QB comparative data for Tyrod from Cian Fahey to discuss

I am willing to bet 2017 will not be the last season for Sammy....no way do they give up 2 first round picks on a player and just let him walk

If Sammy gets injured again his chances of staying diminish and it's one less Whaley guy on McDermotts team.

For Sammy to stay he'll need to put up big #'s and from what we've seen, he wont get them from TT without major changes.

If Dennison is high on TT then he's probably looking to let TT use his feet still.

just some thoughts

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Sammy gets injured again his chances of staying diminish and it's one less Whaley guy on McDermotts team.

For Sammy to stay he'll need to put up big #'s and from what we've seen, he wont get them from TT without major changes.

If Dennison is high on TT then he's probably looking to let TT use his feet still.

just some thoughts

He put up big numbers the second half of 2015 with TT.

just some thoughts

Well I sure hope so, considering that he is the most dangerous running QB in the NFL, and his running ability is a big reason why the run offense was so good. It's his strength.

just some thoughts

First...well yes barring injury....which i think is the ONLY reason why they have not picked up Sammy's option

Note: If they can recapture the 2nd half of the 2015 season....TT and Sammy had a real connection going

The fact that Taylor couldn't successfully run Roman's offense, and that Lynn had to dumb it down for starters. He doesn't make changes at the line pre snap, and Lynn took even more responsibility away to help him get plays ran quicker. All these things point to a guy who just isn't very good at the x's and O's part of the job. The talent is there, but he's lacking in terms of what he sees and processes.

That's just what I've taken from what I've seen and heard. I know people say Tyrod is smart, and I won't challenge that. What I will challenge is how smart is he in football terms related to being a QB? I haven't seen much of anything that shows me smarts and a high IQ for the position.

I believe everything you say to be true, but heres the thing. The complexity of the G Roman O because of all the added work in the run game puts to many X's and O's on a QB's plate.

...hate to use it, but as Keyshawn said, "just get me the damn ball".....and I have yet to be convinced that TT can scan/process the entire field to do so in time allowed without receivers (WR & TE) giving up routes knowing he'll never see them.....4 year understudy and 2 years starting is a reasonable window to GET the speed/complexity of the game at this level.....if not, what is the "fair time frame window"?...

3rd season my friend,

its now or never...

I believe everything you say to be true, but heres the thing. The complexity of the G Roman O because of all the added work in the run game puts to many X's and O's on a QB's plate.

3rd season my friend,

its now or never...

Make sure he doesn't have the worst WR corp in the NFL when Watkins is out. 15-14 as an NFL starter is not terrible.

Make sure he doesn't have the worst WR corp in the NFL when Watkins is out. 15-14 as an NFL starter is not terrible.

Under the circumstances JM, with zero help from the D, OC sent packing mid way as a scapegoat.

Tyrod Taylor has been one of the few positives you can take from another failed regime IMO.

Under the circumstances JM, with zero help from the D, OC sent packing mid way as a scapegoat.

Tyrod Taylor has been one of the few positives you can take from another failed regime IMO.

I agree. Is he a HOF or elite QB-no. He never will be that, but he is better than serviceable I think.

Jones may have been the best draft pick. I can't wait to see him play.

Yeah the thing that a lot of people seem to miss is just how much the "open" receivers became "not open" when Watkins was not in there.....we needed a guy that can be a 1st down machine to match up with Watkins and be a guy that can make plays if he is not.

I loved the Zay Jones pick

I agree. Is he a HOF or elite QB-no. He never will be that, but he is better than serviceable I think.

I'm not counting anything out just yet JM.

How do you define elite?

Taylor has the running capabilities of an elite RB already with a cannon arm.

The only difference standing between Tyrod Taylor and Cam Newton is 4 inches in height and 4 points on the wonderlic.

Lets put T T in a Taylor made system with good McD backing him up and see what happens.

Edited by Figster

Has Tyrod ever shown you that he commands the offense? That he gets the offense set up and adjusts according to what he sees at the line? Most QB's that have to worry about getting the play off are doing so because they are making adjustments at the line according to what they are seeing from the defensive alignment. Tyrod isn't doing this. Are you telling me that Roman and his plays were that complex that Tyrod couldn't decipher it and took too long...longer than guys that get the call, examine the defense, adjust the call and then run the play? Lynn simplified reads along with verbiage...I think there's a bit more truth to Tyrod not being that good at processing info on the field and in the huddle than some here are saying. Kaepernick ran Roman's offense very well and he's no genius, so based off all these things, it's fair to say that Tyrod may just struggle with processing info on the field and making reads...a big thing for a QB.

All we've heard and seen is a simple passing game, issues making reads and anticipating receivers, not using certain areas of the field, and having to have the offense scaled back with less reads, less verbiage, and less ability to make calls at the line. It's fair to conclude that based off of all that, that we have a QB that while talented...he's lacking in vital area's where it's most important for the leader of an offense.

Or maybe someone will come back in this thread and tell me that I'm misinterpreting things, lol.

This was great thread and there were lots of interesting comments made.

I want to cap off this conversation about analytics and statistics by introducing this question.

Let's pretend it's the first game of the 2017 season and we are playing the Pats in Foxboro........

There is 1:35 left in the game.

The Pats just scored a TD to go ahead by 4 points.

The ball is kicked into the end zone and the Bills start at their own 25.........

Now, who do you want handling the ball ?

Tyrod Taylor ?

I want to cap off this conversation about analytics and statistics by introducing this question.

Let's pretend it's the first game of the 2017 season and we are playing the Pats in Foxboro........

The ball is kicked into the end zone and the Bills start at their own 25.........

Tyrod Taylor ?

How about we biuld a defense that doesnt relinquish the lead with less then 2 minute remaining.....then we can use our awesome running game to win?

Tyrod Taylor ?

yep

"Trimming down the playbook" and "simplifying the offense," are what he said. The playbook isn't what you put together each week. It's the book that shows all the plays in the offense. I know it's an outdated word now that everyone uses computers, but that's what people are talking about when they say "playbook," the stuff you study in training camp.

I think you're referring to the game plan. And here's an article where Carson Palmer talks about memorizing a weekly game plan of 171 plays. And he calls it "a game plan," not a playbook.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/11/17/nfl-carson-palmer-arizona-cardinals-inside-game-plan

Lynn said he simplified the playbook. He also said, and this was really depressing for me to read at the time, that he simplified the reads. That's different from what you're implying here.

Nobody has said Tyrod doesn't have the mental capacity to handle the offense. He's a smart guy, and there's no indication at all that I've seen that he had trouble understanding the plays. Just that he didn't seem to be able to get through his options quick enough to read enough of the field. Which is one of the single main skills that generally separates the top ten or so guys in the world from everyone else playing the position.

Trimming the playbook and simplifying the offense are NOT what Lynn said. Those phrases you're quoting were in Robyn Mundy's report about Lynn's appearance on the John Murphy show. Lynn didn't use those phrases; Robyn did. You can hear what Lynn said here: http://www.buffalobills.com/video/audio/Anthony-Lynn-We-have-got-to-stay-on-the-field/72f7ccf3-3494-44f4-b413-57ec43c4d356

Although you can argue about what Lynn meant by what he said, my take is that he said the Bills were going into games with too many plays on the playlist.

He said something about Tyrod may not be able to handle the volume, but it seemed to mean again that the volume on the playlist was too great to manage, not the scale of the playbook.

He also said something about simplifying reads, but it wasn't clear if he was talking about Taylor or the entire offense.

In general, it sounded like he was saying the offense was too complicated, not that Taylor was unable to handle a normal sized offensive playbook.

Recall that in 2015 Incognito said it was the most complicated offense he ever had played in.

Tyrod Taylor ?

Nope

Has Tyrod ever shown you that he commands the offense? That he gets the offense set up and adjusts according to what he sees at the line? Most QB's that have to worry about getting the play off are doing so because they are making adjustments at the line according to what they are seeing from the defensive alignment. Tyrod isn't doing this. Are you telling me that Roman and his plays were that complex that Tyrod couldn't decipher it and took too long...longer than guys that get the call, examine the defense, adjust the call and then run the play? Lynn simplified reads along with verbiage...I think there's a bit more truth to Tyrod not being that good at processing info on the field and in the huddle than some here are saying. Kaepernick ran Roman's offense very well and he's no genius, so based off all these things, it's fair to say that Tyrod may just struggle with processing info on the field and making reads...a big thing for a QB.

All we've heard and seen is a simple passing game, issues making reads and anticipating receivers, not using certain areas of the field, and having to have the offense scaled back with less reads, less verbiage, and less ability to make calls at the line. It's fair to conclude that based off of all that, that we have a QB that while talented...he's lacking in vital area's where it's most important for the leader of an offense.

Or maybe someone will come back in this thread and tell me that I'm misinterpreting things, lol.

The Bills had the best O in the league when it comes to running the football Crusher, It didn't happen by accident and it took reps away from the passing game. QB had to understand and manage these plays along with everything thats expected from him in the passing game and it does put allot on a QB's plate in my humble opinion. Probably more then most QB's when you consider Taylor is also a big participant in the run game.

I seen improvement towards the end of the season in the passing game.

How about you?

Edited by Figster

How do you know Kaepernick isn't a genius?

So you're saying Tyrod is dumber than Kaep?

You're really making blanket insulting statements with little or no proof because of this seemingly very personal vendetta.