Article: "If the Bills Aren't Tanking, What Are They Doing?&#3

Guest NeckBeard

I don't disagree with this. Every new GM comes in and says he's going to make changes. Every new coach does, too. They wouldn't have been hired if they intended to do the same thing the old guys did. But that doesn't mean they're going to rebuild. Gailey came in and made changes. Marrone did, Rex did. But none of those were considered rebuilds.

A rebuild is, I believe, when you start with a new core. Just as you described - rip out the old thing because it wasn't working and replace it. But that isn't what's happened here so far. They kept the entire offensive and defensive lines, and that's the core of the team. And they kept the QB and the running back.

Frankly, I think all that's really happened is that people have been rankled because Watkins, a potential star, was dealt. That's the only big change. The second thing was Gilmore, but Gilmore wouldn't have hurt so much if he'd gone anyplace but New England.

Other than those two players, this team is going forward with last year's talent. Didn't re-sign a linebacker, but that's the kind of thing that happens every year. Let an old safety go.

This leadership hasn't ripped the team apart in order to start over. This leadership intends to win with the current talent and build from there.

I'm not sure I could name more than 3-4 guys to be a core of a team to rebuild around, whether they are lineman or not; hence, put me in the column for the team being in rebuild mode. Plus, for the first time in a very long time the team is collecting picks for the next draft. I like that philosophy a lot because it could lead to a stable of great, new players, or trading the pick(s) for talented, young players.

In the back of my head, I still believe that McCoy could be gone if this season starts ugly, no matter the incentives he has been given. For example, one thought I've had is that he could end up in Dallas, assuming the Zeke thing gets wilder and worse, and that JJ is willing to expend draft capital to make another run now. TT is here for the year, even if he gets supplanted.

I know you have cited past regimes as to having made a pitch to (past) ownership about new schemes, and having set markers for success. It's different this time for a few reasons. Ownership inherited Whaley and whiffed on Rex (and then his brother) in a big way, and oddly they also didn't replace Whaley at the same time the Ryans had been sent packing. Ownership has been struggling with the Sabres as well, and for similar reasons. This time around the slate is clean, and if ownership has made the right hires then the new model is one that should work.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This.

Self inflicted holes that I'm sure they will blame on Whaley when the team blows this year.

Whaley traded Watkins?

No but he drafted EJ and traded up (in a WR heavy draft) to obtain Watkins who has been hurt a lot.

Also, keeping Watkins would've been very difficult for a team whose cap is bloated (because of Whaley) at the top.

Yes, the OP is correct, the last regime created this hole and left very little to build around on offense.