Bills' OC: Tyrod Taylor 'can't wait for a route to open up

Meathead

I'm rooting for the guy, but I definitely lean towards "he is what he is" at this point in his career.

I agree. Expecting dramatic change would be folly.

But maybe - with Dennison's coaching - we can hope for incremental improvement. Tyrod wasn't a horrible QB last year. And maybe he'll be a little better this season.

And then is it too much to hope for that Dennison implements a better passing scheme this year - one tailored to TT's strengths?

Neither Roman nor Lynn were particularly strong in the passing game.

Those are my two hopes: (1) Tyrod does get a little better, and (2) Dennison's passing scheme is better. Putting the two together, we could have a much more productive passing attack.

Edited by hondo in seattle

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about if the D could simply improve on their scoring allowed stat (22nd last year) and their takeaways (23rd last year)? They gave up 30 points or more in six games. The Bills' O was 3rd in the league in giveaways and 10th in scoring. The Bills' D in 2014 was 4th in scoring defense and 6th in takeaways. Somewhere in the middle for the defense would benefit this team greatly.

Let's face it, when Rex was hired he was gonna make the D into a "bully". You couple a real bully (the Bills' 2014 defense) with the 2015 and '16 offenses and the playoffs would likely have been the result.

16th in points against is middle of the pack. But yes they need to improve.

16th in points against is middle of the pack. But yes they need to improve.

29th against the run and only 4 games with more than 1 takeaway. We won 4 games when we had 1 or fewer takeaways... and they were against SF, CLE, NE (no brady), and JAX. 3 of the worst teams in the league, and a 3rd round rookie with a broken thumb. Gotta create turnovers on defense to be successful in the league.

Teams also dont win a lot of games when they allow more than like 3 TDs or so. We didn't win any.

Edited by dneveu

Only thing that's embarrassing is your omission of Mark Sanchez and Nick Foles.

Womp womp womp. How embarrassing.

Offseason of CoT embellishment rolls along

So you're just going to pretend that you weren't wrong about 2011 & 2013 huh?

McCoy did not do as well in 2014 with Foles and Sanchez. He had the second most yards of his career in 2014, but his yards per attempt were tied for the second lowest of his career. So that means he just had a high volume with Foles and Sanchez, and he had some pretty putrid games if you actually go check them out. His yards per attempt in 2016 with Tyrod were over a full yard more than in 2014 (5.4 vs 4.2) AND his receiving stats were more than twice as good in 2016 than 2014.

You done yet?

Edited by MPT

29th against the run and only 4 games with more than 1 takeaway. We won 4 games when we had 1 or fewer takeaways... and they were against SF, CLE, NE (no brady), and JAX. 3 of the worst teams in the league, and a 3rd round rookie with a broken thumb. Gotta create turnovers on defense to be successful in the league.

Teams also dont win a lot of games when they allow more than like 3 TDs or so. We didn't win any.

Which still translates to 16th in overall points against.

Yep want to use the scoring offense as an argument. But ignores the scoring Defense which shows it was AVG.

But you know it cant be because an AVG defense with this offense means playoffs. (Isnt that the argument?)

Yep want to use the scoring offense as an argument. But ignores the scoring Defense which shows it was AVG.

But you know it cant be because an AVG defense with this offense means playoffs. (Isnt that the argument?)

It's been a while and I could use a refresher. What was your stance on DVOA?

The 12 playoff teams from last year were something like 5-23 when their respective teams gave up 30 or more points. Brady was 0-1 and Aaron Rodgers was 0-5....two of the best in the game and they couldn't overcome their defenses' inability to hold the opponent under 30 points.

So you're just going to pretend that you weren't wrong about 2011 & 2013 huh?

McCoy did not do as well in 2014 with Foles and Sanchez. He had the second most yards of his career in 2014, but his yards per attempt were tied for the second lowest of his career. So that means he just had a high volume with Foles and Sanchez, and he had some pretty putrid games if you actually go check them out. His yards per attempt in 2016 with Tyrod were over a full yard more than in 2014 (5.4 vs 4.2) AND his receiving stats were more than twice as good in 2016 than 2014.

You done yet?

Yes I think I am done with the deep dive of excuses.

I didn't know Vick in 2011 was also Tyrod in costume

Foles started 1o games in 13 btw

Edited by Maury Ballstein

The 12 playoff teams from last year were something like 5-23 when their respective teams gave up 30 or more points. Brady was 0-1 and Aaron Rodgers was 0-5....two of the best in the game and they couldn't overcome their defenses' inability to hold the opponent under 30 points.

Again point remains. Hard to use team scoring as how good your offense is when you discredit team scoring defense.

Lose credibility dont ya?

Dale Carnegie's
How to Win Friends and Influence People.
One of the chapters is titled "You Can't Win an Argument," in which Carnegie writes:

Nine times out of ten, an argument ends with each of the contestants more firmly convinced than ever that he is absolutely right.

You can’t win an argument. You can’t because if you lose it, you lose it; and if you win it, you lose it. Why? Well, suppose you triumph over the other man and shoot his argument full of holes and prove that he is non compos mentis (
not sane or in one's right mind)
. Then what? You will feel fine. But what about him? You have made him feel inferior. You have hurt his pride. He will resent your triumph. And -"A man convinced against his will, Is of the same opinion still."

:rolleyes:

Yes I think I am done with the deep dive of excuses.

I didn't know Vick in 2011 was also Tyrod in costume

Foles started 1o games in 13 btw

Again point remains. Hard to use team scoring as how good your offense is when you discredit team scoring defense.

Lose credibility dont ya?

Oh dear. They've completely lost the ability to form cohesive thought. Sorry about that. Edited by MPT

Oh dear. They've completely lost the ability to form cohesive thought. Sorry about that.

Swaggy 7-9 guy

You win.

Starters? Goff for sure but Osweiler may not even hold onto that gig.

Man, your outlook is bleak. 17 years out the playoffs has beaten you down.

(me too but not this bad)

And Fitz too!? Yikes.

You're entitled to your opinion.... but damn.

Watch the Steelers/raiders/pats game w Brady again

It's pretty busted dude.

Swaggy 7-9 guy

You win.

Watch the Steelers/raiders/pats game w Brady again

It's pretty busted dude.

I appreciate your willingness to share an unpopular opinion and take the heat you get. No I don't share your view point but you come back day in and day out. And I'm sure you'd like nothing more than Tyrod to light it up and get us to the playoffs. Hope you eat crow bro but who knows.

Let's wait and see.

Kind of...? Atlanta and Oakland had worse scoring defenses and had way more takeaways. You take the ball away and you create additional opportunities for your offense.

I don't think you can look at any one offensive or defensive number and say - that's the most important number. DVOA at least tries to take into account the opponent you're playing, and your comparison to the rest of the league.