Walt Powell suspended 4 games for PEDs

You are assuming that option one and option two substances have the same effect. What if option one is far superior? I think fringe guys will take the chance of getting caught if they think it gives them a better chance of making a squad

The player can think what he wants to think. The disqualifying product is not going to provide better results than the non-disqualifying product. The reality is stretching the boundaries of training methods creates a situation where one's career can be placed in jeopardy. All this player has to do is open his eyes and see how going outside the lines, intentionally or not, for so many other players can destroy one's career. Over the years how many times have players been warned about taking products not on the approved list? Being stupid is never being smart! He's a case in point.

I think there are times when it is an honest mistake - meaning the band substance list is quite lengthy - the amount of ingredients in a supplement is lengthy - and there's generic names for a lot of these band substances.

I think the team could make the same mistake.

The team would be less likely to make a mistake. They would recommend products that they know for sure meet the standard. Why take the risk of taking some of these exotic products with questionable ingredients when there are products on the acceptable list? There is simply too much at stake for the players to free lance in their selection of what they believe to be enhancers.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The player can think what he wants to think. The disqualifying product is not going to provide better results than the non-disqualifying product. The reality is stretching the boundaries of training methods creates a situation where one's career can be placed in jeopardy. All this player has to do is open his eyes and see how going outside the lines, intentionally or not, for so many other players can destroy one's career. Over the years how many times have players been warned about taking products not on the approved list? Being stupid is never being smart! He's a case in point.

Yes, if everyone that took banned substances got caught it would be very stupid. But they don't. What about the guy that advanced his career by taking banned substances but never got caught. Was it stupid for him?

Yes, if everyone that took banned substances got caught it would be very stupid. But they don't. What about the guy that advanced his career by taking banned substances but never got caught. Was it stupid for him?

What if the player who took banned substances and had his career advanced could have had the same career without taking the banned substance? Would the risk be worth it? How do you think Powell would answer your question?

What if the player who took banned substances and had his career advanced could have had the same career without taking the banned substance? Would the risk be worth it? How do you think Powell would answer your question?

Obviously there is no way to know that, but people take these substances for a reason. Does Barry Bonds have the same career without PEDs?

I think that even for athletes that eventually get caught, it may be worth it. Would anyone even know who Lance Armstrong is if he didn't juice? Yes, now he has been outed as a cheat. He can console himself with his millions.

It's just the nature of the beast in a super competitive environment. Everyone is looking for the slightest edge.

Obviously there is no way to know that, but people take these substances for a reason. Does Barry Bonds have the same career without PEDs?

I think that even for athletes that eventually get caught, it may be worth it. Would anyone even know who Lance Armstrong is if he didn't juice? Yes, now he has been outed as a cheat. He can console himself with his millions.

It's just the nature of the beast in a super competitive environment. Everyone is looking for the slightest edge.

He was a great player well before the steroid era in MLB, but no way he'd have the ridiculous numbers he posted without the help.

The team would be less likely to make a mistake. They would recommend products that they know for sure meet the standard. Why take the risk of taking some of these exotic products with questionable ingredients when there are products on the acceptable list? There is simply too much at stake for the players to free lance in their selection of what they believe to be enhancers.

Fair enough. Is it typical for the team to take on that responsibility - where a player can ask them, can I take this?

Fair enough. Is it typical for the team to take on that responsibility - where a player can ask them, can I take this?

As far as I know the player assumes responsibility for his intake. The team does provide guidance but when all is said and done the player is responsible for his intake. However, I'm confident that if the training staff recommends a product that it is a product that they know is acceptable.

The players who are getting caught and penalized are not taking the team recommended products. For the most part they are taking a questionable product because they believe (falsely) that it will give them an edge over players who are taking approved products.