Nick Fairley's NFL Career Could Be Over: Heart Condition

Thing is, everyone knew about this condition when he was drafted. It didn't stop the Lions from taking him high in the Draft. Saints knew about it as well when they signed him last year and just gave him a new contract. I wonder if something has happened that isn't being reported.

.....thanks bud...thought he had pre-draft heart issues....good to see he made it this far and would be shocked if Saints Med Staff did not fully vet condition before signing.....wouldn't make much sense knowing pre-draft condition.........

"If he's medically cleared a year from now, let Kyle walk and sign Fairley. In hindsight, Nix should have taken Fairley 3rd overall back in 2011 instead of Lazy Dareus."

- Typical TBD fan response.

I am glad you are not making decisions. That is very poor hindsight.

You would have drafted a guy who is now out of NFL who had one good year, very inconsistent play even with Suh next to him, who was injured virtually every year, and on hook for salary cap ramifications of mega deal he just signed last year?

In exchange for lazy Dareus who when he has his head on straight is one of the top 2 or 3 lineman in NFL, always plays well when playing, who should be, and still could be, entering his prime. Who has a great chance to turn it around now that he has a drill sergeant for head coach who will hold him accountable.

I will go with Dareus everyday, even with the big contract.

Edited by cba fan

Wonder what it is and if it's fixable with medication and/or surgery...

doctor's opinion that there is a good chance it is treatable...said Fairley's condition was known at the combine. Said teams are very cautious to avoid a Len Bias sudden death type situation and set the bar very low on what is an acceptable EKG result, which they get every year. Says he doesn't know the exact condition but guesses it's one of two...either an arrhythmia or myopathy(enlarged heart).

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/columnists/kevin-acee/sd-sp-pfd-nick-fairley-heart-20170604-story,amp.html

Len Bias also shouldn't have been doing coke. GRHS.

I am glad you are not making decisions. That is very poor hindsight.

You would have drafted a guy who is now out of NFL who had one good year, very inconsistent play even with Suh next to him, who was injured virtually every year, and on hook for salary cap ramifications of mega deal he just signed last year?

In exchange for lazy Dareus who when he has his head on straight is one of the top 2 or 3 lineman in NFL, always plays well when playing, who should be, and still could be, entering his prime. Who has a great chance to turn it around now that he has a drill sergeant for head coach who will hold him accountable.

I will go with Dareus everyday, even with the big contract.

He was clearly tongue-in-cheek.

Len Bias also shouldn't have been doing coke. GRHS.

He was clearly tongue-in-cheek.

?. I guess I miss read it. Thanks.

saints have terrible luck with big money contracts. they must have the worst cap management i've ever seen. it's amazing.

Well.. If they would stop consulting with Levy and Nix or whoever they talk to, and stop signing Bills cast offs that would be a start.

That was a lawsuit waiting to happen if something went wrong and the team cleared him to play.

Yep. I also see it as bad PR for the team and the NFL if he dies on the field and the team was aware that he had a condition, waiver or not.

saints have terrible luck with big money contracts. they must have the worst cap management i've ever seen. it's amazing.

For a mi it's they hit homeruns with everything - draft and free agency, and now they can't get ANYTHING. Big contracts and top picks are just constantly a struggle.

For a mi it's they hit homeruns with everything - draft and free agency, and now they can't get ANYTHING. Big contracts and top picks are just constantly a struggle.

it is noticeable how the FO has fallen off.

Saints were at one time kinda scary good. Seems like it started with Jimmy Graham leaving, not sure.

Must be disheartening for Brees. he must know, regardless of money , the Team is really struggling at the foundational level.

I did not want to bring up hiring Rob Ryan, but surely that was a very poor move in hindsight.

Has Payton lost his mojo?

Yep. I also see it as bad PR for the team and the NFL if he dies on the field and the team was aware that he had a condition, waiver or not.

you seem an odd person.

autistic perhaps?

Edited by 3rdand12

Saints were at one time kinda scary good. Seems like it started with Jimmy Graham leaving, not sure.

Must be disheartening for Brees. he must know, regardless of money , the Team is really struggling at the foundational level.

I did not want to bring up hiring Rob Ryan, but surely that was a very poor move in hindsight.

you seem an odd person.

autistic perhaps?

You're odd that you can't detect when someone is being facetious. Who's autistic now?

...you would think knowing the kid had a pre-draft heart condition that they would get multiple opinions from cardiologists with a battery of tests before signing him....

you seem an odd person.

autistic perhaps?

It was somewhere in that mess of bountygate/pillgate/every other gate they had

Before that they hauled in guys like jimmy graham in the 3rd, Jahri Evans late, Carl nicks late, great role players like Pierre Thomas as a udfa... free agents like our own Jabari Greer, darren sharper, Vilma, even drew himself... EVERYTHING worked out. Reggie bush was pretty much the biggest knock on them and it was a perfectly reasonable pick to have made even though he didn't live up to the spot.

And then it went straight cursed on everything so quickly. Graham forces his way out crippling the cap, junior galette goes off the deep end immediately after signing a HUGE deal, Byrd, browner, spiller was a decently big deal.... cooks was good and forced his way out but at least got compensation....the biggest wins since 2011 are Cam Jordan, Mike Thomas and I guess Ingram? And two of those are 2011 picks

Edited by NoSaint

It was somewhere in that mess of bountygate/pillgate/every other gate they had

Before that they hauled in guys like jimmy graham in the 3rd, Jahri Evans late, Carl nicks late, great role players like Pierre Thomas as a udfa... free agents like our own Jabari Greer, darren sharper, Vilma, even drew himself... EVERYTHING worked out. Reggie bush was pretty much the biggest knock on them and it was a perfectly reasonable pick to have made even though he didn't live up to the spot.

And then it went straight cursed on everything so quickly. Graham forces his way out crippling the cap, junior galette goes off the deep end immediately after signing a HUGE deal, Byrd, browner, spiller was a decently big deal.... the biggest wins since 2012 are Cam Jordan, Mike Thomas and I guess Ingram?

Yep, it really took a turn. Theories ? Brees contract??

Maybe they are turning it around

Yep, it really took a turn. Theories ? Brees contract??

Maybe they are turning it around

Unless they took money out of scouting to pay brees it wouldn't make much sense.

I think a few things came together in a tight window-- you succeed like that and teams raid your coaching and scouting staffs. Bountygate cost both resources and reputation so they never got that "discount to get a ring" type of signing. The merger of the front office with the pelicans front office has to effect processes and focus. And I wonder if between bountygate, pill gate, and his divorce if the team ever got 2009 Sean Payton back.... the culture went from really cohesive and confident to disjointed and tentative at times (in the locker room there's been cooks issues, Ingram issues, graham issues, galette issues, etc...).... plus dumb luck.

Edited by NoSaint

Unless they took money out of scouting to pay brees it wouldn't make much sense.

I think a few things came together in a tight window-- you succeed like that and teams raid your coaching and scouting staffs. Bountygate cost both resources and reputation so they never got that "discount to get a ring" type of signing. The merger of the front office with the pelicans front office has to effect processes and focus. And I wonder if between bountygate, pill gate, and his divorce if the team ever got 2009 Sean Payton back.... the culture went from really cohesive and confident to disjointed and tentative at times (in the locker room there's been cooks issues, Ingram issues, graham issues, galette issues, etc...).... plus dumb luck.

Now That's a theory!

Thanks No Saint, as always.