TD is definitely a frustrating guy

Rubes

Let me just start off by saying that I am a big supporter of TD. I think he's done a solid job so far for this team with what he was given. I also do keep in mind that his record with us is less than stellar, and we have yet to get to the playoffs with him, so I try to keep things in perspective.

He's a frustrating guy, though.

I try not to put too much into what I read in the articles, particularly when it comes from agents, but this treatment of JJ and PW is just puzzling.

I don't know what TD's plans are for this team, and probably nobody in the media does, either. If he wants to go another direction with regard to LT and DT, that's his call. But why hint to everyone that we "may not be able to keep them" and then, apparently, not even give it a try?

He supposedly never contacted the players or their agents before the deadline, even though the suggestion was that he might try to keep at least one of them. Why deal that way with two players that have been here their whole careers? Why not just tell them "thanks" for all of their contributions to the team, but that we are probably going to look elsewhere?

It would just be nice to know what the heck is going on in his head. It seems so odd on the outside.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me just start off by saying that I am a big supporter of TD. I think he's done a solid job so far for this team with what he was given. I also do keep in mind that his record with us is less than stellar, and we have yet to get to the playoffs with him, so I try to keep things in perspective.

He's a frustrating guy, though.

I try not to put too much into what I read in the articles, particularly when it comes from agents, but this treatment of JJ and PW is just puzzling.

I don't know what TD's plans are for this team, and probably nobody in the media does, either. If he wants to go another direction with regard to LT and DT, that's his call. But why hint to everyone that we "may not be able to keep them" and then, apparently, not even give it a try?

He supposedly never contacted the players or their agents before the deadline, even though the suggestion was that he might try to keep at least one of them. Why deal that way with two players that have been here their whole careers? Why not just tell them "thanks" for all of their contributions to the team, but that we are probably going to look elsewhere?

It would just be nice to know what the heck is going on in his head. It seems so odd on the outside.

258097[/snapback]

Now we're going to start believing the word of players and their agents? I must have missed the memo.

Now we're going to start believing the word of players and their agents?  I must have missed the memo.

258098[/snapback]

You do have such a way with words.

Now we're going to start believing the word of players and their agents?  I must have missed the memo.

258098[/snapback]

On second thought, maybe I'll say something to that.

I didn't necessarily imply that what we have heard from JJ/PW and their agents is the absolute truth (which is why I said "I try not to put too much into what I read in the articles, particularly when it comes from agents"). All I'm saying is that's all we've heard, from either side. If TD would just come out and say something, it would help.

Granted, he has no particular reason to say anything, certainly he doesn't have to say anything just to ease the fan's minds. But it would just be helpful. As such, he's a little frustrating. That's all.

Maybe he has made some offers but they felt insulted a bit and didn't want to stir anything up to embarrass themselves further. Who knows?

I can see why he would let Pat walk if he likes what he sees with Anderson and Edwards as a tag team besides Big Sam.

Not making an offer to Jonas is a bit puzzling unless he's got his eyes on somebody else ou there.

On second thought, maybe I'll say something to that.

I didn't necessarily imply that what we have heard from JJ/PW and their agents is the absolute truth (which is why I said "I try not to put too much into what I read in the articles, particularly when it comes from agents"). All I'm saying is that's all we've heard, from either side. If TD would just come out and say something, it would help.

Granted, he has no particular reason to say anything, certainly he doesn't have to say anything just to ease the fan's minds. But it would just be helpful. As such, he's a little frustrating. That's all.

258100[/snapback]

I hear where you're coming from...But I think TD believes he's said enough...I mean, maybe it's just me, but this Off Season start seemed pretty obvious. TD has made it clear The Bills would love to have Jennings and Williams back but he's also made it pretty clear The Bills can't afford either if they are after "Market Value." There's really not much to say. Both UFA's are likely to get a lot more than The Bills could afford. It's pretty much that simple...It's common practice for GM's to be tight lipped...I mean granted TD does not say much, but he did not write the book on the manner either...

I would love to hear TD lay the whole Off Season Plan out, but that's just not his way...I imagine he feels that's best for the Plan overall, and I don't necessarily disagree...I guess... :D

For the life of me I just don't understand why so many people on here are keep freaking out about JJ and PW. How do you expect TD to handle this situation? Right now PW is trying to increase his leverage on TD by making outrageous contract demands. We all know TD is not going to over pay so he is just going to do what he has done for the past few seasons. This means waiting for the free agents to have their value determined by the market and then moving forward.

He knows we can't afford to pay PW 5 million a year, same goes for JJ. Just like in years past he is going to wait to see if their value gets lowered. If the demands get lowered to realistic levels he will then begin negotiations. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but in todays NFL it is the only way to manage the cap for the long term.

1. Jennings - Someone will overpay him and kill their cap.

2. Williams - IF he's not offered an insane signing bonus, TD may match the offer and he's back here.

I think he's doing the right thing in both instances. Let the off-season play out before surrendering hope for 2005.

1. Jennings - Someone will overpay him and kill their cap.

2. Williams - IF he's not offered an insane signing bonus, TD may match the offer and he's back here.

I think he's doing the right thing in both instances. Let the off-season play out before surrendering hope for 2005.

258133[/snapback]

Well said. TD's first priority is not, nor should it be, explaining every tactic in the way he handles free agency. Roster building is like sausage making. Just give me a decent roster on opening day.

i think the disrespect he's shown PW and JJ have burned bridges here......and i'm sure it has not gone unnoticed by other players on the roster........the fact he stated he wanted them both back then never even made an effort makes him look like a hypocrite........

i know it is very unpopular to take shots at TD on this board, but i do not like his style when it comes to dealing with his own impending free agents........i think he made a mistake by not attempting to sign either guy........

i think the disrespect he's shown PW and JJ have burned bridges here......and i'm sure it has not gone unnoticed by other players on the roster........the fact he stated he wanted them both back then never even made an effort makes him look like a hypocrite........

i know it is very unpopular to take shots at TD on this board, but i do not like his style when it comes to dealing with his own impending free agents........i think he made a mistake by not attempting to sign either guy........

258208[/snapback]

:D

Let's face it - the last thing one can call TD is "sentimental".

I imagine belicek was called a lot of dirty names in the past - he handles his players like meat on hte spit when it comes to $$. Obviously it has paid off bigtime.

As to the JJ and PW - JJ isclearly gone. But his loss is due to his salary demands. Period. Obviously we all prefer he stay but the Bills can't afford to over pay for him - the question is folks, can the bils afford to pay a fair value for him? The answer is moot since he is going tot he highest bidder and someone WILL over pay (thus my conclusion JJ is gone). BTW: Last year was the only year he did not miss time with a high ankle sprain.

As to PW - I do think TD is trying to get him "on the cheap" and is holding up Sam Adams' contract as his selling point. All of you angry with TD, have you looked at Sam's deal? Do you realize the Bils are only paying him $2,625,000 in TOTAL cap this year? Now, PW wants at least 5 mil. so his agent says.

Who's closer to the true value pf PW? (TD's version or PW?) IMO, TD should look at the offer PW gets and if it is in between Sam's and PW's, then sign him. BTW, there is the danger of overpaying PAT and ticking off Sam.

I'd prefe to keep PW only if we can get him for numbers close to Sam's, otherwise, promote from within (at the same time, there are a few decent players on the market who could come cheap - Jason Ferguson or Leonardo Carson come to mind). The Bills don't need to have the number 2 defense to go to the playoffs. We do need to outscore our oppenents. I'd prefer TD use his money to get us the best team possible (duh)

Losing JJ is big but the Bills do have $8-9 mil to play with. Plus we have Travis to deal.

Let's see what happens and hold off crucifying TD. Besides, TD's entire Bills existence is in the hands of JP now. Everyone knows this.

-rnj

at the same time, there are a few decent players on the market who could come cheap - Jason Ferguson or Leonardo Carson come to mind

258232[/snapback]

ferguson is going to the cowboys and will help, not hurt, williams' bargaing power when the terms of his deal are released...........

Let's face it - the last thing one can call TD is "sentimental".

I imagine belicek was called a lot of dirty names in the past - he handles his players like meat on hte spit when it comes to $$. Obviously it has paid off bigtime.

As to the JJ and PW - JJ isclearly gone. But his loss is due to his salary demands. Period. Obviously we all prefer he stay but the Bills can't afford to over pay for him - the question is folks, can the bils afford to pay a fair value for him? The answer is moot since he is going tot he highest bidder and someone WILL over pay (thus my conclusion JJ is gone). BTW: Last year was the only year he did not miss time with a high ankle sprain.

As to PW - I do think TD is trying to get him "on the cheap" and is holding up Sam Adams' contract as his selling point. All of you angry with TD, have you looked at Sam's deal? Do you realize the Bils are only paying him  $2,625,000 in TOTAL cap this year? Now, PW wants at least 5 mil. so his agent says.

Who's closer to the true value pf PW? (TD's version or PW?) IMO, TD should look at the offer PW gets and if it is in between Sam's and PW's, then sign him. BTW, there is the danger of overpaying PAT and ticking off Sam.

I'd prefe to keep PW only if we can get him for numbers close to Sam's, otherwise, promote from within (at the same time, there are a few decent players on the market who could come cheap - Jason Ferguson or Leonardo Carson come to mind). The Bills don't need to have the number 2 defense to go to the playoffs. We do need to outscore our oppenents. I'd prefer TD use his money to get us the best team possible (duh)

Losing JJ is big but the Bills do have $8-9 mil to play with. Plus we have Travis to deal.

Let's see what happens and hold off crucifying TD. Besides, TD's entire Bills existence is in the hands of JP now. Everyone knows this.

-rnj

258232[/snapback]

Teflon Tom. I'm sure he'll avoid any kind of ill will this year with a quick "Well JP's virtually a rookie" argument.

my #1 concern this year is OL. OL OL and more OL. They should spend the entire draft on OL.

:D

258208[/snapback]

Bupkis. If it's "disrespectful" to not throw money around like Daniel Snyder or Jerry Jones, then too bad PW and JJ. Other than Jeff Posey, who has TD ever signed within minutes of the FA period beginning?

258208[/snapback]

Some questions on this:

How do you KNOW TD never made an effort?

Are you basing this on the words of the player and/or his agent?

Is it possible that TD is waiting to see what offers are made to JJ & PW and then they'll consider matching those?

Is it possible that TD is in either case letting the market determine the value FIRST rather than making an offer that might be above market?

Just some food for thought. I would argue that we (the fans) simply do not have enough information with which to make informed judgements about how TD is handling free agency. The bottom line is, his record in this area has been pretty good, he has managed the cap well while at the same time has NOT had trouble luring free agents to Buffalo, as is claimed EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Time will tell.

How do you KNOW TD never made an effort? Are you basing this on the words of the player and/or his agent? 

believe whatever you want.........no doubt in my mind that TD has not made any effort to sign either since early last summer.......

Is it possible that TD is waiting to see what offers are made to JJ & PW and then they'll consider matching those? 

if i'm JJ & PW, i wouldn't even give TD a chance to.........he's had a long time to make an effort, and he hasn't even tried.........

Is it possible that TD is in either case letting the market determine the value FIRST rather than making an offer that might be above market?

that isn't the way you handle players you want back.......like i said, if i'm the player i wouldn't even give him a chance now........they have watched other players around the league resign with their current clubs, read about many other clubs that have tried to work out deals with potential UFA's in the days leading up to free agency, and their GM doesn't even think enough of them to make an effort........i think that is insulting to players........

258208[/snapback]

Quick, give me a list of any and all UFA of the Bills in the three years he has been here that TD didn't resign and should have. There must be dozens. Or tens. Or, well, there must be several. Four at least. Two for sure. Okay, so there must be one.