Time to move MW to LT?

Think about it:

1. JJ appears to be a goner.

2. LJ Shelton doesn't appear to be coming to Buffalo.

3. Teague and Price are not viable long-term solutions at LT

4. There are no cheaper LT alternatives to JJ in free agency

5. The current free agent market has plenty of good RT's that will be cheaper than JJ

So why not make the switch, eh?

Here's a potential lineup after making such a switch (note the strong run-blocking skills of all 5 starters...):

LT: Mike Williams

LG: Vincent from Steelers

C: Tucker

RG: Villarial

RT: Kareem McKenzie from Jets

backups:

Teague

Price

Sobieski

McFarland

Your thoughts?

258105[/snapback]

Definitely possibly. I just dont think the Bills will do it. I do think Vincent and McKenzie are possibilities later in Free Agency.

To me, all of this will be settled when the Bills get LJ Shelton. Forget what Clayton said, that guy has been wrong so often its not even funny. The Bills would not have sent Henry to Arizona for a visit if they werent confident that a deal could be hammered out. I think Clayton was fed a line in order to use the media as a negotiating tool by the Cards.

Methinks its just a ploy by Arizona to get the Bills to throw in a draft pick as well. Whether it works or not is up to TD, but the Cards NEED Travis Henry just as much as we NEED LJ Shelton.

I'm sorry, but until the tiem JP shows he can make it out of PRACTICE without an injury, I refuse to believe he'll survive in the NFL. and to think we could have had a shot at Roethlisberger.

258204[/snapback]

Who said we had a shot at Big Ben? We tried to trade up in front of Pitt and Houston wouldn't take an incredible offer to swap picks with us. They wanted Dunta Robinson and knew if they slid from 10 to 13 that the Jets would take Robinson at 12. We never had a shot at him dude!

"Nice Pick Cowa"

Who said we had a shot at Big Ben? We tried to trade up in front of Pitt and Houston wouldn't take an incredible offer to swap picks with us. They wanted Dunta Robinson and knew if they slid from 10 to 13 that the Jets would take Robinson at 12. We never had a shot at him dude!

"Nice Pick Cowa"

258281[/snapback]

note: i said COULD HAVE :D

Think about it:

1. JJ appears to be a goner.

2. LJ Shelton doesn't appear to be coming to Buffalo.

3. Teague and Price are not viable long-term solutions at LT

4. There are no cheaper LT alternatives to JJ in free agency

5. The current free agent market has plenty of good RT's that will be cheaper than JJ

So why not make the switch, eh?

Here's a potential lineup after making such a switch (note the strong run-blocking skills of all 5 starters...):

LT: Mike Williams

LG: Vincent from Steelers

C: Tucker

RG: Villarial

RT: Kareem McKenzie from Jets

backups:

Teague

Price

Sobieski

McFarland

Your thoughts?

258105[/snapback]

I'm not sure he would do well there but I think that MW is not just likely to move to LT, I think it is probably definite. He wasn't drafted that high and paid that much to be a right tackle. You can't have two lineman getting paid left tackle money which is the situation we were facing with MW on the roster and Jennings' contract being up. Someone had to go. MW is going to move out to the left side and we will get a RT who will get paid RT money.

My concern is that he will not be able to handle playing LT. He has mostly underwhelmed us with his performance on the field so far. Showing up to camp an out of shape, over weight head case last summer was ridiculous. It is not so easy to move from one side to the other. Everything is different. The skill set required to excel is not the same. What gives me hope is that McNally knows what he is doing and he must think Mike can handle the move so who am I to question the move?

We'll see.

I'm not sure he would do well there but I think that MW is not just likely to move to LT, I think it is probably definite.  He wasn't drafted that high and paid that much to be a right tackle.  You can't have two lineman getting paid left tackle money which is the situation we were facing with MW on the roster and Jennings' contract being up.  Someone had to go.  MW is going to move out to the left side and we will get a RT who will get paid RT money.

My concern is that he will not be able to handle playing LT.  He has mostly underwhelmed us with his performance on the field so far.  Showing up to camp an out of shape, over weight head case last summer was ridiculous.  It is not so easy to move from one side to the other.  Everything is different.  The skill set required to excel is not the same.  What gives me hope is that McNally knows what he is doing and he must think Mike can handle the move so who am I to question the move?

We'll see.

258321[/snapback]

Micky, logic would make it seem as if you are correct, but I am less than sure.

MW did improve toward the middle/end of last season at RT, but I would like to see more.

Teague otoh has LT experience, seems to have bulked up a bit, and is imo more agile than Big Mike. Additionally, TT will see these huge contracts LTs are signing, AND have McNally helping him.

I think that Teague moving to LT is every bit as likely MW going there.

MW did improve toward the middle/end of last season at RT, but I would like to see more.

Teague otoh has LT experience, seems to have bulked up a bit, and is imo more agile than Big Mike. Additionally, TT will see these huge contracts LTs are signing, AND have McNally helping him.

258336[/snapback]

I think that is a likely scenario, too......but what do you think we'd do with the center position? Free agent? Tucker?

I think that is a likely scenario, too......but what do you think we'd do with the center position? Free agent?  Tucker?

258342[/snapback]

If Teague moves to LT, then we'd have to sign a center. Luckily, Rabach or Hamilton would fit nicely. I also think signing a guard and center is cheaper then signing a guard and left tackle.

If Teague moves to LT, then we'd have to sign a center.  Luckily, Rabach or Hamilton would fit nicely.  I also think signing a guard and center is cheaper then signing a guard and left tackle.

258344[/snapback]

I would have no problem with Teague at LT if we did what you said.......Teague is more than servicable if we solidify the interior of the line. Teague may be a step slower than JJ, but JP is two steps faster than Drew.......I like it

258336[/snapback]

That is a possiblity but the problem with that scenario is that if it works, you are right back to having two guys getting LT money which just isn't in the budget. I would be willing to bet that MW is one of the most highly paid RT's in the game and that is just off of his rookie contract. We are overpaying for a RT and that is a problem that needs fixing at some point.