Linkin Park lead singer Chester Bennington dead

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dating back to 1983 to present day - with the last one being late night Jan., 15, 2015 - I've known, well, eight people who have committed suicide. No family. All friends and/or co-workers.

The last one hurt the most. Her name was Rebecca and she lived life to the fullest. Took it right by the balls and I envied her for it. She worked for me for years and was a friend. I had ZERO idea that she battled depression.

At least once/week, I think about her. I think about her very last moments and whether she was crying and wrestling with actually doing it. Or if she was certain and she was at peace before she hanged herself.

I've never been mad at her and I know there's nothing I could have done to prevent it. But I do miss her and I just feel sad that she was that sad.

I've spent many years devoting time to a NFP for homeless vets. Since Becky's suicide, I've often thought that switching gears and latching onto a Suicide Prevention/Awareness NFP is something I should do. I think I will.

To the person who put up the picture and circled the "hang with us," part. Just delete it.

I run the full gamut of emotions when it comes to suicide. Unfortunately I too have had several close to me commit suicide. I'm always angry when I first hear about it. I'm mad at the person for hurting those around. I'm mad at them for not asking for help and I'm mad at myself for not seeing it coming. I get that people must be hurting tremendously to do such a thing to themselves but I can't ever imagine hurting so much it seems like an option let alone the best or only option for them. He had kids and a wife that will now wonder what they could have done and blaming themselves for not stopping it.

I don't even know what I'm trying to say here but suicide seems like it should be preventable and yet it isn't. We have a lot of learning to do about dealing with mental illness and helping those in need.

Also if you are under 40 and a male don't tell me you didn't rock this song

If I told you I did rock to that song I would be lying, cause I didn't, not even once, or even half of a once. Or a quarter of a once.

Edited by KermitMcDermott

I run the full gamut of emotions when it comes to suicide. Unfortunately I too have had several close to me commit suicide. I'm always angry when I first hear about it. I'm mad at the person for hurting those around. I'm mad at them for not asking for help and I'm mad at myself for not seeing it coming. I get that people must be hurting tremendously to do such a thing to themselves but I can't ever imagine hurting so much it seems like an option let alone the best or only option for them. He had kids and a wife that will now wonder what they could have done and blaming themselves for not stopping it.

I don't even know what I'm trying to say here but suicide seems like it should be preventable and yet it isn't. We have a lot of learning to do about dealing with mental illness and helping those in need.

Well said my friend.

CBF

http://nation.com.pk/columns/25-Jul-2017/please-stop-glorifying-suicide

Yes, it is a politically charged article but it rings true and I do not care if you are on one side of the political spectrum or not.

It is hard being a celebrity in the modern world.

With the connectivity and the ensuing following penetrating new zeniths with every passing second, the sheer volume of influence certain individuals can have over millions of people and growing is absolutely unprecedented.

With such magnitude of fame comes similar scrutiny.

For, considering the number of people one can inspire, certain sections have put more responsibilities on celebrities than ever before.

What this has meant is that any tinge of bigotry, whether of the racist, sexist, homophobic or xenophobic variety is being taken to the sword on a regular basis, especially in the digital realm.

Any individual with a following, regardless of their stature and direct nature of responsibilities, is being increasingly held accountable for actions that could have a negative impact on the millions they influence.

Except when they decide to kill themselves.