Mets fans?

Another Fan

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

Syndergaard to the Dodgers.  One year, $13 million.  Angels gave him $21 million for one year last season.

If anybody can get the most out of him, it's 'The Evil Empire' of the NL.

What might have been with the trio of deGrom, Harvey and Syndergaard...

11 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

@ExWNYer @Gugny @Another Fan

Mets just signed a catcher to a two year $15 mil deal. 30 year old, former All Star whose 2022 hitting stats were marginally better than McCann.

Esplain it to me. Mentor for Alvarez? McCann to be traded for a bullpen arm? 

Good question. My guess would be along the lines of what you said. Nido & Narvaez would hold the fort/mentor Alvarez until he is ready and maybe it's a precursor to shipping McCann to Texas, if deGrom really does want him as his personal catcher. I'd imagine that the Mets would have to eat most of the money to do it though, not that it matters to Cohen. I would take a half used roll of tape for McCann at this point. It would be akin to burning incense in the clubhouse to rid it of his bad mojo.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Good question. My guess would be along the lines of what you said. Nido & Narvaez would hold the fort/mentor Alvarez until he is ready and maybe it's a precursor to shipping McCann to Texas, if deGrom really does want him as his personal catcher. I'd imagine that the Mets would have to eat most of the money to do it though, not that it matters to Cohen. I would take a half used roll of tape for McCann at this point. It would be akin to burning incense in the clubhouse to rid it of his bad mojo.

A friend had an interesting comment: with the rule changes this year base-stealing will be a bigger deal.  But I did a quick stat check and it doesn't look like new guy is great at throwing out runners.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

@ExWNYer @Gugny @Another Fan

Mets just signed a catcher to a two year $15 mil deal. 30 year old, former All Star whose 2022 hitting stats were marginally better than McCann.

Esplain it to me. Mentor for Alvarez? McCann to be traded for a bullpen arm? 

11 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Yep.  My guess is that McCann will be traded and Alvarez will start the season in AAA while Nido and Narvarez (lefty batter) platoon.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Yep.  My guess is that McCann will be traded and Alvarez will start the season in AAA while Nido and Narvarez (lefty batter) platoon.

I'll be disappointed if Alvarez starts the year in AAA. Maybe they carry three catchers to start the year and Alvarez gets at bats at DH and spot starts behind the plate.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I'll be disappointed if Alvarez starts the year in AAA. Maybe they carry three catchers to start the year and Alvarez gets at bats at DH and spot starts behind the plate.

That would be my preference, too. 

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

@Gugny @SinceThe70s @Another Fan

Per Ken Rosenthal, the Mets re-signed Adam Ottavino to a two-year contract today. I love it!

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/mets-adam-ottavino-remains-in-queens/

Nice! Saw your post when I came here to post the rumor that their looking into a trade for White Sox closer Liam Hendricks.  No info on what they'd give up but I assume it would be a White Sox salary dump.

https://nypost.com/2022/12/20/mets-interested-in-white-sox-all-star-closer-liam-hendriks/ 

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

Nice! Saw your post when I came here to post the rumor that their looking into a trade for White Sox closer Liam Hendricks.  No info on what they'd give up but I assume it would be a White Sox salary dump.

https://nypost.com/2022/12/20/mets-interested-in-white-sox-all-star-closer-liam-hendriks/ 

That may not happen now with Otto back in the fold. I'd still look into it, if I were Eppler.  BTW, that two-year deal might end up only being a one-year deal as there is a player opt out after 2023. 

• Like (+1) 1

Mets swoop in to sign Carlos Correa to a 12-year, $315 million deal after Giants' mess, per report

O...M...G

LET'S GO!!!

chris farley surprise GIF

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mets-swoop-in-to-sign-carlos-correa-to-a-12-year-315-million-deal-per-report/

https://www.mlb.com/news/carlos-correa-mets-deal

Just now, ExWNYer said:

Mets swoop in to sign Carlos Correa to a 12-year, $315 million deal after Giants' mess, per report

O...M...G

LET'S GO!!!

chris farley surprise GIF

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mets-swoop-in-to-sign-carlos-correa-to-a-12-year-315-million-deal-per-report/

https://www.mlb.com/news/carlos-correa-mets-deal

HOLY CRAP!

Well, I guess we don't need to hope Baty is the real deal anymore.  

19 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Per Ken Rosenthal, the Mets re-signed Adam Ottavino to a two-year contract today. I love it!

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/mets-adam-ottavino-remains-in-queens/

Not sure how I missed this, but I'm seeing it now.  GREAT NEWS!!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

HOLY CRAP!

Well, I guess we don't need to hope Baty is the real deal anymore.  

Not sure how I missed this, but I'm seeing it now.  GREAT NEWS!!

With the Cohen-owned Mets outspending EVERYONE, the Bills making the playoffs four straight years and being yearly Super Bowl contenders, and the Sabres leading the NHL in goals scored and maybe finally turning the corner, I feel like I am living in an alternate universe. 

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

@Gugny @ExWNYer @Another Fan

Posted this quote from Cohen earlier wrt the terms of the contract

“What the heck’s the difference? If you’re going to make the move make the move,” 

TBH, I'm not thrilled with a 12 year deal for pretty much anyone - but money is no object anymore. 

Yeah, I feel like we're all anti-mega deals, but it's just a sign of the times.  With no salary cap, this is simply what the teams who want the best chance win it all do.

I guess my only concern is that if the Mets DO win it all, then we'd be looking at a major salary dump and go back to a middle of the road team.

My initial reaction to that thought?  I don't give a f*ck.  I want a World Series win.

Just now, Gugny said:

Yeah, I feel like we're all anti-mega deals, but it's just a sign of the times.  With no salary cap, this is simply what the teams who want the best chance win it all do.

I guess my only concern is that if the Mets DO win it all, then we'd be looking at a major salary dump and go back to a middle of the road team.

My initial reaction to that thought?  I don't give a f*ck.  I want a World Series win.

I don't get the impression that Cohen would dump salary after a WS win. I think high-priced, long-term deals is just something we'll have to get used to. I'm more than willing to try :)

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

I don't get the impression that Cohen would dump salary after a WS win. I think high-priced, long-term deals is just something we'll have to get used to. I'm more than willing to try :)

Yeah, that's the hope ... George Steinbrenner 2.0.  I've been wanting that for a long, long time.  After the Wilpon-era, Mets fans deserve this.

Just now, Gugny said:

I don't see Cohen running a Marlins-type 'win it and dump them' franchise. He didn't become the richest owner in baseball by just throwing away his money. They have said on more than one occasion that they will be doing this to win a World Series (or more) until they have a top farm system and are strong players in the international pool (Senga is already a sign of that). Even Cohen knows spending this much is not sustainable but this is how he wants to do it until they have everything in place where they can infuse homegrown talent with big acquisitions, as needed. I like that he has a vision and a possible successful business plan, unlike Fred & Jeff 'Coupon'. Whether it's money, a great farm system, or trades just use every means possible to win a ring(s). No other Met regime has ever done this. It's a new era. Move over Dodgers and Skanks. There's another big player at the table.

• Like (+1) 2

Hallelujah!

For the infamous 'player to be named later'. If so, pretty close to my half-used roll of tape reference. :devil:

"McCann has been traded to the Orioles along with cash considerations in exchange for a player to be named later, Jeff Passan of ESPN.com reports. The Mets have been shopping McCann around all offseason and have found a taker in the Orioles. New York will cover $19 million of the $24.3 million still owed to the catcher over the next two seasons, per Mark Feinsand of MLB.com. McCann will back up Adley Rutschman in Baltimore, so playing time figures to be sparse. The Mets still have Omar Narvaez, Tomas Nido and Francisco Alvarez as catching options."

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/orioles-james-mccann-headed-to-baltimore/

Edited by ExWNYer