Mets fans?

Another Fan

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

Good news for me. I'll probably just miss the first few innings of games 2 and 3.

Have a great time at the Bills game!

Thanks, man!!!  Looks like Squirrel has the batting championship locked.  I think Freeman needed to go 4-4 today and right now he's 2-3 with one more AB coming.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

Good news for me. I'll probably just miss the first few innings of games 2 and 3.

Have a great time at the Bills game!

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Thanks, man!!!  Looks like Squirrel has the batting championship locked.  I think Freeman needed to go 4-4 today and right now he's 2-3 with one more AB coming.  

It's official.  Squirrel is the MLB Batting Champion!!

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

It's official.  Squirrel is the MLB Batting Champion!!

Yep, Freeman ended up 3-4 (.325) and Squirrel sat (.326) until the 9th when he came in defensively for Lidor so that Frankie could take a bow and get a standing ovation from the Citi Field crowd.

Looks like this will be the Mets pitching rotation vs the Padres:

Game 1: Scherzer.
Game 2: Bassitt if the Mets win Game 1, deGrom, if the Mets lose Game 1. 
Game 3: deGrom or Bassitt (see above), if Game 3 is necessary

Scherzer needs to be lights out because Yu Darvish owns the Mets. He's 5-0 lifetime with a 2.56 ERA and 9.9 Ks/9 IP. If the Mets can win Games 1 & 2, that sets them up to start deGrom for Game 1 against the Dodgers. That would be huge.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Yep, Freeman ended up 3-4 (.325) and Squirrel sat (.326) until the 9th when he came in defensively for Lidor so that Frankie could take a bow and get a standing ovation from the Citi Field crowd.

Looks like this will be the Mets pitching rotation vs the Padres:

Game 1: Scherzer.
Game 2: Bassitt if the Mets win Game 1, deGrom, if the Mets lose Game 1. 
Game 3: deGrom or Bassitt (see above), if Game 3 is necessary

Scherzer needs to be lights out because Yu Darvish owns the Mets. He's 5-0 lifetime with a 2.56 ERA and 9.9 Ks/9 IP. If the Mets can win Games 1 & 2, that sets them up to start deGrom for Game 1 against the Dodgers. That would be huge.

I heard that in addition to Game 1, it also would set DeGrom up for Game 5 against the Dodgers. Max would go game 2 and possibly be available to relieve in Game 5.

• Like (+1) 2

Wow, there are no words for what a complete and utter shite show Game 1 was. 'Bad Max' Scherzer reared his ugly head...again. This was like the Atlanta series redux. Nightmare personified. And, even more depressing, they could get swept away at home tomorrow in what could very well be deGrom's last game ever in a Met uni. <sigh>

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Wow, there are no words for what a complete and utter shite show Game 1 was. 'Bad Max' Scherzer reared his ugly head...again. This was like the Atlanta series redux. Nightmare personified. And, even more depressing, they could get swept away at home tomorrow in what could very well be deGrom's last game ever in a Met uni. <sigh>

I'm not one for booing athletes but if I was at the game Mad Max would of heard some from me.  For $43 million a year that was pathetic.  If he actually was pitching hurt shame on him for still going out there and not thinking of the team first.

While yeah Max frustrated me, Escobar has been the only offense.  Lindor is another player whose not looking too good now 

Good win.  DeGrom wasn't perfect but did what he had too.  

Buck has been great but some of his logic last night made me shake my head:

Why is Canha bating ahead of McNeil?

I know they got bailed out but it seemed he wanted Diaz to do a 3 inning save?  

What a disgrace Game 3 was...one freaking hit. 'The Big 3' were an abject failure in the last Atlanta series and the Wild Card series. This team was supposed to be built on its starting pitching but they all came up small when it mattered. Despite winning 101 games...the 2nd most in franchise history...choking away the division and then the WC series at home makes this season an epic fail, IMO.

There was a lot of fun along the way but, ultimately, it left a bitter taste...a familiar taste like every other Met failure over the years. So close but always farther away than it seemed. They have spent more time in 1st Place over the last two years than any other team in baseball and have absolutely nothing to show for it. No World Series appearances...no division titles...no playoff series wins...nothing. This franchise and, more importantly, its fans...just can't have nice things.

There will be a lot of turnover and change coming this off season which is why this one stings so much. Next year will be, if not a rebuild, a major retool at least and this division looks like it will run thru Atlanta for the next decade at least. It's been a long, exhausting baseball season and I am done until the 'Hot Stove' starts up again. I will probably peek at the World Series for a few minutes here and there but I have no interest in watching the Dodgers, Phillies, or Braves and especially not the Skanks from the Bronx. It was fun boys, just not fun enough.

GO BILLS!!!

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

What a disgrace Game 3 was...one freaking hit. 'The Big 3' were an abject failure in the last Atlanta series and the Wild Card series. This team was supposed to be built on its starting pitching but they all came up small when it mattered. Despite winning 101 games...the 2nd most in franchise history...choking away the division and then the WC series at home makes this season an epic fail, IMO.

There was a lot of fun along the way but, ultimately, it left a bitter taste...a familiar taste like every other Met failure over the years. So close but always farther away than it seemed. They have spent more time in 1st Place over the last two years than any other team in baseball and have absolutely nothing to show for it. No World Series appearances...no division titles...no playoff series wins...nothing. This franchise and, more importantly, its fans...just can't have nice things.

There will be a lot of turnover and change coming this off season which is why this one stings so much. Next year will be, if not a rebuild, a major retool at least and this division looks like it will run thru Atlanta for the next decade at least. It's been a long, exhausting baseball season and I am done until the 'Hot Stove' starts up again. I will probably peek at the World Series for a few minutes here and there but I have no interest in watching the Dodgers, Phillies, or Braves and especially not the Skanks from the Bronx. It was fun boys, just not fun enough.

GO BILLS!!!

Well put. It was a collective failure that started right after the Dodgers series. I kept hoping they'd snap out of the funk but it never happened. Biggest disappoint for me was Jake and Max down the stretch. 

Hard to reconcile the team we watched this past month vs. the team earlier this year when Nimmo seemed to open every game with a 10 pitch walk or HBP, Pete was crushing, Max was dealing ane the trumpets for Diaz were an event. 

It will be interesting to see if Jake walks. Nothing I've heard from him makes me think he wants to stay. I think the infield will  stay intact next year - with the Mets hoping that Baty becomes the starter at 3rd.  They need an upgrade in the OF. Canha is a solid player but not a star. I like Nimmo but he really isn't a CFer. Mets could move Marte back to CF if they don't bring Nimmo back. Seems obvious they'll move on from McCann and go into next year with Nido/Alvarez - also hoping that Alvarez becomes the #1.  I expect at least 2 of the 5 starters to not be back. Bullpen is always a merry-go-round - especially with Diaz being a free agent.

• Thank you (+1) 1

deGrom is as good as gone, IMO. He is a southern guy and I don't think he was ever really a fan of playing in NYC. Just cryptic little things he has said over the last year or so lead me to believe he's gone unless Cohen absolutely makes him "an offer he can't refuse." My fear is that he signs with Atlanta and miraculously never gets injured again, sailing into the HOF as a Brave.

I also think it's a pipe dream for any Met fan who actually thinks Judge is coming to Flushing. I have a feeling he either goes to the Giants who want to make a splash and have the money to do so or he stays with the Skanks.

I'd love for Nimmo to stay but I'm not sure that happens either. If Alvarez is not handed the catching job out of Spring Training, and Nido is no more than the backup  catcher, and McCann't is not bought out/DFA'd then Eppler should be fired on the spot. McCann't was a $40 million misfire and should be nowhere near this organization next year. Worst acquisition since Jason Bay, IMO, and that is saying something.

Atlanta is positioned for sustained success and the 'The Mets' are heading back to being 'The Mess' once again. Get this farm system on par with the best and buy to fill in where needed. I'm tired of overpriced, under-performing short-term 'fixes'.

LGM

Edited by ExWNYer

6 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

deGrom is as good as gone, IMO. He is a southern guy and I don't think he was ever really a fan of playing in NYC. Just cryptic little things he has said over the last year or so lead me to believe he's gone unless Cohen absolutely makes him "an offer he can't refuse." My fear is that he signs with Atlanta and miraculously never gets injured again, sailing into the HOF as a Brave.

I also think it's a pipe dream for any Met fan who actually thinks Judge is coming to Flushing. I have a feeling he either goes to the Giants who want to make a splash and have the money to do so or he stays with the Skanks.

I'd love for Nimmo to stay but I'm not sure that happens either. If Alvarez is not handed the catching job out of Spring Training, and Nido is no more than the backup  catcher, and McCann't is not bought out/DFA'd then Eppler should be fired on the spot. McCann't was a $40 million misfire and should be nowhere near this organization next year. Worst acquisition since Jason Bay, IMO, and that is saying something.

Atlanta is positioned for sustained success and the 'The Mets' are heading back to being 'The Mess' once again. Get this farm system on par with the best and buy to fill in where needed. I'm tired of overpriced, under-performing short-term 'fixes'.

LGM

DeGrom: Cohen has already made it clear that he won't be out-bidded - but I think you're right that Jake will go elsewhere - Braves would be a nightmare.

Judge: If he doesn't stay with the Yankees the Giants are a natural. Unless Cohen opens up the checkbook. That would be more likely if Jake walks IMO

Appreciate your thoughts and comments but comparing Bay to McCann is off the mark. Both were mistakes, one was far more detrimental and costly. McCann's contract won't hold back Cohen's Mets like Bay's did for Wilpon's Mets.

As to the farm system: teams like the Braves and Cardinals do a better job than us. Wish I knew why.

2 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

DeGrom: Cohen has already made it clear that he won't be out-bidded - but I think you're right that Jake will go elsewhere - Braves would be a nightmare.

Judge: If he doesn't stay with the Yankees the Giants are a natural. Unless Cohen opens up the checkbook. That would be more likely if Jake walks IMO

Appreciate your thoughts and comments but comparing Bay to McCann is off the mark. Both were mistakes, one was far more detrimental and costly. McCann's contract won't hold back Cohen's Mets like Bay's did for Wilpon's Mets.

As to the farm system: teams like the Braves and Cardinals do a better job than us. Wish I knew why.

I have no doubt Cohen would be willing to outbid anyone for deGrom. The issue to me is that deGrom does not want to stay. I guess we will see soon enough.

McCann't certainly didn't/won't hamstring Cohen's Mets financially like Bay did the Coupons' Mets. My point was not about the money, it was about the complete bust factor and bad fit. He is on par with Bay and and an over-the-hill George Foster, IMO. I know Foster was more a PR move for a moribund franchise trying to put fannies in the seats but he was awful as was Bay and as is McCann't. Comparisons aside, I don't ever want to see him in a Met uni ever again. Out, out damn spot!

10 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

10 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

I have no doubt Cohen would be willing to outbid anyone for deGrom. The issue to me is that deGrom does not want to stay. I guess we will see soon enough.

McCann't certainly didn't/won't hamstring Cohen's Mets financially like Bay did the Coupons' Mets. My point was not about the money, it was about the complete bust factor and bad fit. He is on par with Bay and and an over-the-hill George Foster, IMO. I know Foster was more a PR move for a moribund franchise trying to put fannies in the seats but he was awful as was Bay and as is McCann't. Comparisons aside, I don't ever want to see him in a Met uni ever again. Out, out damn spot!

I think keeping Diaz should be a priority.  Definitely a priority over keeping deGrom.  I don't trust that deGrom will ever be available for "most" of any season.  The best ability is availability.  This season hinged on the health of Scherzer and deGrom and neither stayed healthy.

Huge kudos to Showalter, Walker, Bassitt and Carrasco for keeping the Mets in first place for a huge chunk of the season without having the two "aces," on any consistent basis.

I think overpaying deGrom would be a mistake.  Period.

McCann is a bum.  We are all in agreement, there.

Not calling up Alvarez sooner was a costly mistake.  He absolutely should be handed the number one C spot, without hesitation.

I am confident that Eppler and Cohen will make good, positive moves/non-moves in the offseason and I am excited for 2023.

11 hours ago, Gugny said:

I think keeping Diaz should be a priority.  Definitely a priority over keeping deGrom.  I don't trust that deGrom will ever be available for "most" of any season.  The best ability is availability.  This season hinged on the health of Scherzer and deGrom and neither stayed healthy.

Huge kudos to Showalter, Walker, Bassitt and Carrasco for keeping the Mets in first place for a huge chunk of the season without having the two "aces," on any consistent basis.

I think overpaying deGrom would be a mistake.  Period.

McCann is a bum.  We are all in agreement, there.

Not calling up Alvarez sooner was a costly mistake.  He absolutely should be handed the number one C spot, without hesitation.

I am confident that Eppler and Cohen will make good, positive moves/non-moves in the offseason and I am excited for 2023.

I agree with most of this, Gug, especially that keeping Diaz should be a priority. Hard to believe that only a year or so ago we may have been singing a different tune. If deGrom walks, they need to allocate those would be funds wisely. There will be holes all over the roster...starting pitching, relief pitching, and bats. They need some reliable sticks with power who can hit in the clutch and they have to properly address the DH position. Hopefully, Vientos is up to that challenge but that remains to be seen. There will be a lot of "hoping"...Vientos at DH, Baty at 3rd, Alvarez behind the dish plus new faces trying to fit in and mesh cohesively.

I generally like Buck but he made a lot of head scratching moves with the bullpen, IMO, and he stubbornly (and inexplicably) stuck by Darin Ruf. Speaking of Ruf, it was criminal to surrender four assets, no matter what level, for someone like him. And the trade deadline didn't yield enough to sustain the team down the stretch. That is squarely on Eppler. I'm still not sold on him and the jury is still out in my eyes. He's going to have to show me more. I'm glad Sandy Alderson is finally stepping away, too. He was underwhelming over the years when it came to assembling a bullpen and his record of GM hires and attempted hires before he stumbled upon Eppler was abysmal. His managerial choices prior to Buck were also embarrassingly bad. They have to hire a really good President of Baseball Operations, as well. That's almost as high on my list of needs as the players.

18 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

I agree with most of this, Gug, especially that keeping Diaz should be a priority. Hard to believe that only a year or so ago we may have been singing a different tune. If deGrom walks, they need to allocate those would be funds wisely. There will be holes all over the roster...starting pitching, relief pitching, and bats. They need some reliable sticks with power who can hit in the clutch and they have to properly address the DH position. Hopefully, Vientos is up to that challenge but that remains to be seen. There will be a lot of "hoping"...Vientos at DH, Baty at 3rd, Alvarez behind the dish plus new faces trying to fit in and mesh cohesively.

I generally like Buck but he made a lot of head scratching moves with the bullpen, IMO, and he stubbornly (and inexplicably) stuck by Darin Ruf. Speaking of Ruf, it was criminal to surrender four assets, no matter what level, for someone like him. And the trade deadline didn't yield enough to sustain the team down the stretch. That is squarely on Eppler. I'm still not sold on him and the jury is still out in my eyes. He's going to have to show me more. I'm glad Sandy Alderson is finally stepping away, too. He was underwhelming over the years when it came to assembling a bullpen and his record of GM hires and attempted hires before he stumbled upon Eppler was abysmal. His managerial choices prior to Buck were also embarrassingly bad. They have to hire a really good President of Baseball Operations, as well. That's almost as high on my list of needs as the players.

I cannot, and will not, disagree with ANYTHING you said.  Perfectly stated.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/15/2022 at 7:38 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Can't believe I was rooting for the Philles, now they can go !@#$ themselves!

It's been fun seeing ex Mets on the remaining playoff teams. Sewald, Kelenic, Montero, Rosario, Jimenez, D'Arnaud, Wheeler, Thor...did I miss anyone?

It was fun to watch Rosario.  Bummed they couldn't finish the Yankees off.  

Wheeler had himself a night last night.  I am all-in on the Phillies.  I had no problem rooting for the Padres against the Dodgers.  But I really, really, really can't stand Machado.  I'm not a huge fan of Schwarber and/or Harper ... but they're not dirty bastards like Machado is.

I also can't stand the Astros, but I'm definitely rooting for them to take the Yankees down.