corner was a smart play. We weren't signing him and who knows if he'll ever put up 1,000 yds again.

Btw, what divisions do we play next year? AFC South? NFC Central?

Edited by r00tabaga

I agree, OP. My concern is whether or not whoever we select/steal at QB will be another Losman, EJ or worse, Ryan Leaf. We're experts in knowing that rolling snake eyes on this crapshoot can cost decades of futility..

As you totally know, the rookie cap makes drafting a Jamarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf less of a franchise killer than it used to be. They have to keep trying until they click and I hope they use some picks on blockers to protect their young qb. Incog is old, Mills sucks, Glenn isn't healthy, etc.

Edited by Bill from NYC

I don't disagree with any of that JSP. I'm also wondering at what point we find out if Peterman is a viable backup. Taylor isn't signing here as a backup so I'm thinking they wait 6-8 games into the season to give the reigns to Peterman to see what he looks like.

yep. at some point, like week 8 at home against the Raiders, or hosting the Saints, but no later than the Colts Dec 10th.

Gotta give the kid a shot this season. Meanwhile Dennison needs to stop channeling Nate Hackett and realize Tyrod's game is scrambling and long balls, not pocket passing and small stuff.

I don't disagree with any of that JSP. I'm also wondering at what point we find out if Peterman is a viable backup. Taylor isn't signing here as a backup so I'm thinking they wait 6-8 games into the season to give the reigns to Peterman to see what he looks like.

I'd say it'll happen as soon as week 5.