Do you use Facebook or Instagram?

Another Fan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On both for business. I hate to get too invested in IG since Facebook owns it, and I figure it is just a matter of time before the algorithm screws up IG as badly as it did Facebook. The Facebook model of "businesses pay Facebook to advertise for followers so that businesses can pay forever more to get into those same followers streams" only benefits Facebook.

As an aside: love twitter (I don't post politics, so am not shadowbanned), and have a large Pinterest following (also the only "social media" (yeah yeah, I know it is really a search engine) I have invested in... now just waiting for that IPO so I can get my money out).

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

During the election my wife and my sister had to block my mother on Facebook. It was actually a really big deal, and feelings were hurt. My Mom is a staunch conservative and a Trump supporter, and she was posting all this awful, hate-filled Trump propaganda stuff. Some of it was very graphic and disturbing (abortion stuff), and other stuff was downright racist. I think they're all "friends" again now, but it was pretty ugly for a while there. I just laughed at how ridiculous they all were being.

Crazy!

I look better brother!!!

You're believing all those Facebook moms' comments!

On both for business. I hate to get too invested in IG since Facebook owns it, and I figure it is just a matter of time before the algorithm screws up IG as badly as it did Facebook. The Facebook model of "businesses pay Facebook to advertise for followers so that businesses can pay forever more to get into those same followers streams" only benefits Facebook.

As an aside: love twitter (I don't post politics, so am not shadowbanned), and have a large Pinterest following (also the only "social media" (yeah yeah, I know it is really a search engine) I have invested in... now just waiting for that IPO so I can get my money out).

i can't get in to pinterest. i go there for ideas, haven't joined, but there is so much topical stuff there. especially on modern agriculture for the average home/homestead. it gets overwhelming even for me and i know a few things about ag.

twitter is just for active times of free agency - hootlet - and i just follow who Yolo follows. i don't like following individuals and don't even know my own log in.

instagram is a lot of fun. i follow millennial girls because it's fun watching them seemingly believe life is all about every single moment of their life and it will be tremendous forever. all i ever post there are things from my farm. i follow of a few folks from here, though. captain hindsight might be my favorite on there because he doesn't post a lot but posts pretty cool nature stuff.

i can't get in to pinterest. i go there for ideas, haven't joined, but there is so much topical stuff there. especially on modern agriculture for the average home/homestead. it gets overwhelming even for me and i know a few things about ag.

twitter is just for active times of free agency - hootlet - and i just follow who Yolo follows. i don't like following individuals and don't even know my own log in.

instagram is a lot of fun. i follow millennial girls because it's fun watching them seemingly believe life is all about every single moment of their life and it will be tremendous forever. all i ever post there are things from my farm. i follow of a few folks from here, though. captain hindsight might be my favorite on there because he doesn't post a lot but posts pretty cool nature stuff.

I am not sure you would like any tips about Pinterest, but just in case...

1) Pinterest is better if you have an account. (A LOT better.) You can make up a few boards to save the items that do interest you: Homesteading, Gardening, Sports (The Bills and the Sabres Pinterest boards are HORRIBLE. Whoever is running that account should be fired.), etc.

2) Unlike traditional search engines (google, yahoo, bing) that search better with keyword phrases "How do I plant a cucumber garden", Pinterest works better with keywords "cucumber gardening"

3) Once you get that search term, you can choose pins, people or boards (you can follow whole boards on topics, some very niche).

4) You can follow people/businesses who you are interested in, or simply follow a board from that account.

5) Once you follow people, the little "P" symbol (upper left) will get you your stream (all the pins your followers pin, or that are pinned to their group boards).

6) Pinterest uses "smartfeed" so you are never swamped with a Pinners pins (I will pin 30 items in 15 minutes and then not look at Pinterest until the next day, but those pins I pinned will not be released to my followers all at once, it is more of a trickle release).

7) Most of Pinterest's use is on mobile or ipad, so download the app. (I use desktop exclusively, and no app needed on desktop)

Since you mentioned homesteading as an interest, you may want to look at this account:

https://www.pinterest.com/memphisstjames/

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

I am not sure you would like any tips about Pinterest, but just in case...

1) Pinterest is better if you have an account. (A LOT better.) You can make up a few boards to save the items that do interest you: Homesteading, Gardening, Sports (The Bills and the Sabres Pinterest boards are HORRIBLE. Whoever is running that account should be fired.), etc.

2) Unlike traditional search engines (google, yahoo, bing) that search better with keyword phrases "How do I plant a cucumber garden", Pinterest works better with keywords "cucumber gardening"

3) Once you get that search term, you can choose pins, people or boards (you can follow whole boards on topics, some very niche).

4) You can follow people/businesses who you are interested in, or simply follow a board from that account.

5) Once you follow people, the little "P" symbol (upper left) will get you your stream (all the pins your followers pin, or that are pinned to their group boards).

6) Pinterest uses "smartfeed" so you are never swamped with a Pinners pins (I will pin 30 items in 15 minutes and then not look at Pinterest until the next day, but those pins I pinned will not be released to my followers all at once, it is more of a trickle release).

7) Most of Pinterest's use is on mobile or ipad, so download the app. (I use desktop exclusively, and no app needed on desktop)

Since you mentioned homesteading as an interest, you may want to look at this account:

https://www.pinterest.com/memphisstjames/

I already have an Etsy account and crochet. Might as well join Interest. Crud. Thanks for the tips. There is always great stuff there just so deep and overwhelming

I already have an Etsy account and crochet. Might as well join Interest. Crud. Thanks for the tips. There is always great stuff there just so deep and overwhelming

If you have an etsy account and sell, you really should be on Pinterest. Name your account the same name as your etsy account, leave a link to your etsy account in your profile, and have your first board be "Best of TheNameofMyEtsyAcccount".

Pinterest is a great way to get your goods in front of a whole new audience for free (you could pay to promote too, but free is better). If you are not quite sure what you are doing, take a Pinterest course (or two... I took five when I first started as I wanted to make sure I knew everything there was to know about Pinterest). It could really up your game!

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

I love Facebook for nostalgia and sharing of old photographs. Not necessarily personal photos, but just old musician photos, old magazine ads..old pin-ups...stuff like that. I used to spend a lot more time here, but I'm afraid Facebook stole away most of my internet down time.

Honestly, I've tried Twitter, but it give me a headache looking at it...I guess I am old..I hate seeing the same poorly written thoughts re-posted 30 times...after a while, it is hard to keep track of who is saying what...

Edited by Buftex