A Peters question...

Frez

Where does Jason Peters fit in with the Bills next year? Will he make this team and play TE for us?

259463[/snapback]

Personally, I'd prefer him working out as a backup O-lineman/special teamer or possibly a goal line TE (like the Pats use Verba).

Outside of STs at the very least I'd expect to see him play off either tackle as an eligible lineman on most of our goal line series and short yardage plays considering Losman will surely have roll outs called down in tight or 3rd/4th and short. He hasn't shown the foot speed to play TE in the open field, he right now remains simply a big guy with good speed and burst for his size- not good speed when compared to many 240 pound TEs.

i dunno about the lack of speed? he did run a 4.7 at the combine at the 40. Also, he did block a punt, which requires a lot of speed/power.

IMO peters is better suited to play OT, if he can develop and be used on short yardage situations as a TE

Where does Jason Peters fit in with the Bills next year? Will he make this team and play TE for us?

259463[/snapback]

I was wondering that last year when both of our TE's were lost for the season. You have to wonder what he's here for.

What happened to all that great speed and athleticism he's supposed to possess? The team hasn't even bothered to use him other than on teams. Let's take advantage of his skills now.

LMAO, I still get a chuckle from that article posted at the start of the season last year when the smaller players (DB's, etc) would fall down or find a way not to block Peters on teams in practice! :ph34r:

i dunno about the lack of speed? he did run a 4.7 at the combine at the 40. Also, he did block a punt, which requires a lot of speed/power.

IMO peters is better suited to play OT, if he can develop and be used on short yardage situations as a TE

259526[/snapback]

Straight line speed is alot different than being able to get seperation from a defender via a quick cut. Not sure Peters would hold up to well under those circumstances.

I don't understand the point of making him a tackle and giving him a tackle number so that he has to declare himself as eligible when he wants to go out.

A TE doens't have to go out for passes. They can stay in and block whenever they want, so wouldn't it make sense to list him as a TE?

Is there a reason (a benefit of some sort) to listing him as a lineman instead of a TE?

I don't understand the point of making him a tackle and giving him a tackle number so that he has to declare himself as eligible when he wants to go out.

A TE doens't have to go out for passes.  They can stay in and block whenever they want, so wouldn't it make sense to list him as a TE?

Is there a reason (a benefit of some sort) to listing him as a lineman instead of a TE?

259622[/snapback]

Listing no? but when I say want him as a backup offensive lineman it's because that's where I want him practicing and see if he has what it takes to be an NFL offensive lineman, if not then he'll likely be nothing more then a 3rd string TE ie nothing really special.

Outside of STs at the very least I'd expect to see him play off either tackle as an eligible lineman on most of our goal line series and short yardage plays considering Losman will surely have roll outs called down in tight or 3rd/4th and short. He hasn't shown the foot speed to play TE in the open field, he right now remains simply a big guy with good speed and burst for his size- not good speed when compared to many 240 pound TEs.

259516[/snapback]

I might argue with that. I was at a game or two when I was specifically watching Peters and he was literally the first Bill down the field on the KO team before they hit the blockers. I was really impressed.

Listing no? but when I say want him as a backup offensive lineman it's because that's where I want him practicing and see if he has what it takes to be an NFL offensive lineman, if not then he'll likely be nothing more then a 3rd string TE ie nothing really special.

259626[/snapback]

I agree that so far he has been used more as an extra lineman, and the one big dropped pass I saw from JP didn't do much to promote confidence in his ability to be a TE.

I also think that as long as he is on the team he will be used as a weapon on the field. They will design plays to go his way (even if it's only 1 or 2 every couple of games) just because he then becomes another target the defnese has to account for...and a rather unique target at that.

I just think giving him an OL number and calling attention to himself everytime he wants to break down field hinders his ability to be used as a decoy/short threat.

Guest BackInDaDay

A TE doens't have to go out for passes.  They can stay in and block whenever they want, so wouldn't it make sense to list him as a TE?

259622[/snapback]

259626[/snapback]

Good answer, Jokeman. Let McNally have at 'im.

Bear, if you already know this, my apologies, but 'unbalanced lines' are not a common sight anymore, so indulge me.

You have to line up 7 men on the line of scrimmage. An 'unbalanced formation' is one where 1 OG and 2 OTs line up on the same side of the C. The outside OT becomes an eligible receiver, if no other offensive player lines up outside him on the LOS, because he's on the End of the line. Because of the OT's number, he has to report his eligibility to the official before lining up in this formation. It's up to the D to recognise the formation and defend it's possibilities.

Tackle Eligible is an old trick that shouldn't fool anyone, but if you show the formation and the QB sees no LBs or DBs on that side, it will work. Worst case, you add a flanker or wingback and run the crap out of that side. <_<

Because of the OT's number, he has to report his eligibility to the official before lining up in this formation.  It's up to the D to recognise the formation and defend it's possibilities.

Tackle Eligible is an old trick that shouldn't fool anyone, but if you show the formation and the QB sees no LBs or DBs on that side, it will work.  Worst case, you add a flanker or wingback and run the crap out of that side.  <_<

259681[/snapback]

This is my point. Why give him a tackle number if it means he has to declare?

The reason I don't like it is because I have been to stadiums where it is announced when a lineman has declared eligible (as in over the loudspeaker). I haven't paid attention enough to know if they do it at all stadiums or if it is only done at certain ones...but I know I have head it.

In that case, the defense doesn't have to do much but listen to know when a tackle could be running out.

Really, it's not that big of a deal to me. I just find it odd that they would give him a tackle number when they could just as easily give him a TE number and not have to deal witht he eligibitly rule.

BTW...Peters got a penalty on this last season because he forgot to declare!

Guest BackInDaDay
BTW...Peters got a penalty on this last season because he forgot to declare!

259710[/snapback]

<_<

Im sure this is going to sound stupid to many but its just a suggestion what about peters playing DT. I know it will take time for him to adjust to the position but he is bigger than Pat and faster. He showe his abitlity to bust through the line on that punt block and also made some takckles on speacial teams. I think he would be able to play this position because of his natural athletic ability. Just a thought