Travis Brown Angry

millbank

•Buffalo released LB Jason Gildon and placed quarterback Travis Brown on injured reserve. Brown also sat out the entire 2003 season with an injury. Gildon, who holds the Pittsburgh Steelers' record with 77 sacks, was cut six weeks after the Bills signed the 10-year veteran in hopes of bolstering their pass rush.

Brown was angry about being deactivated for the season. Earlier, the Bills announced Brown was expected to miss four to six weeks. Team president Tom Donahoe said Aug. 30 that Brown's return could even come sooner, adding that the team was going to keep him on the active roster.

"When you tell me something and you repeatedly tell me something, and then totally come out of left field with something else, I just don't think that's the way you should do business," Brown said

Brown Angry

Scroll down for Brown comments

More

•Buffalo released LB Jason Gildon and placed quarterback Travis Brown on injured reserve. Brown also sat out the entire 2003 season with an injury. Gildon, who holds the Pittsburgh Steelers' record with 77 sacks, was cut six weeks after the Bills signed the 10-year veteran in hopes of bolstering their pass rush.

Brown was angry about being deactivated for the season. Earlier, the Bills announced Brown was expected to miss four to six weeks. Team president Tom Donahoe said Aug. 30 that Brown's return could even come sooner, adding that the team was going to keep him on the active roster.

"When you tell me something and you repeatedly tell me something, and then totally come out of left field with something else, I just don't think that's the way you should do business," Brown said

Brown Angry

19330[/snapback]

What is Brown pissed about? He wasn't going to see time, and now gets paid for the season, right? If that's true, he should be thankful he'll collect a huge salary for doing nothing but rehabbing.

What is Brown pissed about?  He wasn't going to see time, and now gets paid for the season, right?  If that's true, he should be thankful he'll collect a huge salary for doing nothing but rehabbing.

19332[/snapback]

Because they placed him on IR ending his season because of a 4 week injury...of course he's pissed and he has every right to be. Maybe it's your dream to pick up a paycheck while sitting on the couch but I'd imagine Tavis probably wants to develop as a QB and get a crack as starting one day...perhaps its a pipe dream, but the guy has to shoot for something.

Because they placed him on IR ending his season because of a 4 week injury...of course he's pissed and he has every right to be.  Maybe it's your dream to pick up a paycheck while sitting on the couch but I'd imagine Tavis probably wants to develop as a QB and get a crack as starting one day...perhaps its a pipe dream, but the guy has to shoot for something.

19335[/snapback]

But his season isn't over. He can reach an injury settlement with the Bills and resign as soon as he's healthy.

Anyway who cares what Travis Friggin Brown thinks? He should be thankful the Bills even gave him a second/third/fourth chance on his sorry career.

But his season isn't over. He can reach an injury settlement with the Bills and resign as soon as he's healthy.

Anyway who cares what Travis Friggin Brown thinks? He should be thankful the Bills even gave him a second/third/fourth chance on his sorry career.

19342[/snapback]

I see both sides to it. Brown actually thinks he has a chance at a future in the NFL, so not being able to practice with the team robs him of that. OTOH he DOES get paid. I don't feel too sorry for Travis, since I don't think he has a future and since he's made a LOT of money to be a non-player. It's a business, but if you're a good player, the business part will take care of itself.

So let's take the business aspect a step further. The Bills are about a 130 person company. Sixty eight players until today (15 got laid off today, 8 or so will be called back tomorrow at 5), about 40 staff including coaches, etc. that have supervisory responsibility of some sort for the players and then about 20 - 30 who have ancillary responsibilities (marketing, tickets, operations) etc.

You have been working for several months knowing that you are going to get to a day when you had to pare the player portion of the company to a required size. The key in this decision is to set expectations that the player would need to attain to make the final 53.

There are several factors--historical performance, salary to production ratio, current performance, work ethic, leadership abilities, relative importance of one's position, etc. I think we would all agree that if a team is going to be successful there has to be good communication between the 40 staff that have player supervisory responsibilities and the players in order to get the best 53.

We'll never know what happened here...but if this statement is true

That indicates a failure to communicate. Which is hard to believe in an organization this small. The truth is, when Matthews performed like he did on Thursday night..this was decided...If Travis wasn't informed sometime Friday that this scenario could play out--someone made a mistake....

I am of the mind that you have to be brutally honest with your people particularly when their jobs are on the line, companies and organizations that do it any other way ending up losing the trust of their remaining people...that's not what I want to see from the Bills.

Again, this is my opinion--but its the way I have managed for 20 years--and its worked okay so far....

I think the problem here is that Travis feels like he was lied to.

That's what is pissing him off. It would piss me off, too.  But you still shut your mouth until you're in a situation where you CAN run your mouth.

You just can't teach this stuff.

19429[/snapback]

I agree LA that most of us would keep our mouth's shut in this situation and move on in--particular since any severance we would be getting in the real world would be tied to us shutting our traps...

but this is pro football and five minutes after this hit the wire, he had a call from a reporter asking the inane question "How do you feel right now?" He gave them raw gut reaction. He feels strongly that he was !@#$ed.....and the sports media loves to get comments from athletes in these situations.....

Hey travis, go punch a wall with your non throwing hand. Maybe you can have pat lafontaine and rob ray stand behind you to show support for the backup QB that you are. Shut your mouth, rehab for 6 weeks, use the rest of your IR season to pump iron and use legal muscle builders and come back next year to fight for your job. The next time you whine, you can swipe my visa when i spend $40 to watch the bills play, instead of the 19 year old buff state student/part time ticket sales rep.

I agree LA that most of us would keep our mouth's shut in this situation and move on in--particular since any severance we would be getting in the real world would be tied to us shutting our traps...

but this is pro football and five minutes after this hit the wire, he had a call from a reporter asking the inane question "How do you feel right now?"  He gave them raw gut reaction.  He feels strongly that he was !@#$ed.....and  the sports media loves to get comments from athletes in these situations.....

19441[/snapback]

The problem here is that if no one picks him up, what are his options? Be on Donahoe's practice squad. One would think that if he made these comments, he has a second career ready to go.

Hey travis, go punch a wall with your non throwing hand.  Maybe you can have pat lafontaine and rob ray stand behind you to show support for the backup QB that you are.  Shut your mouth, rehab for 6 weeks, use the rest of your IR season to pump iron and use legal muscle builders and come back next year to fight for your job.  The next time you whine, you can swipe my visa when i spend $40 to watch the bills play, instead of the 19 year old buff state student/part time ticket sales rep.

19443[/snapback]

See what I mean--if the reporter who called Travis would have called Corp--he would have gotten raw gut reaction that he/she could have used in the story. Good Stuff :w00t:

The problem here is that if no one picks him up, what are his options? Be on Donahoe's practice squad. One would think that if he made these comments, he has a second career ready to go.

19444[/snapback]

Good point. Its even tougher since he has to make someone's final 53 because he's no longer PS eligible. He defines journeyman -- cut I think three times including once by the Bills...never really shown much....if he doesn't have a back-up plan--he should've before he got injured.

See what I mean--if the reporter who called Travis would have called Corp--he would have gotten raw gut reaction that he/she could have used in the story. Good Stuff 

hey, yous gots me misunderstood, man! I meant to say $52 tickets. I need those heated club seats! Seriously though, travis is a good guy. he got the shaft, but hey, if bledsoe slaps his hand on the back of big mike's head when he's getting pushed back and breaks it against the jags, we need someone to come in. Plus apparently matthews showed something that travis didn't have. Work out and come back to camp next year with a chip on your shoulder. And joe, if you want gut reactions, come to me... i always speak and bite my tongue later!

Brown Angry

More

Well, as far I'm concerned, Brown was TD's personal charity case on the Bills.  Travis, show us the long list of feelers from other NFL teams for your services.

When the Bills picked him up three years ago his NFL careeer was over...in everyone but Donahoe's eyes.

Isn't Travis smart enough to know that he made the fatal mistake for a marginal player; he got injured!  For the second year running, too.  I don't know what TD told him, but he had more than a fair shake with the Bills.

19330[/snapback]

o let's take the business aspect a step further. The Bills are about a 130 person company. Sixty eight players until today (15 got laid off today, 8 or so will be called back tomorrow at 5), about 40 staff including coaches, etc. that have supervisory responsibility of some sort for the players and then about 20 - 30 who have ancillary responsibilities (marketing, tickets, operations) etc.

You have been working for several months knowing that you are going to get to a day when you had to pare the player portion of the company to a required size. The key in this decision is to set expectations that the player would need to attain to make the final 53.

There are several factors--historical performance, salary to production ratio, current performance, work ethic, leadership abilities, relative importance of one's position, etc. I think we would all agree that if a team is going to be successful there has to be good communication between the 40 staff that have player supervisory responsibilities and the players in order to get the best 53.

Shhhhhh....Don't let Blzrul see this or she'll add you to Kerry's doom and gloom of the economy.... :w00t: .........Sorry couldn't resist the PPP aspect.

"When you tell me something and you repeatedly tell me something, and then totally come out of left field with something else, I just don't think that's the way you should do business,"
Cry me a river, Travis. :w00t::o:(

What an assclown!