Recent draft history shows 1st rd QBs more likely to fail

It's a stupid argument. He's saying out of 26 QBs only eight are successes. But if you read all the way to the end you see he's also saying the jury is out on eight more and he's including Jameis and Mariota in that group, not among the successes.

That leaves eight successes and ten failures. That's not bad odds.

Absolutely they would redshirt a guy like Trubisky if they took him. That's probably a large part of the reason that Tyrod is still here. You're right that if Tyrod were injured things would look a bit different, but IMHO that would be Yates time.

Is Yates a shoe in? Would be fair to argue, Jones would have to either take that backup role by the haunches or do you expose him to waivers trying to sneak him to the practice squad?

Meaning, is it plausable they force Cardale into that back up role in order to protect him? Unless they carry four QB, which seems unlikely.

Therefore, would be hard pressed to assume our firsy rounder wouldn't be able to beat out Jones. Not as if Jones will have a huge leg up in the system. Totally new to him as well.

Or, on the flipside, they don't preclude themselves frok keeping the best backup option. Which in my eyes will be Yates and then your really can sit a guy because Yates should be serviceable.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Yates a shoe in? Would be fair to argue, Jones would have to either take that backup role by the haunches or do you expose him to waivers trying to sneak him to the practice squad?

Meaning, is it plausable they force Cardale into that back up role in order to protect him? Unless they carry four QB, which seems unlikely.

Therefore, would be hard pressed to assume our firsy rounder wouldn't be able to beat out Jones. Not as if Jones will have a huge leg up in the system. Totally new to him as well.

Or, on the flipside, they don't preclude themselves frok keeping the best backup option. Which in my eyes will be Yates and then your really can sit a guy because Yates should be serviceable.

I don't think it's as unlikely as some that they carry four QBs. I think it's a logical step for a team at this stage of development.

Cardale was always considered a two or three year project. I haven't a clue if he'll ever be a good one, but even if he does, he probably isn't there yet.

So no, IMHO, not a shoo-in but that's my opinion of most likely result.

1) Tyrod

2) Yates

With them keeping Cardale and maybe even another guy if they draft one.

The plan was for all those guys in '04 to sit.

Eli was pushed into action over a Hall of Famer in Warner. Big Ben got thrust into action due to injury, Rivers sat behind a future hall of Famer and Losman sat with a broken leg...

But, if you look back in the day none of those big times guys sat...

Elway, Marino, Aikman, Peyton Manning, Bradshaw, etc...

Fact of the matter is there is no real correlation between sitting and having success. Does it lend it's hand to allowing a guy to take in the rigors of the NFL, yes.

However, there is no substitute for live game action. You can do all the film study in the world. Have the best seats in the house directly on the sideline and still not translate it.

Heck, how long did Tyrod sit behind Flacco? Yet, many, my self included don't envision Tyrod as the future here.

There's no correlation between sitting and success because some guys need it and some guys don't. Some guys are NFL-ready and some are developmental. The NFL-ready guys aren't helped by sitting more than they would be by playing fairly badly. The developmental ones are.

And nobody argues - nobody - that sitting is some kind of a guarantee for anybody. Some guys just won't be good enough and sitting won't help. Some would be helped a ton.

The plan was for all those guys in '04 to sit.

Eli was pushed into action over a Hall of Famer in Warner. Big Ben got thrust into action due to injury, Rivers sat behind a future hall of Famer and Losman sat with a broken leg...

But, if you look back in the day none of those big times guys sat...

Elway, Marino, Aikman, Peyton Manning, Bradshaw, etc...

Fact of the matter is there is no real correlation between sitting and having success. Does it lend it's hand to allowing a guy to take in the rigors of the NFL, yes.

However, there is no substitute for live game action. You can do all the film study in the world. Have the best seats in the house directly on the sideline and still not translate it.

Heck, how long did Tyrod sit behind Flacco? Yet, many, my self included don't envision Tyrod as the future here.

There's no correlation between sitting and success because some guys need it and some guys don't. Some guys are NFL-ready and some are developmental. The NFL-ready guys aren't helped by sitting more than they would be by playing fairly badly. The developmental ones are.

And nobody argues - nobody - that sitting is some kind of a guarantee for anybody. Some guys just won't be good enough and sitting won't help. Some would be helped a ton.

There are a ton of young qbs who are ruined because they play too early, struggle, & then get tossed aside. .

Name one.

4) the NFL badly needs a minor league.

Yeah, the NFL is really struggling, isn't it? No one watches any more...

It's never been more conducive for a rookie QB to play right away in the NFL. It's still not easy, just more forgiving given the rule changes and more PI, roughing the QB, etc.. And teams have responded with their offensive philosophy and prioritized QB play.

This idea it's so hard to get a QB and a team is better off addressing other positions is so defeatist. It's as bad as DJ saying "it's hard to win in the NFL." Of course it is. That doesn't mean you don't try.

There's risk to everything. No one just hands you a playoff appearance or a franchise QB.