Sad/Tragic Football Related Death

SinceThe70s

Saw the early reports on this local story this morning that there was a critical injury during a high school football practice. Hoped for the best outcome but was surprised/disappointed when I saw the outcome reported nationally:

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/20305333/high-schooler-dies-log-falls-football-drill

Can't imagine what the parents are going through.

No ****, the same thing happened to a fifth grader when I was a fourth grader 35+ years ago. WTF was my gym teacher thinking? Seven boys to lift and carry a lord-knows-how-heavy pole.

It was a section of utility pole that surrounded the blacktop playground. He wanted it moved away from under the basketball goal.

Edited by BUFFALOKIE

Saw the early reports on this local story this morning that there was a critical injury during a high school football practice. Hoped for the best outcome but was surprised/disappointed when I saw the outcome reported nationally:

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/20305333/high-schooler-dies-log-falls-football-drill

Can't imagine what the parents are going through.

I imagine they're going though lots of "Damn it, we're preparing to bury our son, will you ambulance-chasers stop calling us?!?!?!" unsolicited phone conversations.

I imagine they're going though lots of "Damn it, we're preparing to bury our son, will you ambulance-chasers stop calling us?!?!?!" unsolicited phone conversations.

No doubt, that's a horrible societal aspect that only adds to the families trauma.

That seems like a really stupid thing to have children doing.

Considering that SEAL candidates have to pass a difficult initial physical screening , then go through physical training to prepare to pass an even more difficult physical screening before they even get to BUDS and are exposed to that exercise...yes, it's probably safe to say it's incredibly !@#$ing dumb to have 16 year olds who spend half their day sitting in class do that same exercise.

Considering that SEAL candidates have to pass a difficult initial physical screening , then go through physical training to prepare to pass an even more difficult physical screening before they even get to BUDS and are exposed to that exercise...yes, it's probably safe to say it's incredibly !@#$ing dumb to have 16 year olds who spend half their day sitting in class do that same exercise.

Tragic accident but HS football players can carry a log around together. Every year HS football players are hurt in the weight room performing any number of lifts, including those that involve lifting heavy bars above their heads. There is nothing inherently wrong with this drill. It was an accident.

Edited by dayman