Please define the role of each...

In just A couple sentences. Between BBMB and here I've been scrolling through for about 10 years and there always seems to be some murkiness on who deserve praise and who deserves criticism. Hopefully we can come up with some agreement here.

Owner:

Top of the hierarchy. Responisble for finding the GM and has input in head coach searching. Handles more off field decisions than on field (ie relocations)

GM:

Responisble for finding the players suitable to head coach's needs. Be it through draft, FA, or trades. He (typically) is the lead man in finding the HC. Basically he finds a HC that fits his views. Shouldn't be constantly butting heads with ideas of direction going forward.

HC:

Responsible for bringing together the talent he has as well as final say over the coordinators. Typically oversees more of one side of the ball and allows the opposite side's coordinator take the reigns of that side. Can be the playcaller but typically handles more of the in-game decisions like going for it on fourth downs and depth charts. More often than not affects the attitude/culture of the team (see Jauron culture vs. Rex culture). Disciplined, men of intergrity vs. high level of ability, but knuckleheaded. You get the idea.

OC:

Responible solely for the offense (no-duh). Puts together gameplans. Either builds plans around the players or has players try to fit their already established plans. Reports directly to HC

DC:

See OC only on defense (again, no-duh)

Positional coaches:

Fine tuning of position groups. Teaches tricks of the trade.

Edited by BILLiever55

In just A couple sentences. Between BBMB and here I've been scrolling through for about 10 years and there always seems to be some murkiness on who deserve praise and who deserves criticism. Hopefully we can come up with some agreement here.

Owner:

Top of the hierarchy. Responisble for finding the GM and has input in head coach searching. Handles more off field decisions than on field (ie relocations)

GM:

Responisble for finding the players suitable to head coach's needs. Be it through draft, FA, or trades.

HC:

Responsible for bringing together the talent he has as well as final say over the coordinators. Typically oversees more of one side of the ball and allows the opposite side's coordinator take the reigns of that side. More often than not affects the attitude/culture of the team (see Jauron culture vs. Rex culture). Disciplined, men of intergrity vs. high level of ability, but knuckleheaded. You get the idea.

OC:

Responible solely for the offense (no-duh). Puts together gameplans. Either builds plans around the players or has players try to fit their already established plans.

DC:

See OC only on defense (again, no-duh)

Positional coaches:

That's not a Football GM. That's an errand boy.

That's not a Football GM. That's an errand boy.

I am intrgiued by what you'd define him as. I forgot to add however that he (typically) is the lead man in finding the HC. Basically he finds a HC that fits his views. Shouldn't be constantly butting heads with ideas of direction going forward.

Owner:
The dude or dudette that owns the team
GM:
The dude that signs players after the capologist works their magic

HC:
the dude that throws his headset or Microsoft tablet when the OC or DC make a mistake

OC:
the dude in charge of offense.

DC:
the dude in charge of defense

Positional coaches:
dudes that are friends with the head coach

I am intrgiued by what you'd define him as. I forgot to add however that he (typically) is the lead man in finding the HC. Basically he finds a HC that fits his views. Shouldn't be constantly butting heads with ideas of direction going forward.

Well, it does not appear Whaley hired Rex or McDermott. He also has to deal with an ownership structure that is based on chaos and does not work.

Edited by jeffismagic

Well, it does not appear Whaley hired Rex or McDermott. He also has to deal with an ownership structure that is based on chaos and does not work.

If you get to speak to the press you can craft your comments to make you look like a standy-by nothing for a bad season and all the glory for a 14-2 season.

Clearly the GM role differs depending on the organization.

Who handles the players day-to-day outside of "on field" issues? In some (few) teams it is the coach. In many it is the GM.

Who is the face of the front office? Again, it's normally split between what happened in-game (coach) and "everything else" (GM).

The trust an organization places in a GM can probably be seen better in who is representing the team publically. Most of the time we fans won't really know who pulled trigger on a player decision - through the gamut of whether drafting/FA prioritization, deciding to choose/sign, financial considerations, etc - but we can see who the team chooses to place front and center.

Clearly the GM role differs depending on the organization.

Who handles the players day-to-day outside of "on field" issues? In some (few) teams it is the coach. In many it is the GM.

Who is the face of the front office? Again, it's normally split between what happened in-game (coach) and "everything else" (GM).

The trust an organization places in a GM can probably be seen better in who is representing the team publically. Most of the time we fans won't really know who pulled trigger on a player decision - through the gamut of whether drafting/FA prioritization, deciding to choose/sign, financial considerations, etc - but we can see who the team chooses to place front and center.

Exactly. Every organization front office is run differently.

On the Patriots, all of the personnel decisions are made by the Head Coach (Bill Belichick). On the Cowboys, all of the personnel decisions are made by the owner (Jerry Jones). These were two of the most successful franchises in football last year, and neither operates with a GM at the top of the pyramid.

I see people calling Doug Whaley a "weak" GM, or claiming the guy is trying to duck responsibility for team failures. Neither of those things is necessarily true. Although it isn't the model Bills fans are accustomed to, it's not rare for the hiring of a Head Coach to be done by someone other than the GM. And few GMs in this league have seen the strange ownership/front office/coaching staff turnover as Whaley has been forced to endure.

Consider Whaley's history here for a second:

1. Most GMs are brought into failing organizations from the outside. Whaley sat behind Buddy Nix (as Assistant GM/Director of Player Personnel) for 4 full drafts before getting promoted to the job. So while most GMs are starting with a clean slate, Whaley always has the decisions of his predecessor hanging over his head. Especially the 2013 draft.

2. The front office changes have been ridiculous. Doug Marrone was hired before Whaley officially took over the GM position. A season later, Ralph Wilson died and there were questions whether the team would even remain in Buffalo. Then Marrone quit. The Pegulas flirted with hiring Bill Polian to take over for Whaley before finally settling on Rex Ryan. Of course, Ryan then lasted less than 2 seasons.

3. The Bills have changed defensive coordinators every season (Pettine, Schwartz, Thurman, Ryan, Frazier) since Whaley stepped onto the job. That can't be easy for continuity.

This is why I've been willing to grant some patience to Doug Whaley, while most others are calling for his head. But my patience is nearing it's end. This will be Whaley's 4th full off-season assembling a roster. So far, we haven't gotten better in the win column. The roster is full of holes, and we don't have a ton of cap space. Like his predecessors, Whaley's drafts have been filled with too many misses and busts. In my opinion, next week will be his last chance. Whaley doesn't need a home run. He needs a grand slam and this team to make the playoffs. Anything less than I'll be leading the charge to kick him out myself.

So what's your definition?

As with every organization it differs in sports and business.

If majority ownership is corporate with hands-off owners, it's a lot different than rich people thinking they can give their input as owners of a sports franchise.

So what's your definition?

A Football General Manager should have a strong vision of how to build and create a football team than can compete and win a championship.

His job is to assemble an elite scouting staff as well as find the right coach to get the most out of the players. On draft day, he makes the call. Not the owner, not the coach. He of course knows the schemes the team is running but drafts based on not just short term but long term organizational goals.

A Football General Manager should have a strong vision of how to build and create a football team than can compete and win a championship.

His job is to assemble an elite scouting staff as well as find the right coach to get the most out of the players. On draft day, he makes the call. Not the owner, not the coach. He of course knows the schemes the team is running but drafts based on not just short term but long term organizational goals.

That sounds like what Whaley is doing. I know you believe he is not making the calls.

Kudos....when I opened this I was 99 percent sure TT would be in here somewhere and it wasnt

Owner:
Sets goals, work culture. Has regular reviews/meetings with management and holds them accountable.

GM:

Most vital task is ensuring the roster is properly managed. Consults with HC, Owner on player personnel moves but has ultimate final say on roster.

HC:
Responsible for all on-field actions by players/assistants...most importantly game management functions such as clock management, replays, tempo, strategy. May have expertise in one particular area but main responsibility is to ensure that all 3 phases ( Special Teams, Offense, and Defense) work together in a cohesive fashion. Should delegate things such as play calling, scheme, technique teaching as much as possible to assistants. Responsible for developing relationship with players and balancing morale and discipline. Reports directly to the GM.

COORDINATORS :Responsible for scheme, technique and execution of their phase of the game ( defense, special teams, offense). Should defer to head coach on game day to ensure that strategy/play calling meshes with other 2 phases. Reports to head coach.

Positional coaches:

Edited by Bocephuz

It was murky through most of Ralph's ownership, and has unfortunately somehow gotten even murkier under the Pegulas. And that murkiness will continue to be this organization's downfall.

No clear accountability when everyone of importance answers directly to the owner, and that owner isn't a "Football Guy".

It doesnt matter how we define the roles, there are a few different ways to do it. What's important is the Bills clearly defining them within the organization.