RODAK: Watkins Trade Sets Up TT To Fail

...if this is not a consensus building organization with everyone essentially on the same page (NEVER will be 100% agreement with ANY NFL club), we'll be talking about YEAR 27 of futility shortly.....no way in hell I serve as your HC if I have NO input as to who I am coaching between the stripes......Donohole's ego tried that with Greggy and it worked wonders (COUGH)...our subordinating 900 grand/yr HC leader.....

It seemed obvious McD didn't see this coming.

Let me ask you this OldTimer, If upper management came to you and said we can do this your way or my way, but If we do it your way (win now) If it fails you guys(McD/Beane) take responsibility. What do you do?

Marrone was pressured the same way IMO.

Edited by Figster

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I don't think it is setting him up for failure as much as it is setting him up to prove himself without his go to WR. If he is really "set up to fail" because of one player than he isn't the franchise QB we are looking for anyway.

And what was Sammy's great contribution last year, 430 yards and 2 Tds, so setting up for failure seems to be an exaggeration to begin with.

/\ + 1

I would add, the Bills has the 31st ranked passing game on the league in 2016 WITH Sammy Watkins, so that's pretty much a failure in mo opinion.

Los Angeles Rams added 2 WR from the Bills in Woods and Watkins: Rams finished 30th in passing yards.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_RECEIVING&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=RECEIVING_YARDS_PER_GAME_AVG&tabSeq=2&season=2016&role=TM&Submit=Go&archive=true&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=false

Taylor didn't have watkins last year. If Matthews is healthy he has a better group then he had last year so again Rodek is wrong

in addition until Taylor uses the entire field it doesn't matter who is recievers are

It's kind of funny. When the Bills signed Boldin a lot of people - reporters and commentators here - said it was a sign the organization wanted to give Taylor a full set of weapons to prove himself one way or another. I saw that thought stated in various ways more than two dozen times. Then days later the team dumps their only Number One receiver and primary deep threat - for a mediocre replacement and a second round pick. Now the Bills have three or four slot receivers and nothing close to a clear First wide-out. The only real question is whether Beane saw this as the unavoidable cost of getting another second round pick, or an advantage in and of itself. Whether he sees it as a feature or a bug. His eyes darted about a bit wild and he got somewhat flustered when asked if the team was tanking. Clearly they aren't, but limited success in 2017 is a plus given the path they've already settled on.

Also : Of course it matters who a quarterback throws to - saying otherwise is flat-out absurd.

Edited by grb

There is absolutely nothing Taylor can do this season short of winning a Super Bowl that would stop the Bills from drafting his replacement. I suspect he'll have a very good year. It's possible the team might even sneak into the wild card. But none of that will matter. When you dump your best receiver and corner for mediocre players and mid-range draft picks, the result has to be a first-rate show on Draft Day. That means quarterback, which means that decision is locked-in. The real question is what happens with Taylor then. He'll still be relatively cheap, particularly given the payout required to void his contract. Beane & McDermott may not want to throw their newly drafted quarterback into the fray immediately since their very careers depend on his success. They might very well keep TT around another year as a dead-man-walking. If that happened, I'd suspect some heads around here would explode......

I think all this is right except the Lombardi trophy part.

I think if the team makes the playoffs and wins at least a game, but probably 2, Taylor sticks.

I'd like to dig a bit deeper into the numbers on this team's wins and losses with and without Sammy. I tend to believe there are some other factors at play that skew that, but that'll have to wait until I get a chance to go through it.

I'd like to read it. It would be a solid and substantive post by you :thumbsup:

Edited by transplantbillsfan

It seemed obvious McD didn't see this coming.

Let me ask you this OldTimer, If upper management came to you and said we can do this your way or my way, but If we do it your way (win now) If it fails you guys take responsibility. What do you do?

Marrone was pressured the same way IMO.

.....honestly, I cannot answer that in my world....I make all of my personnel decisions, none of which are force fed to me......I have a staff of ten and serve on the corporate executive board, so your question would be a new world to me bud....HOWEVER, if the tables were different and executive management came to me and said "here is what YOU get to work with...make it work"..., I'd walk....Tom DonoHOLE's over the top egotistical and control freak style (first "El Presidente" in OBD history) yielded a subordinating cheap HC (900 grand) hire in Greg Williams and Tom fed him HIS personnel choices...an epic failure....NO WAY IN HELL you charge me with the responsibility of what happens between the white stripes if I have ZERO input about who is there.....only a fool would advocate a dictatorial ego fed management style to silver coat one's bawls...I've been in executive management for 41 years and my staff does NOT work for me....they work WITH Me.....and dammit, I have the best people on the planet and we're a happy family propelling our organization to record levels annually...

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

It's kind of funny. When the Bills signed Boldin a lot of people - reporters and commentators here - said it was a sign the organization wanted to give Taylor a full set of weapons to prove himself one way or another. I saw that thought stated in various ways more than two dozen times. Then days later the team dumps their only Number One receiver and primary deep threat - for a mediocre replacement and a second round pick. Now the Bills have three or four slot receivers and nothing close to a clear First wide-out. The only real question is whether Beane saw this as the unavoidable cost of getting another second round pick, or an advantage in and of itself. Whether he sees it as a feature or a bug. His eyes darted about a bit wild and he got somewhat flustered when asked if the team was tanking. Clearly they aren't, but limited success in 2017 is a plus given the path they've already settled on.

Also : Of course it matters who a quarterback throws to - saying otherwise is flat-out absurd.

It does, but our WR core is still better than last year. It's like we took two steps forward and one step back. We're still ahead of where we were. Yeah, it matters who he's throwing too. That's why we now hopefully have three viable weapons as our top three wide receivers (who can stay healthy hopefully) as opposed to what we had last year.

.....honestly, I cannot answer that in my world....I make all of my personnel decisions, none of which are force fed to me......I have a staff of ten and serve on the corporate executive board, so your question would be a new world to me bud....HOWEVER, if the tables were different and executive management came to me and said "here is what YOU get to work with...make it work"..., I'd walk....Tom DonoHOLE's over the top egotistical and control freak style (first "El Presidente" in OBD history) yielded a subordinating cheap HC (900 grand) hire in Greg Williams and Tom fed him HIS personnel choices...an epic failure....NO WAY IN HELL you charge me with the responsibility of what happens between the white stripes if I have ZERO input about who is there.....only a fool would advocate a dictatorial ego fed management style to silver coat one's bawls...I've been in executive management for 41 years and my staff does NOT work for me....they work WITH Me.....and dammit, I have the best people on the planet and we're a happy family propelling our organization to record levels annually...

I know this is a touchy conversation for you my friend...

...thanks for not letting it get personal...

...Marrone did walk...

I know this is a touchy conversation for you my friend...

...thanks for not letting it get personal...

...Marrone did walk...

....touchy?....r u kidding?.....you are EASILY in the TOP FIVE preeminent posters here to confer and/or debate with....I never let football be personal.......debate to and fro makes coming here all worthwhile.....and you're a MAJOR reason why I show up..good show bro.. :thumbsup:

....touchy?....r u kidding?.....you are EASILY in the TOP FIVE preeminent posters here to confer and/or debate with....I never let football be personal.......debate to and fro makes coming here all worthwhile.....and you're a MAJOR reason why I show up..good show bro.. :thumbsup:

Figsters a good guy...In case you were wondering, Bob Matthews has a 6-10 prediction.

wuv u 2 man

I think all this is right except the Lombardi trophy part.

I think if the team makes the playoffs and wins at least a game, but probably 2, Taylor sticks.

Possibly, but simply making it in as a Wild Card doesn't really tell us how Tyrod was for the year. If Tyrod does his thing just managing the game and riding a good defense and great running game then that could get us into playoffs but it wouldn't make me content with Tyrod going forward. I suspect BB and McD are giving Tyrod the chance to prove them wrong but I believe they are getting ready to draft their own guy come April.

It would take a spectacular season for him to change their minds I think.

Possibly, but simply making it in as a Wild Card doesn't really tell us how Tyrod was for the year. If Tyrod does his thing just managing the game and riding a good defense and great running game then that could get us into playoffs but it wouldn't make me content with Tyrod going forward. I suspect BB and McD are giving Tyrod the chance to prove them wrong but I believe they are getting ready to draft their own guy come April.

It would take a spectacular season for him to change their minds I think.

Even if he has a great season they should consider it IMO, Taylor's 28 and a major component of his game's running. How long does that last? Plan ahead.